decaf tea


Healthy herbs, rooibos, honeybush, decaf tea, and yerba mate.

decaf tea

Postby dikw2 » Sep 7th, '05, 17:22

Do you have access to decaffeinated gunpowder tea or know anyone that might carry it??
dikw2
 

Postby chris » Sep 8th, '05, 15:19

Thanks for the post.

Unfortunately, getting good quality decaffeinated specialty green teas is almost impossible, due to the fact that in Asia (where we get almost all of our teas) they don't have much decaffeinated tea.

However, there is an easy way to "make your own" decaf tea at home. Just brew a cup as normal, leaving the leaves in the hot water for about 30 seconds instead of 3 minutes. Then drain the tea leaves and rebrew.... The caffeine content is almost completely lost with the first brewing (in fact, just as much caffeine is equal to any commercial decaf!).

Hope this helps,

Chris
Adagio Maestro
User avatar
chris
 
Posts: 328
Joined: Jun 9th, '0
Location: NJ

Postby Ric » Sep 8th, '05, 22:27

chris wrote:Thanks for the post.

Unfortunately, getting good quality decaffeinated specialty green teas is almost impossible, due to the fact that in Asia (where we get almost all of our teas) they don't have much decaffeinated tea.

However, there is an easy way to "make your own" decaf tea at home. Just brew a cup as normal, leaving the leaves in the hot water for about 30 seconds instead of 3 minutes. Then drain the tea leaves and rebrew.... The caffeine content is almost completely lost with the first brewing (in fact, just as much caffeine is equal to any commercial decaf!).

Hope this helps,

Chris
Adagio Maestro


Does that effect the flavor much or any at all, and does that work with black teas, Oolong teas, ect...?
User avatar
Ric
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Aug 25th, '
Location: Gator Country

Postby teaspoon » Sep 8th, '05, 23:38

Ooh, ooh! I can answer that one!

Re-steeping won't affect the flavor in any negative way, at least not on a second or sometimes even a third steeping. Some people even say that the second steeping is better than the first, but I think that depends on the tea. Some oolongs say they have to be "washed" first, basically to rinse away the dust and such on the leaves.

What will be affected, however, is the health benefits. The stuff that fights cancer and all that seems to steep out with the caffeine. So if you're drinking it for that reason, you might want to rethink decaffing. If you drink it for the taste, fear not, your tea will still be wonderful!!!

~teaspoon
User avatar
teaspoon
 
Posts: 322
Joined: Jul 9th, '0

Postby Ric » Sep 8th, '05, 23:50

teaspoon wrote:Ooh, ooh! I can answer that one!

Re-steeping won't affect the flavor in any negative way, at least not on a second or sometimes even a third steeping. Some people even say that the second steeping is better than the first, but I think that depends on the tea. Some oolongs say they have to be "washed" first, basically to rinse away the dust and such on the leaves.

What will be affected, however, is the health benefits. The stuff that fights cancer and all that seems to steep out with the caffeine. So if you're drinking it for that reason, you might want to rethink decaffing. If you drink it for the taste, fear not, your tea will still be wonderful!!!

~teaspoon


Great, thanks for the 411!

I usually steep my tea only once anyway, one - I NEED the caffeine, two - I want the health benefits. :D
User avatar
Ric
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Aug 25th, '
Location: Gator Country

Re: decaf tea

Postby Guest » Sep 9th, '05, 11:03

What a great hint! Thanks loads.... Does that 30 second steeping also wash away the health benifits of the green tea ?

Lastly, an additional two part question.....

When one speaks of using loose tea for steeping a second time, does it mean the second steeping must be done within minutes or and hour, or does it mean the second steeping could be done by the next day or longer?.....If the next day, how does one preserve the tea leaves?
Guest
 

Re: decaf tea

Postby Ric » Sep 9th, '05, 11:14

Anonymous wrote:What a great hint! Thanks loads.... Does that 30 second steeping also wash away the health benifits of the green tea ?

Lastly, an additional two part question.....

When one speaks of using loose tea for steeping a second time, does it mean the second steeping must be done within minutes or and hour, or does it mean the second steeping could be done by the next day or longer?.....If the next day, how does one preserve the tea leaves?


Sad to say teaspoon sait it would wash away the health benifits.

As for part two of your question, sorry - I don't know. I aways throw out my tea after the first steeping.
User avatar
Ric
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Aug 25th, '
Location: Gator Country

Postby chris » Sep 9th, '05, 11:40

Thanks for the post.

This really depends on the tea. Some teas, like whites, greens and oolongs, will maintain a high level of quality when re-steeped. However, blacks and flavored teas usually are only good once.

Please keep in mind as well-- bacteria love used tea leaves, so don't wait much longer than a couple hours if you're going to rebrew!

Many thanks,

Chris
Adagio Maestro
User avatar
chris
 
Posts: 328
Joined: Jun 9th, '0
Location: NJ

Postby Ric » Sep 9th, '05, 13:59

chris wrote:Thanks for the post.

This really depends on the tea. Some teas, like whites, greens and oolongs, will maintain a high level of quality when re-steeped. However, blacks and flavored teas usually are only good once.

Please keep in mind as well-- bacteria love used tea leaves, so don't wait much longer than a couple hours if you're going to rebrew!

Many thanks,

Chris
Adagio Maestro


Awesome! That's great to know.

I have a lot of green, oolong teas plus one white tea. I'll try to resteep and see how it is to my taste.

Can you resteep pu erh teas?

And yes, I've seen what happens to steepes tea leaves after a few hours. YUCK!
User avatar
Ric
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Aug 25th, '
Location: Gator Country

Keeping steeped tea leaves fresh

Postby guest,too » Sep 11th, '05, 14:47

Please keep in mind as well-- bacteria love used tea leaves, so don't wait much longer than a couple hours if you're going to rebrew!

Chris

Please tell me if putting drained steeped tea leaves in the refrigeratior will keep them fresh? If so, how long? I would like to do this since the second and third steeping is sometimes better than the first. Sometimes I can't do the subsequent infusions immediately.
guest,too
 


Instant Messenger

Permissions
You cannot post new topics
You cannot reply to topics
You cannot edit your posts
You cannot delete your posts
You cannot post attachments
Navigation