Aug 15th, '12, 07:56

Re: new products of shouzhen workshop/Cheng(2010-1-20))

by finddream2020 » Aug 15th, '12, 07:56

debunix wrote:Lovely pots.
Thank you very much. :)

Aug 15th, '12, 07:58

by finddream2020 » Aug 15th, '12, 07:58

hopeofdawn wrote:Oh wow--I normally am not a huge fan of the gourd-styled pots, but that one is very lovely. I really like the fine attention to detail in the leaves and the handle!
Thank you very much. I will post more fancy teapots. :)

Aug 15th, '12, 08:15

by finddream2020 » Aug 15th, '12, 08:15

This qing xiang teapot is made from zi ni (purple clay). It also has a large size of 400 ml or so. The opening of the teapot is big, one of our customers told us it tasted so nice with pu erh in this pot. I haven't tried yet since this pot is also ordered as soon as it is made. My father doesn't make many fancy teapots, it needs much more patience and skill. It is not only difficult to make, it is easy to be broken during the firing.

Aug 15th, '12, 08:17

by hhxu » Aug 15th, '12, 08:17

Hi tea comrades,

It was I who visited Cheng Chen this April during the QingMing Festival and I can attest that she and her family are honourable people and showed me tremendous hospitality during my time there. The photos posted were all taken by me and I was privileged to buy several teapots and Yixing tea from source.

We had the opportunity to watch both Chen's father (Cheng Jianming) and mother (Wan Xiaofang) work on pots and it was both fascinating and educational, and certainly gives an inimitable context for whenever I use their handiwork to brew up a good drink. We saw very special pots that are not shown online and also their store of vintage clay that they use to construct their products. There was also a smaller useable version of the enormous "square" pot sculpture that marks the entrance to the Cheng family atelier. Another interesting showpiece was a large-ish pot with solid gold carvings on its body.

We bought 3 pots and some tea accessories at their shop and in total I now have 5 of their pots. There is no question as to their quality in my mind and any discrepancies in spouts and handles lining up exactly are simply a result of the handmade process. They only make fully handmade and half-handmade pots in their atelier. Their pots are very clearly superior to the Yixing pots that I'm able to purchase locally in Asia at even reputable shops, as, if nothing else, they come straight from their maker. The pots have a distinctively enrapturous aroma when wet with hot water, which indicates how fresh they are.

I can also attest that the prices offered online on their international website are lower than the prices in their physical shop. As anyone who is familiar with the Chinese market will confirm, the most enthusiastic buyer for Chinese products is the domestic market itself and this has led to prices rising for all Chinese products across the board, not just in tea and teapots. Chen is sincerely trying to spread the joy of using a finely-crafted zisha teapot globally, as well as making available an artisan product as niche as zisha teapots to anyone anywhere at a reasonable price, along with the ability to communicate with the maker him- or herself and cut out the middleman.

Apart from that, the Zisha village in Yixing is one of the loveliest places that I've been to in China and I am already making plans to return in the winter. The farmer cuisine and wild game we enjoyed there is simply unmatchable by all the gastronomy that Shanghai had to offer. It has reinforced in my mind the genuineness and warmth of the Chinese people, and my great love for the nation. I wholeheartedly encourage all here to support the Cheng family as they are true artisans and their products are deservingly called works of art.

Ben

Aug 15th, '12, 08:27

by finddream2020 » Aug 15th, '12, 08:27

The petal is made from a mold, and other accessories like bamboo leaves and stems are made by hand. Also, the holes of the handle are made by hand. It seems natural, doesn't it? :) All the ready-made accessories are sticked on to the teapot after the pot is shaped, so cracks often happen on the junction.
Last edited by finddream2020 on Aug 15th, '12, 08:36, edited 1 time in total.

Aug 15th, '12, 08:35

by finddream2020 » Aug 15th, '12, 08:35

hhxu wrote:Hi tea comrades,

It was I who visited Cheng Chen this April during the QingMing Festival and I can attest that she and her family are honourable people and showed me tremendous hospitality during my time there. The photos posted were all taken by me and I was privileged to buy several teapots and Yixing tea from source.

We had the opportunity to watch both Chen's father (Cheng Jianming) and mother (Wan Xiaofang) work on pots and it was both fascinating and educational, and certainly gives an inimitable context for whenever I use their handiwork to brew up a good drink. We saw very special pots that are not shown online and also their store of vintage clay that they use to construct their products. There was also a smaller useable version of the enormous "square" pot sculpture that marks the entrance to the Cheng family atelier. Another interesting showpiece was a large-ish pot with solid gold carvings on its body.

