Your favorite 2012 Sheng so far


One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Re: Your favorite 2012 Sheng so far

Postby TwoDog2 » Jul 30th, '12, 21:29

shah82 wrote:The only times you really should get a sour plum feel is from certain kinds of older teas, especially from Yiwu.

New puerh? Sour? Well, wild wild tea can be sour, ...

debunix wrote:Only one 2012 sheng to date: 2012 Yunnan Sourcing "Yi Wu Purple Tea". It was quite lovely, so nice I had to share--couldn't keep it all to myself. Yes, a definite delicately floral quality was there.



Oddly enough, I got a sample of this 2012 Yi Wu Purple Tea, and I was really disappointed, because it was sour and lacked any depth. (This is just my opinion - obviously other people like it quite a lot!) Just thought I would chime in, since two people posted semi-related comments. I should also qualify this by saying that I usually think Yunnan sourcing makes pretty decent teas, but the 2012 Yi Wu Purple was not for me. I have written a review of it, but haven't posted it. I'll throw it up here when I am done
User avatar
TwoDog2
Vendor Member
 
Posts: 484
Joined: Mar 19th, '
Location: Frequently Moving Around

Re: Your favorite 2012 Sheng so far

Postby shah82 » Jul 31st, '12, 00:03

purple tea from modern plants should be more bitter, not more sour. Can be a bad process that causes some sourness as well in new tea.
shah82
 
Posts: 1167
Joined: May 9th, '0

Re: Your favorite 2012 Sheng so far

Postby Catfur » Jul 31st, '12, 00:40

shah82 wrote:Catfur, what 2012 teas have you tried?


Tea Urchin samples, YS samples, some other stuff.

It tastes just like 2011 sheng did in 2011, and 2010 sheng did in 2010...

I can usually make a guess as to what prefecture it came from, and sometimes tell the differences between some of the Xishuangbanna areas, but that's about it until it ages.
User avatar
Catfur
 
Posts: 129
Joined: Jun 19th, '
Location: Carlsbad, NM

Re: Your favorite 2012 Sheng so far

Postby Drax » Jul 31st, '12, 08:11

TwoDog2 wrote:Oddly enough, I got a sample of this 2012 Yi Wu Purple Tea, and I was really disappointed, because it was sour and lacked any depth. (This is just my opinion - obviously other people like it quite a lot!) Just thought I would chime in, since two people posted semi-related comments. I should also qualify this by saying that I usually think Yunnan sourcing makes pretty decent teas, but the 2012 Yi Wu Purple was not for me. I have written a review of it, but haven't posted it. I'll throw it up here when I am done


Juuuuuust to be careful, YS did have 2 types of purple teas this year. The one that debunix was speaking about was the more expensive one. The other, cheaper one was marked from Dehong (I think). I tried that one the other day, and it had a very savory base that reminds me of chinese cooking.

As for 2012s, I don't think I've had any absolute standouts -- though some very good ones, to be sure.
User avatar
Drax
 
Posts: 2586
Joined: Oct 16th, '
Location: Arlington, VA

Re: Your favorite 2012 Sheng so far

Postby JakubT » Jul 31st, '12, 10:32

TwoDog2 wrote:
shah82 wrote:The only times you really should get a sour plum feel is from certain kinds of older teas, especially from Yiwu.

New puerh? Sour? Well, wild wild tea can be sour, ...

debunix wrote:Only one 2012 sheng to date: 2012 Yunnan Sourcing "Yi Wu Purple Tea". It was quite lovely, so nice I had to share--couldn't keep it all to myself. Yes, a definite delicately floral quality was there.



Oddly enough, I got a sample of this 2012 Yi Wu Purple Tea, and I was really disappointed, because it was sour and lacked any depth. (This is just my opinion - obviously other people like it quite a lot!) Just thought I would chime in, since two people posted semi-related comments. I should also qualify this by saying that I usually think Yunnan sourcing makes pretty decent teas, but the 2012 Yi Wu Purple was not for me. I have written a review of it, but haven't posted it. I'll throw it up here when I am done


It may be an issue with water - the YS's purple tea is generally extremely sensitive to it. The Purple tea may be really very good with soft, thick water (as from tea stove), but with electric kettle-boiled harder water, it is just as you say, flat and the sourness stands out.
JakubT
 
Posts: 165
Joined: Jan 4th, '1
Location: Prague

Re: Your favorite 2012 Sheng so far

Postby debunix » Jul 31st, '12, 11:01

Just to be clear, the YS 2012 puerh I am referring to was the 2012 Yunnan Sourcing "Yi Wu Purple Tea" Raw Pu-erh tea cake, a free sample of which was included in my order, and it was brewed up with 205 degree Las Vegas tap water (I don't know if there is a water softener for the building or not, but judging by the scale developing on the kettle, I think it is the usual hard water), unfiltered, in a porcelain pot.

