OTTI 13 O-Cha Shincha

"Official Tea Tasting Initiative" Teas shared & discussed.

Re: OTTI 13 O-Cha Shincha

Postby Chip » Jul 11th, '12, 16:38

Chiran, YM's cousin. Well, this one was "like a box of chocolates, I never knew what I was going to get." (Forest Gump-ism) Plus I sometimes sensed a little cocoa in the background. :mrgreen:

Clearly this does not rival the main contender, Yutaka Midori, despite sharing the same cultivar. But sometimes it was very good, sometimes just good, and sometimes simply OK.

Warming dry leaf aroma 3.75 ...
Brew 3.75
Overall 3.75
Value rating taking into account cost ... 4.0, I consider this to be a pretty good value, and the value rating is higher than the overall rating

I have a little left over, I am going to cold brew and see what happens!
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Chip » Jul 11th, '12, 16:40

Last but not least! Kirameki.

This one brewed up much better for me after I scaled back either time or the ratio. It is pretty intense asamushi brewed full throttle ... or gentle and lovely brewed softly.

Warming dry leaf aroma 3.75 ...
Brew 4.5
Overall 4.25
Value rating taking into account cost ... still 4.0 Kirameki is a premium cost asamushi. Side by side, I might take the Aoi ... I wish I had more of each and could do this.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby minor_glitch » Jul 11th, '12, 19:29

Finally got time to upload a few quick Miyabi photos.

Didn't use enough leaf the first time around, so I fixed that on round two and it came out much better. The first time I was slightly reminded of licking a copper penny, but that mellowed out and all the other grassy, vegetable qualities came forward with more leaf. Really enjoyable.
I think 'brewed hot and strong' like AdamMY said, is the key to this one.
minor_glitch

Postby Poohblah » Jul 11th, '12, 23:28

minor_glitch wrote:The first time I was slightly reminded of licking a copper penny
I usually find that metallic tastes like this come from the water and not from the tea. Also, where did you find a copper penny to lick?? Pennies have been made from nickel and zinc for decades. [edit - nevermind, looked on the wiki - they're made from copper-plated zinc]
Poohblah

Postby minor_glitch » Jul 12th, '12, 01:31

Poohblah wrote:I usually find that metallic tastes like this come from the water and not from the tea. Also, where did you find a copper penny to lick?? Pennies have been made from nickel and zinc for decades. [edit - nevermind, looked on the wiki - they're made from copper-plated zinc]

You know what, you might be on to something there. I had just started using a new Brita filter a few days before brewing my first round of this tea. Maybe that's why the taste was smoother for the seconds round a few weeks later. Hmm...
minor_glitch

Postby David R. » Jul 15th, '12, 05:01

I keep giving chances to these sencha, but I must say that I am overall a little disappointed. All of them have nice to incredible aromas, especially when placing the dry leaves in my warm kyusu, but it kind of stops there for the fun part as far as I am concerned. I was expecting more depth, teas that would leave a print in my mouth/throat, especially given their prices.

Sorry to be the black sheep here. I've decided to give my honest opinion and not just go along with others or say nothing. It is only my humble opinion, not worth a lot anyway...
David R.

Postby Chip » Jul 15th, '12, 13:32

Sorry these did not work out for you, David.

Perhaps yours had a rough journey to you. Unfortunately I do not have any remaining samples from this round to resend to you.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby shinobicha » Jul 20th, '12, 16:42

I would have to agree with others... so far I've just had YM, and it was very good, definitely better than last year, imho.

Last year, it was far more deeply steamed, and I never really like those ultra-deep steamed teas. This year seems to be very different -- there are many (probably more than 50%) long needles. I think it is better balanced this year - rather than being like last year's pure umami explosion.

Thankfully, after I had finished the sample, I knew I still had an unopened 100g in the cupboard.
shinobicha

Postby David R. » Jul 20th, '12, 17:31

Well, I am very happy everybody enjoy their shincha ! :)

I am wondering why I have had these results several times (I had the double treat, that's 4 sessions with each of them) while I'd like to think that I have improved my brewing style lately, paying attention to water a lot and brewing samples mostly in a very decent porcelain hohin.

I've had absolutely no problem with my other shincha coming from Japan, which have never been so good.

Well, I guess I will let it go for now and try again these shincha next year !
David R.

Postby debunix » Jul 22nd, '12, 13:19

Tried the Miyabi today:

3 grams of dark green long needle-like leaves in Petr Novak shiboridashi, preheated, water to 160 degrees.

First infusion 60 seconds, delicious sweet deep rich green vegetal and delicate.

Second infusion, 30 seconds, a little brine in the sweet deep green. Lovely.

170 degrees, 45 seconds; 180 degrees, 90 seconds; and still very nice deep rich flavor, though getting a little grassy at the last, and a bit of astringency peeking through.

Really pushed it with water about 200 degrees and 3 minutes final infusion, and it was still very nice, thinning flavor and hints of astringency but still more grassy-sweet.

The leaves are not the prettiest olive green after the infusions, but they've done enough. I'd call this one very good--4.5.
debunix

Postby debunix » Jul 22nd, '12, 23:16

A couple more this afternoon

Sae Midori

3 grams, very small fragments of deep green leaf, nice scent in preheated shibo, but brininess is apparent in first infusion. Deep, rich, sweet, briny--the briny/umami is heavier than I prefer, but there is absolutely nothing astringent or bitter or unpleasant. After this first infusion, the leaves are an amazing shade of green, like mature--not young--pine needles.

2nd at 20 seconds, the briny taste is stronger.

170 for 45 seconds, briny without much sweet--spinach plus umami.

score for me is a 3--just because it's not a flavor profile I prefer.

Yutaka Midori (Y)
2.8 grams in the shibo, large fragments of leaf, 160 degrees, delicious, sweet, spring vegetables, intense, sugar snap peas.

20 seconds 160 degrees, second infusion, delicious--suggestion of brine, but not briny.

30 seconds 170 degrees, shorter because I was afraid it would be too intense, and indeed, there is some astringency and briny flavor that are a little bit intimidating--short was good.

Noting the leaves are a bright rich green, opened up into quite large fragments, as it steeps in 180 degree water for about a minute: and the result is a little briny, a little astringent, but still mostly sweet.

For me, this one is a 4, tasty, but not as congenial as the Miyabi.
debunix

Postby minor_glitch » Jul 26th, '12, 02:51

I FINALLY got around to snapping my last few photos for Chiran and YM.

Chiran:

1st on left, 2nd on right.

minor_glitch

Postby minor_glitch » Jul 26th, '12, 02:56

YM:

Ok, that's it for my photos. I promise I'll use a less ugly cup for the next two OTTI rounds!
minor_glitch

OTTI 13 O-Cha Shincha

Postby debunix » Jul 26th, '12, 03:42

Cute little blue & white cup deserves better than to be called ugly!
debunix

Postby Stentor » Jul 26th, '12, 03:51

Wonderful posts, minor_glitch!
Very nice for those of us not participating in this OTTI.

Oh and and that cup is not ugly at all!
Stentor

PreviousNext

Instant Messenger

Permissions