OTTI 15 MountainTea, Range of Taiwan Oolong

"Official Tea Tasting Initiative" Teas shared & discussed.

Re: OTTI 15 MountainTea, Range of Taiwan Oolong

Postby spinmail » Aug 1st, '12, 22:22

Quite a variety of reactions here.

For those who still have some tea left, consider using a mug infuser rather than gongfu or gaiwan. This greatly increases the intensity of the infusion; brew at 180-200F for four to five minutes. (I infused about 1.4 cups of hot water with 3.3g of tea.) :D
spinmail

Postby Poohblah » Aug 1st, '12, 23:23

spinmail wrote:For those who still have some tea left, consider using a mug infuser rather than gongfu or gaiwan. This greatly increases the intensity of the infusion; brew at 180-200F for four to five minutes. (I infused about 1.4 cups of hot water with 3.3g of tea.) :D
Uh, I don't think that will actually do anything to increase the intensity of any of these teas, though it might make some of them more pleasant.
Poohblah

Postby debunix » Aug 1st, '12, 23:40

I can't figure out how to easily transform the table I created for this tasting into a text post here for TeaChat, so here is a link to the table as posted on my web page. I thought these were all quite nice teas, rated from 4 to 5. I started with a tandem tasting of all of them, 2 grams tea to 60mL water in small porcelain gaiwans, water not too hot (185), and increased time and temp through the three rounds done together, then left the setup all day and did additional infusions of the various teas between other activities, adjusting those to the temperature profile of each tea. Not surprisingly, some were a little more tempermental than others. I loved the LiShan particularly, score 5 for the wonderful delicate floral/vegetal balance.

I have since brewed a few of the teas separately: Tried the LiShan again, this time straight at 205 degrees, and in an unglazed shiboridashi. The magic was gone, and it was just a nice oolong, brewed a little too strong with the opened leaves filling the shibo entirely. This was not 'wow!' anymore.

After 3 infusions, I broke out my little glass teapot, moved the leaves, and dropped the water temp to 185--the sweet spot where I started the first time--and the results improved dramatically. Not sure how much was larger volume teapot, cooler water temp, and how much the nonreactive surface, but the magic was back, and I enjoyed a total of perhaps 8 infusions before stopping.

Today, I brewed up a thermos full of the Dong Ding reserve, and as expected, the harsher roasted notes were muted with some resting time and it is keeping beautifully for delayed drinking.
Last edited by debunix on Aug 2nd, '12, 00:39, edited 1 time in total.
debunix

Postby spinmail » Aug 2nd, '12, 00:11

My last Mountain Tea review:

MEDIUM ROAST TIEGUANYIN
DRY LEAF: 1/4" rolled tea leaves, medium green, with occasional stems visible
INFUSED LIQUOR AROMA: Aroma of warm bread, vegetal touch
INFUSED LIQUOR FLAVOR: The flavor isn't as intense as Lishan Spring, but has a similar flavor profile. Not as sweet, not quite as much flavor, but it's still well-balanced and appealing.
REMARKS: Clear medium yellow color. A combination of single leaves, multiple leaf tips, and pieces. TGY with an assertive smoke can be a turn-off, but this tea is accessible and smooth - if a bit light.
RATING: 80/100, 4/5

Check out spreadsheet of Mountain Teas from dubunix. Well worth printing out.
spinmail

Postby debunix » Aug 2nd, '12, 00:41

spinmail wrote:Check out spreadsheet of Mountain Teas from dubunix. Well worth printing out.

Glad you found it informative.

I'm getting ready for a few more infusions from today's Dong Ding--I suspect it has enough to get me through a bit more paperwork this evening.
debunix

Postby Poohblah » Aug 2nd, '12, 00:53

spinmail wrote:The flavor isn't as intense as Lishan Spring
I think that every review offers some good insight into these teas, with the possible exception of this line. I found this tea to be flavorful indeed. Perhaps you underbrewed it? Or perhaps it is I who is having trouble? I often get the sense that there is something to gaoshan oolong that I am simply not understanding, since so many people enjoy it except me.
Poohblah

Postby spinmail » Aug 2nd, '12, 02:14

Poohblah wrote:
spinmail wrote:The flavor isn't as intense as Lishan Spring
I think that every review offers some good insight into these teas, with the possible exception of this line. I found this tea to be flavorful indeed. Perhaps you underbrewed it? Or perhaps it is I who is having trouble? I often get the sense that there is something to gaoshan oolong that I am simply not understanding, since so many people enjoy it except me.