And that tea is $23/cake, whereas the 2012 Yunnan Sourcing "Ye Sheng Cha" Wild Tree Purple Tea of Dehong is $25/cake, not really a lot of price difference there. Haven't tried the Dehong yet.
User avatar
debunix
 
Posts: 5179
Joined: Jan 10th, '
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Your favorite 2012 Sheng so far

Postby the_economist » Jul 31st, '12, 14:17

This year is my first year sampling young sheng, mainly from TeaUrchin. All the spring shengs I had were nice, my top 2 were the Gao Shan Zhai and the Jingmai. All pretty high quality stuff relative to most things I see offered.
User avatar
the_economist
 
Posts: 668
Joined: Sep 4th, '1

Re: Your favorite 2012 Sheng so far

Postby Drax » Jul 31st, '12, 18:52

debunix wrote:Just to be clear, the YS 2012 puerh I am referring to was the 2012 Yunnan Sourcing "Yi Wu Purple Tea" Raw Pu-erh tea cake, a free sample of which was included in my order, and it was brewed up with 205 degree Las Vegas tap water (I don't know if there is a water softener for the building or not, but judging by the scale developing on the kettle, I think it is the usual hard water), unfiltered, in a porcelain pot.

And that tea is $23/cake, whereas the 2012 Yunnan Sourcing "Ye Sheng Cha" Wild Tree Purple Tea of Dehong is $25/cake, not really a lot of price difference there. Haven't tried the Dehong yet.


Yes, however the $23/cake is for 250g, and the $25/cake (Dehong) is 400g, so there actually is a good price difference. Okay, it's not like either are EoT-expensive, but still.... :wink:

I'd be curious with a side-by-side comparison on the two, but it sounds like they may have quite different flavor profiles.
User avatar
Drax
 
Posts: 2586
Joined: Oct 16th, '
Location: Arlington, VA

Re: Your favorite 2012 Sheng so far

Postby debunix » Jul 31st, '12, 20:16

I can do a side-by-side, have some of both at home. Will not get to it for a day or three but will report back.
User avatar
debunix
 
Posts: 5179
Joined: Jan 10th, '
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Your favorite 2012 Sheng so far

Postby TwoDog2 » Jul 31st, '12, 21:46

Drax wrote:Juuuuuust to be careful, YS did have 2 types of purple teas this year. The one that debunix was speaking about was the more expensive one. The other, cheaper one was marked from Dehong (I think). I tried that one the other day, and it had a very savory base that reminds me of chinese cooking.



Oops, good point, to clarify, I meant the 2012 Yunnan Sourcing "Yi Wu Purple Tea" Raw Pu-erh tea cake * 250 grams

JakubT wrote:
It may be an issue with water - the YS's purple tea is generally extremely sensitive to it. The Purple tea may be really very good with soft, thick water (as from tea stove), but with electric kettle-boiled harder water, it is just as you say, flat and the sourness stands out.


Interesting point Jakub, I was using filtered water at the time, boiled on the stove. I am actually not certain where the sourness came from? Processing? My method? The water? I did two sessions on two different days, with the same result
User avatar
TwoDog2
Vendor Member
 
Posts: 484
Joined: Mar 19th, '
Location: Frequently Moving Around

Re: Your favorite 2012 Sheng so far

Postby JakubT » Aug 1st, '12, 01:58

TwoDog2 wrote:
Drax wrote:
JakubT wrote:
It may be an issue with water - the YS's purple tea is generally extremely sensitive to it. The Purple tea may be really very good with soft, thick water (as from tea stove), but with electric kettle-boiled harder water, it is just as you say, flat and the sourness stands out.


Interesting point Jakub, I was using filtered water at the time, boiled on the stove. I am actually not certain where the sourness came from? Processing? My method? The water? I did two sessions on two different days, with the same result


I see, I believe that all should be well with the tea.