We bought 3 pots and some tea accessories at their shop and in total I now have 5 of their pots. There is no question as to their quality in my mind and any discrepancies in spouts and handles lining up exactly are simply a result of the handmade process. They only make fully handmade and half-handmade pots in their atelier. Their pots are very clearly superior to the Yixing pots that I'm able to purchase locally in Asia at even reputable shops, as, if nothing else, they come straight from their maker. The pots have a distinctively enrapturous aroma when wet with hot water, which indicates how fresh they are.

I can also attest that the prices offered online on their international website are lower than the prices in their physical shop. As anyone who is familiar with the Chinese market will confirm, the most enthusiastic buyer for Chinese products is the domestic market itself and this has led to prices rising for all Chinese products across the board, not just in tea and teapots. Chen is sincerely trying to spread the joy of using a finely-crafted zisha teapot globally, as well as making available an artisan product as niche as zisha teapots to anyone anywhere at a reasonable price, along with the ability to communicate with the maker him- or herself and cut out the middleman.

Apart from that, the Zisha village in Yixing is one of the loveliest places that I've been to in China and I am already making plans to return in the winter. The farmer cuisine and wild game we enjoyed there is simply unmatchable by all the gastronomy that Shanghai had to offer. It has reinforced in my mind the genuineness and warmth of the Chinese people, and my great love for the nation. I wholeheartedly encourage all here to support the Cheng family as they are true artisans and their products are deservingly called works of art.

Ben
Hi Ben,

Thank you very much for your post!

You are always welcome to Yi Xing! Welcome to our home! My family asked me to send their regards to you and your girlfriend, and also my best regards to her. :D

Aug 15th, '12, 12:44
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Aug 15th, '12, 12:44

finddream2020 and Maxwell2079,

With all due respect ... as I have stated previously, both of you have stated your differing points of view on the forum.

For this reason, I am moving the new dialog to a non public admin area of TC for review.

This is solely my decision, and nobody asked me to do so!!!

I received a request for mediation which I am reviewing as well ... this is new territory and I do not want to make a quick decision that I may regret later.

Until any decision is made, any further discussion on TC related to this matter will also be moved.

Have a great TeaDay,
Chip
Immoderate TeaDrinker who happens to Moderate

Aug 15th, '12, 12:49

by Chip » Aug 15th, '12, 12:49

FYI, Ben's post originated from Singapore ...

Aug 15th, '12, 13:08

by Chip » Aug 15th, '12, 13:08

I have wanted to express the reasons for permitting a Chinese artisan/potter family to join the TeawareArtisans of TeaChat which is more geared towards Western artisans/potters.

I would like to have the TA to be multicutural which I feel benefits everyone including our members, non member readers, and artisans as well. Thus there is also a Korean TA though language has proven to be a big obstacle for Seong-Il.

I would continue with this practice to other Eastern and of course Western countries as well.

Thus we have a potter fam from Yixing in this TA forum. I think the inclusion adds a whole new dimension to TA. And I hope problems can be resolved.

Aug 17th, '12, 11:14

by finddream2020 » Aug 17th, '12, 11:14

Thank you very much, Chip. I promise to take more time communicating here. But I need more time, I have so much to do. I'm learning teapots especially square teapots from a famous teacher this year. And also, I have to go to class to learn more about art. In addition, I have many many personal affairs this year.

Anyone who has any quesions about teas and teapots, please tell me. I will try my best. Also, I will post some information about clays, teas and teapots, more than just selling teapot. I'm not the person just out for profit. :)

Aug 22nd, '12, 09:45

by finddream2020 » Aug 22nd, '12, 09:45

I will post another two fancy teapots about dragon. Both of them has been out of stock now and they have a large capacity. But they are both cute and exquisite. :D

Aug 22nd, '12, 09:50

by finddream2020 » Aug 22nd, '12, 09:50

This style has two volume, one is about 500 ml, and the other is 1000 or so. The bigger one is mostly used for collecting. The body of the pot is shaped by 64 bamboos. I remember a man bought the bigger one for his father who is 64 years old as his birthday gift. It is a very good gift. :D

Aug 22nd, '12, 09:52

by finddream2020 » Aug 22nd, '12, 09:52

The spout and handle of this teapot are the "dragon", while the lid and the bottom are about bagua.
Last edited by finddream2020 on Aug 22nd, '12, 10:01, edited 2 times in total.

Aug 22nd, '12, 09:58

by finddream2020 » Aug 22nd, '12, 09:58

This teapot has a very auspicious name, 龙凤呈祥壶。Maybe I can translate it as "dragon and phoenix are a good sign". The spout is a phoenix while the handle is a dragon. I took this picture a long time ago, the color of the teapot is not that purple. In fact, it is the color in the following picture.

Aug 22nd, '12, 10:00

by finddream2020 » Aug 22nd, '12, 10:00

This is a special teapot, whose spout and handle are not on the same level.

+ Post Reply