OTTI 15 MountainTea, Range of Taiwan Oolong

"Official Tea Tasting Initiative" Teas shared & discussed.

Re: OTTI 15 MountainTea, Range of Taiwan Oolong

Postby AdamMY » Jul 28th, '12, 19:16

Drax wrote:
Chip wrote:I received an email from Chicco ...
Chicco wrote:Have been following the OTTI. Wanted to let you know the Imperial Pearl is not roasted :)

I thought I would re-quote this earlier update from Chip, as it provide some useful information.

Yeah oddly it smelled slightly roasted, but did not taste that way one bit what so ever. It tastes more like a red tea than an oolong, in my opinion.
AdamMY

Postby Poohblah » Jul 28th, '12, 20:06

Decided to start right in the middle, with the mid roast TGY. About 5gr in about 50mL of water, gongfu style. Boiling water (which is around 200F at my altitude). I'm really enjoying this one. I'm getting caramel, fresh baked bread, toasted bagel, coffee notes, in addition to the nice high floral notes I'm used to in greener oolongs, and a little bit of fruit as well - I think maybe apricot or nectarine lingering in the background? :)
Poohblah

Postby Drax » Jul 28th, '12, 21:43

AdamMY wrote:It tastes more like a red tea than an oolong, in my opinion.

Definitely... I think they said it was 90% oxidized, so it's nearly all the way to a red.

I tried this jade this afternoon, made it through a few steeps before having to go to dinner -- very light and green with the slightest hint of something (I call it 'eggy' but not quite sure how to pinpoint it).

I am enjoying all of these teas so far... looking forward to the rest, hopefully tomorrow!
Drax

Postby MIKE_B » Jul 28th, '12, 22:03

Brewed up the Jade oolong yesterday, gongfu. Entire sample into 120ml gaiwan. Boiling water. Flash rinse then 30s, 15s, 20s, 30s......stopped at around #12, brewed for a few minutes. This leaf still had some life in it, but it was getting late and I was very tired.
This was a brisk, clean tea. A little fruitiness, nice floral aroma. Slightly astringent aftertaste. For the amount of leaf I used, this tea was a little too light. There was no butteriness I look for in good gaoshan.
Checking the price of this one, it is a very good value. It would be a good choice for someone looking for an inexpensive everyday Formosa. Easy to brew. Easy to drink. Nice.
But, not too exciting. Rating this without considering it's price, comparing it to all other Taiwans I have had of this type...
...which is pretty good for about 13 cents a gram.
MIKE_B

Postby Chip » Jul 28th, '12, 22:41

BTW, here are Chicco's brewing parameters I received in an email. I will edit the brewing guidelines post that is a few posts into the topic for easy access as well.

The site's suggestions are mainly there for novice tea drinkers who need a starting point. Of course ratio, steep time, and even water temperature are more a matter of preference.

For seasoned tea drinkers, I'd say stick to what you're comfortable with. Here is a range of what I personally use for my teas

For green oolongs I prefer a Gaiwan

Jade Oolong
Cream, corn, floral
195-210F
5-8g/5-6floz
Lower temp => Floral
Higher temp => Sweet corn

LiShan, Sp12
Cream, gardenias, floral
200-210F
5-8g/150ml
Personally find it more aromatic and thicker mouthfeel @ higher temps

-----

For roasted teas:
Use Gaiwan for more roastiness
Use YiXing to mute roastiness

Medium Roast TieGuanYin
Toasted fruit/jam
200-210F
5-8g/5-6floz
Lower temp => fruit/jam
Higher temp => roasted fruit

Dong Ding Special Reserve
Sweet barley
205-210F
5-8g/5-6floz
Lower temp => Sweet barley
Higher temp => Roasted sweet barley

-----

Oriental Beauty Cake
Apricot & Spice
200-205F

Imperial Pearl
Nutmeg, orange peel, malt sugar, cocoa
200-210F
5-12g/5-6floz
9-12g @ ~0:30-1min => Sweeter
5g @ ~2:30-3min => Spicier

Hope this helps.

Chicco
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Chip » Jul 28th, '12, 22:49

AdamMY wrote:
Drax wrote:
Chicco wrote:Have been following the OTTI. Wanted to let you know the Imperial Pearl is not roasted :)

I thought I would re-quote this earlier update from Chip, as it provide some useful information.

Yeah oddly it smelled slightly roasted, but did not taste that way one bit what so ever. It tastes more like a red tea than an oolong, in my opinion.

Hopefully you have enough for another crack at this one ... as you know I am a greener is better kinda guy, but I really enjoyed this one. The cinnamon and spice notes were really quite nice.

Something may have been a bit off in your first crack at it perhaps ... I did not equate this with a red (I am guessing you mean red as in black) tea.

[EDIT] BTW, I did not really like the Dong Ding first session. I had to retune my expections based on what Chicco indicated (see brewing suggestions). Now I like it!

I mention this because sometimes first attempts for whatever reason do not wow me ... us.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Poohblah » Jul 28th, '12, 22:52

Thanks for the brewing parameters, Chip! I will try to remember to use lower temps the second time around to see if the flavor changes.
Poohblah

Postby Chip » Jul 28th, '12, 22:53

Poohblah wrote:Thanks for the brewing parameters, Chip! I will try to remember to use lower temps the second time around to see if the flavor changes.

