Aging oolong questions

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Aug 15th, '12, 16:08

Aging oolong questions

by Randee1515 » Aug 15th, '12, 16:08

I've decided to try aging some charcoal roasted dong ding from Norbu tea and I have a few questions.
1: what kind of vessel should I age it in? would a regular tea tin be okay, or do I want something porous like a yixing jar?
2: What should I use to "re-roast" it? I don't have a rice cooker, so can I?

Any additional tips and information are much appreciated as well. Thanks!

Aug 15th, '12, 16:13

Re: Aging oolong questions

by teaisme » Aug 15th, '12, 16:13

never aged anything in my life :mrgreen:

but I hear you don't want something porous unless you are short term 'airing out'.

seems like packing as tight as possible, in a airtight container, sealing and forgetting about it is the ideal way to go. Maybe some paper to defend against transferring metal taste into the tea if you are storing in a metal tin of some sort.

Reroasting not such good idea unless the roast was very little to start with.

This is all just regurgitated from readings, opinions and teachat. Good luck :mrgreen:

Aug 15th, '12, 16:52
Vendor Member

by SilentChaos » Aug 15th, '12, 16:52

I'm just a noob with aged oolong, but I think you suppose to protect the tea from sunlight; and relatively airtight container but not dead and/or vacuum sealed since the tea won't age that way. I'm drinking a re-roasted laocha at the moment, and from what I gather re-roasting to drive out moisture is one heck of a skill.

Aug 15th, '12, 21:05

by MIKE_B » Aug 15th, '12, 21:05

I plan on hanging onto some of the yancha I have bought recently, and will continue to buy more for aging. My plan is to keep procuring high quality, heavily roasted tea. I am just going to keep it in whatever sealed package it arrives in. No re-roasting. Keeping it simple.
Right now it is all packed away in a drawer. I am on the lookout for a nice wooden chest to keep it all in as my collection grows.

+ Post Reply