Greetings from Illinois!

Please introduce yourself here to our membership

Aug 14th, '12, 00:14

Greetings from Illinois!

by Shadowfall » Aug 14th, '12, 00:14

So I've been lurking through the different forums here for a few weeks now and decided, what the heck, I'll register and start poking about a bit more vocally. XD

As much as I adore tea and all the different varieties that are out there, I have a rather sinking feeling that I have no palate for it. I'm hoping it's just that I'm brewing my tea incorrectly or possibly the tea I have is stale/old/something. Lol. Hopefully all you fine people here will be able to set me on the right path.

Of my tea experience, it's not all that much truth be told. Iced tea and tea bags were my first experiences I can recall of tea. I didn't start poking about with loose tea until my Mom got a Zarafina tea maker for Xmas a few years ago. Since moving away from home, I've had to resort to sticking loose tea in a tea ball and pouring hot water over it. Lol.

My taste, such as it is, run mostly towards Black teas since that's what my Mom mainly had in the cabinet, with a smattering of Oolong now and then from my local Chinese restaurant.
Not so fond of Green teas which is a shame since I hear all the health benefits associated with them. But I honestly can't seem to stand the taste.
No experience with Red teas that I can recall and White tea came off as being weak to me.
All in all, my experience is laughable at the moment. :oops:

Right now, I'm a little overwhelmed poking through the topics here with all the terms I'm constantly needing to look up and in general everything that's out there. But I'm hoping to become better versed in the future, so please excuse me if I tend to ask stupid questions now and then. Lol.
I also have a tendency to be long winded. XD

Aug 14th, '12, 00:22

Re: Greetings from Illinois!

by AdamMY » Aug 14th, '12, 00:22

Greetings! What part of Illinois? I spent the middle section of my life ( about 10-18 years of age) in the West Suburbs of Chicago. I mean far west, any further and its corn fields. Even though I am rarely in Illinois any more, I really wish somehow it could get even half the high quality tea places that New York has.

Welcome to tea chat, there are lots of threads to help us get to know you. For basically any tea you are drinking you can post in a corresponding thread. Plus Chip seems to do Teaday posts once a week or so, which are great places to share your thoughts on the poll of the day/ week.

Aug 15th, '12, 18:48
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Aug 15th, '12, 18:48

Be sure to enjoy your TeaJourney one step at a time versus trying to know all instantly.

Welcome to TeaChat ... hope to see you around the forum!

Aug 15th, '12, 23:43

Greetings from Illinois!

by debunix » Aug 15th, '12, 23:43

Shadowfall wrote:.
Not so fond of Green teas which is a shame
It is a shame. If you're new to anything but black teas, and have been brewing the greens similarly, nearly all of them will be unpleasant. They need cooler water and often benefit from several shorter infusions to bring out their sweetness and avoid bitterness.

It took me a long time to figure them out.

And this is a good place to help you figure out a variety of teas. Welcome!

Aug 16th, '12, 01:15

by Shadowfall » Aug 16th, '12, 01:15

debunix wrote:
Shadowfall wrote:.
Not so fond of Green teas which is a shame
It is a shame. If you're new to anything but black teas, and have been brewing the greens similarly, nearly all of them will be unpleasant. They need cooler water and often benefit from several shorter infusions to bring out their sweetness and avoid bitterness.

It took me a long time to figure them out.

And this is a good place to help you figure out a variety of teas. Welcome!
I've actually never brewed loose green tea. :oops:
After trying it a few times, both hot and iced, I was too put off by the taste to consider spending money on something I couldn't stand to drink. I'm not sure how they were brewed, so that might have had something to do with it. Lol.
One of these days I'll edge back over to the pool of Green teas and give it another shot. But for now, I'll stick with Black....Though I haven't been too happy with how those are turning out lately either. XD

Aug 16th, '12, 01:41

by debunix » Aug 16th, '12, 01:41

Then clearly its time for some oolongs. You can find them in many styles from nearly as deeply oxidized as black teas to as light and delicate as a very good green tea. They're the best of all!

Aug 16th, '12, 05:19
Location: Lat: N 59º 37' 3.79" Long: E 17º 49' 35.49" or thereabouts

by sriracha » Aug 16th, '12, 05:19

Shadowfall wrote:
I've actually never brewed loose green tea. :oops:
Nothing to be sad or embarrassed about, there's a whole world out there waiting for you! Hope you eventually find something you like. =)

Aug 20th, '12, 20:44

by Shadowfall » Aug 20th, '12, 20:44

debunix wrote:Then clearly its time for some oolongs. You can find them in many styles from nearly as deeply oxidized as black teas to as light and delicate as a very good green tea. They're the best of all!
Huh. I didn't realize that Oolong was considered a green tea because the two don't really taste vaguely similar to me. I drink Oolong now and then, though it's usually when I'm at the Chinese restaurant and that's what they serve at the table.
But now I'm getting off subject of greetings. XD I'm definitely going to have to investigate the green and Oolong tea forums a bit more now. Lol.
sriracha wrote: Nothing to be sad or embarrassed about, there's a whole world out there waiting for you! Hope you eventually find something you like. =)
Indeed. Which is why I'm here. :D

+ Post Reply