My pleasure ... and thanks to Chicco for providing the suggestions as well.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby debunix » Jul 29th, '12, 03:59

Unfortunately I had just started a pot of Tie Guan Yin when the package arrived today, so the first tasting has to wait for tomorrow. Very excited for this one.
debunix

Postby MarshalN » Jul 29th, '12, 12:59

AdamMY wrote:
Drax wrote:

A lot of "green" oolongs have a light roast to them.
MarshalN

Postby tea.and.peace » Jul 29th, '12, 13:45

Tried the Jade this morning. I did a hotter water temp with this then I did the Li Shan.

I liked the Jade more I felt it was less floral, and more sweet. Which is what I prefer. I need to go back, and try the Li Shan at a higher water temp.

Though it seemed like the Jade compliments the Long Jing green tea drinker(as I am)better.

Generally the closer the leaves are to natural is what I prefer. The jade leaves were nice, and whole. They were hardly broken up at all. Much better then the Li Shan open leaves condition.
tea.and.peace

Postby Poohblah » Jul 29th, '12, 21:32

Next for me was the Li Shan. Sweet, a little eggy, a little buttery, slightly spicy, perhaps cinnamon and cumin. Dry leaf smelled wonderfully toasty and floral, but I didn't get those notes in the wet leaf or liquor. I felt like this tea lost flavor rather quickly; I didn't get too many brews out of it. I don't like green oolong in general, and this tea was no exception. To me, green oolong is like a duet of two piccolos - no supportive midrange or bass, just a lot of what sounds like shrieking. But for what it's worth, I did feel that this Li Shan was better than half the green oolongs I've tasted before.
Poohblah

Postby dshu » Jul 29th, '12, 22:11

Tried the Jade last night and the Li Shan this afternoon. This is my first experience with Taiwan Oolongs and I feel like these teas made a good first impression.

I brewed both about the same: 3g with just over 2oz water in a gaiwan, quick rinse and starting with infusions of about 30 sec.

Jade was light and floral, a little buttery, and had some sweetness I couldn't think how to describe, "sweet corn" might be right though. I found the Li Shan to be more floral with a sharper finish, less buttery, and not as sweet as the Jade. I definitely enjoyed both sessions. Hopefully I'll be able to pick up on more as I taste them again.
dshu

Postby spinmail » Jul 30th, '12, 00:15

I tasted three of the teas, and was quite pleased.

IMPERIAL PEARL
DRY LEAF: The hard, dry leaves were individually rolled irregularly into small green “pearls,” and are uniformly dark green in color. The unsteeped aroma is predictably, but not overwhelmingly vegetal.
INFUSED LIQUOR AROMA: Roasty and rich, similar in several ways to a Yunnan black tea.
INFUSED LIQUOR TASTE: Rich, aggressive roasted flavor. While roasted Yunnan teas will have a fair amount of tips to reduce the power of the liquor, Imperial Pearl is closer to a black tea in many ways. Clear, medium brown color. A morning tea guaranteed to coax you awake, with a certain amount of sweetness to allay the smokiness.
REMARKS: "Brandy oolong" is oxidized at around 90%, and the leaves are picked in summer. As a result, the flavor is deeper and more pronounced. This particular tea received recognition at the North American Tea Championship. You can easily reduce the intensity of the liquor by cutting down on the overall quantity of leaves before brewing.
RATING: 74/100, 4/5

JADE OOLONG
DRY LEAF: Each leaf is rolled into a roughly 1/4 inch pellet. Medium green, with occasional brown stems; fresh, green oolong aroma.
INFUSED LIQUOR AROMA: Refreshing spinach aroma
INFUSED LIQUOR TASTE: Fresh taste of cooked asparagus, healthful and satisfying. Clear, light/medium green liquor.
REMARKS: Each pellet of Jade Oolong opens into a tip and two leaves - full of flavor. Surprisingly smooth body - and, relatively speaking, a bargain.
RATING: 80/100, 4/5

ORIENTAL BEAUTY CAKE
DRY LEAF: Dark green with what looks like whitish buds. Peachy aroma, maybe a touch of taffy-like sweetness.
INFUSED LIQUOR AROMA: Honey brown with an ever-so-slight astringency.
INFUSED LIQUOR TASTE: Slightly restrained flavor - no astringency here - mixing honey and lychee and an afterthought of lemon; and as is the case with most Oriental Beauty, the taste is smooth and appealing.
REMARKS: Most Oriental Beauty tea is notable for the infamous insect-bitten leaves; this version has been pressed into a tea cake, an inventive way to make its appearance unique and appealing.
RATING: 79/100, 4/5
Last edited by spinmail on Aug 3rd, '12, 14:59, edited 4 times in total.
spinmail

Postby Geekgirl » Jul 30th, '12, 00:49

Whoops, guess I missed this one. Too bad for me, I like Taiwan oolongs. Merry tasting!
Geekgirl

PreviousNext

Instant Messenger

Permissions