When I get the sample (I have tried 2010 and 2011 versions so far and liked both of them), which should be soon, I'll experiment with it. I think there was an element of sourness in both 2010 and 2011 versions, but I thought it rather pleasant and well complementing the fruitiness. And, the aspect gets weaker with age - now, after two years of storage here, the 2010 edition is heading towards very nice honey with nuts and a bit of fruit, no sourness left,
JakubT
 
Posts: 165
Joined: Jan 4th, '1
Location: Prague

Re: Your favorite 2012 Sheng so far

Postby iovetea » Aug 1st, '12, 02:34

Mr JakubT how is it, that in one post you can describe the flavor of a puerh in much more depths than yunnan sourcing on their own site. Don't get me wrong, it must be a good site, all reporting good stuff about it, but its weird they always use those esoteric description about taste.
iovetea
 
Posts: 172
Joined: Jul 9th, '1

Re: Your favorite 2012 Sheng so far

Postby TwoDog2 » Aug 1st, '12, 02:52

JakubT wrote:When I get the sample (I have tried 2010 and 2011 versions so far and liked both of them), which should be soon, I'll experiment with it. I think there was an element of sourness in both 2010 and 2011 versions, but I thought it rather pleasant and well complementing the fruitiness. And, the aspect gets weaker with age - now, after two years of storage here, the 2010 edition is heading towards very nice honey with nuts and a bit of fruit, no sourness left,


I look forward to reading what you think. The sample I had really lacked any fruityness. I would like to know if maybe it was just too young, or if it is different than the last couple of years in a significant way? Perhaps it will calm down a bit in time.
User avatar
TwoDog2
Vendor Member
 
Posts: 484
Joined: Mar 19th, '
Location: Frequently Moving Around

Re: Your favorite 2012 Sheng so far

Postby JakubT » Aug 2nd, '12, 01:14

iovetea: Pray, could you maybe say it once more, a bit differently? I am afraid I do not really understand what you ment here :(

TwoDog: I'd love to try it too - because you sound to do everything really well (the water, I mean), this tea was (in 2010 and 11) very drinkable right from the start, so I don't see where the problem could be - in the 2012 vinatage, possibly.
JakubT
 
Posts: 165
Joined: Jan 4th, '1
Location: Prague

Re: Your favorite 2012 Sheng so far

Postby debunix » Aug 3rd, '12, 01:24

Prompted by the discussion in this TeaChat topic….

Head to head, 2 grams tea in small porcelain gaiwans

1--2012 Yunnan Sourcing "Yi Wu Purple Tea"

2--2012 Yunnan Sourcing "Ye Sheng Cha" Wild Tree Purple Tea of Dehong

Dry leaf
1--scent of herbs and anise
2--sweat socks, worn daily for PE and not laundered for a year

Quick rinse with 205 degree water, letting sit 5 minutes to hydrate leaves

Flash infusion: pour water in, lid on, pour out
1--sweet, anise, delicate--no hint of sour, no how, no where
2--smoky, but also spicy/herbaceous--there might be a hint of sour there somewhere in the aftertaste--somehow related to the smoky gym sock element, but the overwhelming sense is the smoky and spicy

2nd flash infusions: pour water in, lid on, pour out, less than 10 seconds altogether

1--delicate, anise, sweet, light, could do a little longer infusion
2--still smoky, but now pleasantly smoky, campfire smoky, not gym socks, and still the lovely spicy, with just hints of that maybe sour element

Image

3rd, 4th flash infusion--no significant change

First impression: the YiWu purple is immediately friendlier, milder, while the Dehong is aggressively smoky-young and needs some air time to release that excessive smokiness--just not immediately as approachable as the YiWu. I do like the spicy background flavor A LOT and think this is going to be just lovely after this smoky phase calms. The Dehong may well be the more interesting tea in a few years.

5th infusion now 20-30 seconds
stronger and more pleasing spicy/anise flavor in the YiWu, as expected, YUM!, no sourness of note here; the Dehong is getting sweeter and spicier as the smoky fades a bit. There's a hint of sourness still, perhaps, but less than in the earlier infusions, again leading me to think that was more a feature of the heavy smokiness rather than intrinsic to the tea itself.

And somehow I'm again out of tea and must infuse again…but the kettle is nearly empty and it's late, so I'll post this preliminary report now.
User avatar
debunix
 
Posts: 5179
Joined: Jan 10th, '
Location: Los Angeles, CA

PreviousNext

Instant Messenger

Permissions
You cannot post new topics
You cannot reply to topics
You cannot edit your posts
You cannot delete your posts
You cannot post attachments
Navigation