Japan Black

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Dec 18th, '07, 20:03

Japan Black

by joelbct » Dec 18th, '07, 20:03

Tried a Japanese Black Tea for the first time recently, Isogawa Kocha.

Not terribly impressed- It was mild, which isn't bad in itself, and kind of bland- serviceable but nothing outstanding.

Has anyone had any Japanese Black Tea's which they enjoyed?

Dec 22nd, '07, 01:43
Location: Somewhere in the wilds of Montana, but never without a teacup.

by skywarrior » Dec 22nd, '07, 01:43

I don't think I've ever tried a Japanese black tea. But I'd imagine since their specialty is green, I suspect that they're probably unremarkable.

Dec 22nd, '07, 01:59

by Wesli » Dec 22nd, '07, 01:59

Where did thou source it?

Dec 22nd, '07, 02:27
Scrolling: scrolling

by scruffmcgruff » Dec 22nd, '07, 02:27

Salsero gave me a link not long ago. The vendor is called Tfactor (though I'm sure there are others), and though they mostly sell Assams, they offer a Japanese black.

Japanese black tea actually has quite a history– Chip posted about it not long ago, but I can't seem to find the thread.

Dec 22nd, '07, 02:50

by Wesli » Dec 22nd, '07, 02:50

I remember that, good thread. I wonder if Jowel sourced from the T-factor.

Dec 22nd, '07, 03:11

by Wesli » Dec 22nd, '07, 03:11

T-Factor:

http://www.tfactor.us/catalog/limited-e ... a-706.html

The "Broken Leaf" part is somewhat disconcerting.

Dec 22nd, '07, 08:50
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Dec 22nd, '07, 08:50

Scruff McGruff wrote:Salsero gave me a link not long ago. The vendor is called Tfactor (though I'm sure there are others), and though they mostly sell Assams, they offer a Japanese black.

Japanese black tea actually has quite a history– Chip posted about it not long ago, but I can't seem to find the thread.
Jeez, the search function of TeaChat is not stellar, but here is my post from that thread. That was an "intense tea discussion."

I had researched Japanese black tea some time ago. This is from the Kagoshima Prefectoral Tea Research Experiment Station notes. Google Kagoshima black tea for more info. But there was a long period of experimentation into black tea production in Kagoshima that was simply experimentation, never really came to fruition.

Also, I have read where one Japanese producer sold a black tea blend last year, calling it Japanese black tea. But upon reading it, it had Japanese green tea mixed with Darjeeling black.

Here is the chronology of the black tea experiment. Copyright © 1998-2007 Japan Science and Technology Agency(JST).

1901 Makurazaki Branch, Tea Experiment Station, Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry was established. The black tea breeding experiments specified by Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry were transferred to the Station.
1929 The black tea breeding experiment designated by Ministry of Agriculture was commenced. The station was opened as Kagoshima Agriculture Experiment Station Chiran Branch. (Kisanukihara Chiran Cho)
1934 The station was renamed Kagoshima Agriculture Experiment Station Chiran Black Tea Branch.
1939 Makurazaki Black Tea Experimental Farm of the branch was established.
1940 The station was moved to the current location (Nagasato Chiran Cho).
1946 The designated black tea breeding experiment was ceased.
1953 The designated black tea breeding experiment was resumed.
1954 The 25th anniversary was held.
1958 The station was separated from Kagoshima Agriculture Experimental Station and reformed to Kagoshima Tea Experiment Station.
1961 According to the set up of Makurazaki Branch of Tea Experiment Station of Ministry of Agriculture, the designated development experiment of new black tea varieties was transferred to the branch.
1969 As the promotion of the black tea production by the national and prefectural policies was discontinued, the main emphasis was placed on the studies on green tea.
1978 The characterization certification examination specified by the Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries was initiated (rupture type freezing damage).
1979 Green Tea Experiment Factory and Tea Farming Training House were set up.
1980 Makurazaki Experiment Station was closed. Commemorative ceremony was performed for the 50th anniversary of foundation.
1982 Tea Farming Department was set up in Kagoshima Prefectural Agricultural College.
1983 Osumi Tea Guidance Center was closed and reorganized to Osumi Branch, Kagoshima Prefecture Tea Experiment Station.
1985 The first issue of Research Report of the Tea Experiment Station was published.
2003 Tea Farming Department was closed.

Dec 22nd, '07, 12:22

by joelbct » Dec 22nd, '07, 12:22

Got it off-menu at the Ito En store in manhattan... just as a novelty, sort of.

+ Post Reply