It's really hard to compare different teas with varying steeping methods and temperatures. A lot of the time, it comes down to personal taste, and it's hard to argue with that. (i.e., Some tea drinkers love young sheng; others despise it. Who's right?) But I am going to brew my favorite teas in this batch again (Lishan, TGY, Dong Ding) and the one I thought might fare better (Bai Hao).
spinmail

Postby sriracha » Aug 2nd, '12, 08:38

Hooray, package arrived!
sriracha

Location: Lat: N 59º 37' 3.79" Long: E 17º 49' 35.49" or thereabouts

Postby hopeofdawn » Aug 2nd, '12, 13:44

Received my tea while I was away on vacation, so it was a nice surprise to come back to--thanks Chip! Other than a prelim tasting of the Lishan, I haven't yet sat down and done any careful tastings yet--but I can't wait for when I have the time to do so. :)
hopeofdawn

Postby MIKE_B » Aug 2nd, '12, 18:06

Medium Roast TGY.
Brewed this with lots of leaf and a heavy hand and it never bit back. A sweet and easy tgy that never got bitter on me. The roast was the prominent flavor, but it was well done. Toasted bread and Cheerios.
I wish this was a little more complex. Still, a pleasant cup.
I've only had Chinese TGYs, this was my first from Taiwan...I think.

edit...
...and I still haven't had TGY from Taiwan, this was actually the Dong Ding. Doh. I really wish I had commented, "this tasted more like a medium roast Dong Ding to me..."
Last edited by MIKE_B on Aug 4th, '12, 14:27, edited 1 time in total.
MIKE_B

Postby dshu » Aug 2nd, '12, 19:20

Finished up the Li Shan and Jade. I really enjoyed these both!

Jade / 4.5
Initial infusions were light with mild floral notes. Middle infusions gave a floral taste that quickly smoothed out to cream and sweet vegetables. Later infusions had less floral qualities but remained sweet and creamy. This tea ended as a sweet honey water.
The leaf was deep green with a grassy aroma. Wet leaves were big and whole. Slightly larger and more whole than the Li Shan.

Li Shan / 4.0
This tea was a lot more floral than the Jade and with a cleaner finish. I didn't get as much cream or sweetness out of it. The floral flavor was very nice and stuck around. Final infusions were also a sweet honey water. I think this tea was a bit more finicky than the Jade, and I probably missed out on some more complex aspects due to my newbie skills.

Up next... TGY and Dong Ding
dshu

Postby Poohblah » Aug 3rd, '12, 22:22

Jade oolong. Vegetal. Carrots, little bit of broccoli, and leafy greens. A little buttery and eggy, but less so than the Li Shan. Umami finish. Like the Li Shan, there was a light roast apparent in the dry leaf aroma. I feel like this tea lacks depth, but it was enjoyable all the same. I think green oolongs might be growing on me.
Poohblah

Postby debunix » Aug 3rd, '12, 22:51

Poohblah wrote:I think green oolongs might be growing on me.

They do that....
debunix

Postby MIKE_B » Aug 4th, '12, 14:58

Just edited my medium roast TGY review.
I went to pull out the Dong Ding sample and it was gone. And there was the TGY sample, unopened.
Oops.
Funny, I got notes of Cheerios. I also found this in Teafromtaiwan's DD and also in later longer brews of MTR's Buddha Hand.
So, I still have yet to try a Taiwanese TGY. Going to change that in a few minutes.
MIKE_B

Postby Drax » Aug 4th, '12, 17:55

MIKE_B wrote:Funny, I got notes of Cheerios..

Ha, yes! I often get that feeling with certain types of Chinese green teas..... :D
Drax

PreviousNext

Instant Messenger

Permissions