OTTI 15 MountainTea, Range of Taiwan Oolong

"Official Tea Tasting Initiative" Teas shared & discussed.

Re: OTTI 15 MountainTea, Range of Taiwan Oolong

Postby sherubtse » Jul 24th, '12, 21:22

Chip wrote:Sorry for the delay in replying, I have been getting my mother situated in a new rehab facilty.

Hope she is doing well, and that the surgery was successful.

Chip wrote:All the OTTIs have been packaged with care,
in hopes they will be delivered to TCers near and far!
:mrgreen:

With a little luck these will be shipped tomorrow (Wednesday)! I will post after shipped so you know ...

That's good to hear! I'd really like to have the teas in hand before I go away for a few weeks in August. :)

Best wishes,
sherubtse
sherubtse

Postby Poohblah » Jul 24th, '12, 22:45

No worries :) I hope your mother is doing well! I am looking forward to this, as I am running out of tea at the moment (partially intentionally)
Poohblah

Postby Chip » Jul 25th, '12, 16:41

Thank you kindly! She is doing OK.

OTTI 15 is officially enroute to all points near and far! Be on the lookout ... :mrgreen:

To celebrate, a tasting of MountainTea ... Bai Hao I think.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby laura99 » Jul 25th, '12, 17:29

Thanks Chip! Hope all went well with your Mother.

Petr shipped me a couple of shibo's last Monday, hopefully they will be here at the same time to assit with the tasting!
laura99

Postby MIKE_B » Jul 25th, '12, 17:43

Very excited about this OTTI. Tomorrow or the next day. Chip's packages reach me lickity-split. Been training my Formosa taste buds with FLT's spring oolongs in preparation for this event. I'm ready...come at me!

But more importantly, I am glad to hear you got your Mom settled and she is doing ok, Chip.
MIKE_B

Postby sherubtse » Jul 25th, '12, 20:57

Chip wrote:OTTI 15 is officially enroute to all points near and far! Be on the lookout ... :mrgreen:

Many thanks, Chip! :mrgreen:

Best wishes,
sherubtse
sherubtse

Postby Drax » Jul 27th, '12, 17:06

Oooooooooooooooooolong!!

I couldn't resist... broke into the Li Shan (especially after all that discussion in the oolong thread about Li Shan). The tea has a wonderful aroma. I really enjoy green oolongs, and I'm really enjoying this one -- I'm on the 5th steep so far and will take it a few more after dinner. Lingering floral, sweet, very nice. Mmmmm. Great start...!
Drax

Postby Chip » Jul 27th, '12, 19:51

Thank you everyone who is participating in this OTTI 15 round! There was a LOT of demand!

My apologies, with everything going on here I neglected to mention that I was able to fill 2X orders only until the samples all ran out ... only a few participants actually received the 2X.

There was a lot of demand for this round and of course I made certain everyone confirmed received a full set of all six samples. But then there were quite a lot of participants who requested doubling up, 2X. Unfortunately there were not enough samples to fill the 2X this OTTI round.

Therefore those of you who requested a 2X but did not receive the 2nd set of samples (and there were quite a few of you) will receive a refund for the 2nd set. Look for this refund this weekend. If you do not receive it by Monday, please let me know (once you received your OTTI package and see if you received the 2nd set or not).
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Gregg » Jul 28th, '12, 11:43

Hi Chip,

The package arrived yesterday. I am going to try to make each pack last for two sessions - and make those little cups count. I hope, if some quiet time and cooler weather prevail, to start tonight.

Thanks for all your efforts.

Gregg
Gregg

Postby Drax » Jul 28th, '12, 11:59

Broke into the Imperial Pearl this morning.... so aromatic. The leaves in the package reminded me of smelling a bag of chocolate chips!

I am really enjoying the high oxidation of this one, especially with the lack of roast (so many higher oxidation oolongs seem to be roasted for some reason) -- a great ability for the strong sweetness and other qualities (faint hints of orange, for example) to shine.

The aftertaste reminds me strongly of Blue Moon or a Shock Top..... love it.

Mmmmmmmmmm.
Drax

Postby tst » Jul 28th, '12, 15:59

Just got mine within the last hour.

