Jul 23rd, '12, 14:46

Saladin: A large shino chawan

by Saladin » Jul 23rd, '12, 14:46

I love shino. In fact it's probably may favorite traditional ware from Japan, and it is really quite unlike American shino. I know this for fact as I spent much of my youth in a glaze lab trying to recreate it. Ryoji Kuroda had this to say about shino in his 1984 book titled Shino:*

"The white of Shino can be compared to the first snow of the season, or to the last traces of the winter snow, which the warm spring winds are erasing as the bush warbler's first song rings out. Shino's white surface is soft like a mother's breast; it brings back memories of childhood."

"Shino white is tidiness itself. And on that white the potters painted designs with an iron glaze made of oni-ita, a red clay rich in iron and manganese and abundant in the Seto region. The effect of flame in the kiln added distinctive fire marks. Shino is an elusive ware, capable of infinite transformations."

"The Shino potters thickly applied their glaze, which they made by carefully grinding feldspar and refining it in water. To this they added their own secret proportion of ash. Then, after offering sake and prayers to the gods of the kiln, and ritually scattering salt to purify the area, they entrusted their pieces to the fire."

"Shino ware is the spirit of tea, the essence of pottery. It is the result of the flames of the kiln"

The pinholes in Japanese shino happen because of the slow firing, whereas in Western glazes it's usually because of a high clay content. This bowl is a pretty good example of white shino with some lovely brushwork painted on the clay body under the glaze. It's quite large and perfect for somebody with man-hands. To me it looks like the potter was heavily influenced by the first living trasure for shino Toyozo Arakawa. The bowl has a beautiful undulating lip and a nice kodai. Includes signed box (not sure of the artist) and artists papers.
I love this pice but alas it must find a new home. Asking $75 shipped with insurance and free gift of my choice :)

* used without permission, so please don't sue me. It's a great book and I highly recommend you buy the new reprint which was printed along with the even more fantastic volume in the same series titled Oribe.
Attachments
shino3.jpg
shino3.jpg (29.8 KiB) Viewed 4439 times
shino2.jpg
shino2.jpg (29.41 KiB) Viewed 4439 times
shino1.jpg
shino1.jpg (28.52 KiB) Viewed 4439 times
Last edited by Saladin on Jul 23rd, '12, 15:51, edited 1 time in total.

Jul 23rd, '12, 14:50

Re: A large shino chawan

by Saladin » Jul 23rd, '12, 14:50

More pix. This bowl is vintage and well-used and has staining in the crazing and pinholes. The bowl is large but feels lightweight and well balanced.
Attachments
shino6.jpg
shino6.jpg (28.49 KiB) Viewed 4435 times
shino5.jpg
shino5.jpg (37.77 KiB) Viewed 4435 times
shino4.jpg
shino4.jpg (37.97 KiB) Viewed 4435 times
Last edited by Saladin on Jul 23rd, '12, 15:53, edited 1 time in total.

Jul 23rd, '12, 14:52

Re: A large shino chawan

by Saladin » Jul 23rd, '12, 14:52

one more..
Attachments
shino7.jpg
shino7.jpg (60.58 KiB) Viewed 4434 times

Jul 24th, '12, 13:48

Re: Saladin: A large shino chawan

by Saladin » Jul 24th, '12, 13:48

A few more tempting photos. Whisk shown for scale ( sorry I keep losing my ruler).
Attachments
shino_back.jpg
shino_back.jpg (25.02 KiB) Viewed 4359 times
shino_detail.jpg
shino_detail.jpg (25.1 KiB) Viewed 4359 times
shino_whisk.jpg
shino_whisk.jpg (21.12 KiB) Viewed 4359 times

Aug 15th, '12, 23:15

by rhythmaning » Aug 15th, '12, 23:15

Saladin wrote:I love shino. In fact it's probably may favorite traditional ware from Japan, and it is really quite unlike American shino. I know this for fact as I spent much of my youth in a glaze lab trying to recreate it. Ryoji Kuroda had this to say about shino in his 1984 book titled Shino:*

"The white of Shino can be compared to the first snow of the season, or to the last traces of the winter snow, which the warm spring winds are erasing as the bush warbler's first song rings out. Shino's white surface is soft like a mother's breast; it brings back memories of childhood."

"Shino white is tidiness itself. And on that white the potters painted designs with an iron glaze made of oni-ita, a red clay rich in iron and manganese and abundant in the Seto region. The effect of flame in the kiln added distinctive fire marks. Shino is an elusive ware, capable of infinite transformations."

"The Shino potters thickly applied their glaze, which they made by carefully grinding feldspar and refining it in water. To this they added their own secret proportion of ash. Then, after offering sake and prayers to the gods of the kiln, and ritually scattering salt to purify the area, they entrusted their pieces to the fire."

"Shino ware is the spirit of tea, the essence of pottery. It is the result of the flames of the kiln"

The pinholes in Japanese shino happen because of the slow firing, whereas in Western glazes it's usually because of a high clay content. This bowl is a pretty good example of white shino with some lovely brushwork painted on the clay body under the glaze. It's quite large and perfect for somebody with man-hands. To me it looks like the potter was heavily influenced by the first living trasure for shino Toyozo Arakawa. The bowl has a beautiful undulating lip and a nice kodai. Includes signed box (not sure of the artist) and artists papers.
I love this pice but alas it must find a new home. Asking $75 shipped with insurance and free gift of my choice :)

* used without permission, so please don't sue me. It's a great book and I highly recommend you buy the new reprint which was printed along with the even more fantastic volume in the same series titled Oribe.
Hello Saladin,
Is this bowl still available?
Thanks,
Gary

Aug 16th, '12, 22:44

by Saladin » Aug 16th, '12, 22:44

Hi Gary,

Yes it most certainly is. Please feel free to ask me any questions about it.

Best,

John

Aug 17th, '12, 18:03

by rhythmaning » Aug 17th, '12, 18:03

Saladin wrote:Hi Gary,

Yes it most certainly is. Please feel free to ask me any questions about it.

Best,

John
Thank you very much, John. Yours is one of a few Shino pieces I'm currently considering, so I'll get back to you soon.
Best,
Gary

Aug 18th, '12, 11:28

by TuoChaTea » Aug 18th, '12, 11:28

Would you ship to Europe? /shippig fees will be paid, of course/

Aug 19th, '12, 12:19

by Saladin » Aug 19th, '12, 12:19

I would happily ship to Europe, I pack very well and have shipped over seas many times. The shipping would be about $15- $25 extra depending on the speed etc.

Sep 7th, '12, 19:04

by Saladin » Sep 7th, '12, 19:04

$69.99? :mrgreen:

Aug 2nd, '13, 09:02

by donaldosborne » Aug 2nd, '13, 09:02

Looks good Saladin. This is made in Japan ? ;D

Aug 2nd, '13, 20:19

by Saladin » Aug 2nd, '13, 20:19

Hi there, yes it was made in Japan! :D