Humidity & hygrometers

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Humidity & hygrometers

Postby debunix » Aug 2nd, '12, 02:44

I will soon be moving to my new house, and am curious as to whether I will naturally have some areas that will be good for puerh storage. I'm browsing hygrometers on Amazon, and see lots of very cheap versions, priced under $10--similar to the variety and selection of the little digital pocket scales I use for my tea. Are there any particular things to look out for in buying one of these?

I'm quite curious about this, because I'm in Los Angeles, not particularly close to the beach, but close enough to get some cooling and damp breezes, and I'll also be starting up some aquariums again, which will add to the humidity in some parts of the house.
debunix

Re: Humidity & hygrometers

Postby TwoDog2 » Aug 2nd, '12, 03:15

Congrats on moving to a new place!

I am currently using an old hygrometer (non-digital), just a few dials to measure the air. I have no experience with digital hygrometers.

I think the aquarium might be an interesting touch. You might try monitoring the air with and without the aquarium. In the past, I have had some luck humidifying the air by making an enclosed place, like a walk-in closet, and then placing a water pot in the middle of the closet. It increased the humidity quite a bit, and just needs to be tended to every few days.
TwoDog2
Vendor Member

Postby gasninja » Aug 6th, '12, 12:00

I use distiller water and an aquarium heater to humidify my tea storage. It kePt the ru around 75 and warmed the space quite a bit.
gasninja

Postby debunix » Aug 7th, '12, 01:53

How are you monitoring humidity? What kind of hygrometer?
debunix

Instant Messenger

Permissions