At first I was bummed to see I only received the x1 instead of the x2 I had asked for ...

... BUT after a quick look inward and deeper reason, I considered the fact that more will be able to partake in this tasting, meaning more will provide their unique insight and opinions (which is the entire point of doing these). This not only benefits others, but also those of us who are already receiving x1.

So, whoever stole ( :mrgreen: ) my extra samples, you're welcome ... and I'm glad you did!

:lol:
tst

Postby AdamMY » Jul 28th, '12, 16:50

Mountain Tea Imperial Pearl by Adam Yusko, on Flickr

Trying one I've never heard of: Imperial Pearl.

Dry leaf looks and smells amazing, quite dark and full of welcoming roasted aromas. With a good bit of spices in there to mix it up, and a slight note of milk chocolate. I will say these are tiny tiny little rolled up leaves, not as big as you typically seen from Taiwanese Oolongs.

Its interesting, though not my favorite taste wise, lots of spice, but the off putting part is it has a musky taste you sometimes find in certain red teas ( and those are the types of red teas I usually avoid).

Second infusion is almost a bit like bad perfume on the nose, and still the strong musk in the taste. But it has a good throat and mouth feel, and its definitely refreshing my body after the 5k, I did earlier.

Third infusion smells better, tastes better too. The good thing is I think this tea can go for many many infusions. I don't want to take notes on all of them so I will stop the notes here.

Rating: 3.0/5
AdamMY

Postby BioHorn » Jul 28th, '12, 17:32

Chip wrote:Thank you everyone who is participating in this OTTI 15 round! There was a LOT of demand!

My apologies, with everything going on here I neglected to mention that I was able to fill 2X orders only until the samples all ran out ... only a few participants actually received the 2X.

There was a lot of demand for this round and of course I made certain everyone confirmed received a full set of all six samples. But then there were quite a lot of participants who requested doubling up, 2X. Unfortunately there were not enough samples to fill the 2X this OTTI round.

Therefore those of you who requested a 2X but did not receive the 2nd set of samples (and there were quite a few of you) will receive a refund for the 2nd set. Look for this refund this weekend. If you do not receive it by Monday, please let me know (once you received your OTTI package and see if you received the 2nd set or not).

After so much OTTI sencha it sounds like the proverbial cork popped. Great to hear there was high demand. Now the question is 2x 5g or one ten gram brew?!

Best wishes for your mother's full and speedy recovery.
BioHorn

Postby tea.and.peace » Jul 28th, '12, 18:33

I was surprised to get my OTTI delivery today. I'm starting with green, and working my way up. I usually like green the most.

I started with Li Shan spring. 12.2 grams was included in the packet so I'll get 3 sessions with this. 180-90 degree water, 4 grams in 120ml gaiwan. 30, 20, 40, 1:00, 1:20, 1:40, 2:00 time.

Flowery, creamy. I not a big fan of the flowery side, but the tea was very pleasant. Spent leaves were a variety of full leaves, and some broken beat up leaves. The leaves condition could have been better, but the tea was a enjoyable session.

I'll probably try the Jade on Sunday. Then take the rest of the week to finish off the green before I move on to the medium. I'm looking most forward to trying the medium TGY. Most of these teas are floral which seems to be the current market focus. I prefer fruity, but enjoy Taiawan high mountain oolongs the most. Though green Long Jing is my #1. With Taiwan at #2 for variety.

Thank you for the tasting. I'd like to see this vendor offer smaller packets before making a 2 oz purchase. This is my main issue with them. I'd rather buy 10 oz or something first before a 2 oz purchase. So I may lean with other vendors because of this. Can certainly find similar quality with sample packet options. I'd rather pay a little more for less to sample test first.

Enjoyed the session today though.......
tea.and.peace

Postby Drax » Jul 28th, '12, 19:12

Chip wrote:I received an email from Chicco ...
Chicco wrote:Have been following the OTTI. Wanted to let you know the Imperial Pearl is not roasted :)

I thought I would re-quote this earlier update from Chip, as it provide some useful information.
Drax

PreviousNext

Instant Messenger

Permissions