Anyone ordered from Sevencups??

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Aug 5th, '12, 08:30

Anyone ordered from Sevencups??

by iovetea » Aug 5th, '12, 08:30

im just wondering if someone had experience with them

Aug 5th, '12, 09:07

Re: anyone ordered from sevencups??

by JRS22 » Aug 5th, '12, 09:07

I've had nothing but good experiences with Seven Cups in general. I've always enjoyed the puerh that I've ordered because it's been easy for me to figure out which puerhs will suit my taste. I have a low tolerance for bitter flavor notes, so my preferences may be different than those of the average Teachatter. They don't sell samples, so this could be a problem with the more expensive cakes.

Aug 5th, '12, 09:12

by sherubtse » Aug 5th, '12, 09:12

I have never ordered from them, as the prices for the teas (and the shipping costs) are too high.

However, I do enjoy their instructional videos, some of which are quite good. And I also like Austin's occasional blogs, which are typically thought-provoking.

Best wishes,
sherubtse

Aug 5th, '12, 11:13

by Poohblah » Aug 5th, '12, 11:13

I used to visit one of their brick-and-mortar stores before it closed. I think you could do worse than Seven Cups. I thought the pricing was pretty competitive if you only purchased sale items.

Aug 5th, '12, 14:37
Scrolling: scrolling

by Drax » Aug 5th, '12, 14:37

Poohblah wrote:I thought the pricing was pretty competitive if you only purchased sale items.
+1

Seven Cups was one of the first vendors I tried when I started to explore the world of tea.

It's true that they have less sampling involved with their pu'erh selections. For the few that I've tried (such as loose leaf that you could order 2-4 oz), I recall it being generally good.

I've mostly stuck with other teas for Seven Cups, and as Poohblah mentioned, usually stuff on sale.

Aug 5th, '12, 19:15

Re: Anyone ordered from Sevencups??

by JRS22 » Aug 5th, '12, 19:15

There are sale items every month at 20% off, but in addition, if you sign up for the "tea club" you receive monthly emails and a 10% discount on non-sale items. I didn't think the shipping was high within the US, but Canada could be higher. I always appreciate that I've got a tracking number and know when the package will be delivered, unlike packages from Jing. Those may be shipped quickly, but then they travel on the proverbial slow boat.... Right now I'm tempted to order from Seven Cups while I await my Jing package!

Aug 6th, '12, 07:43

by sherubtse » Aug 6th, '12, 07:43

I have re-checked the prices, including sale items: still too high for my budget. The 2010 white and green teas on sale have reasonable prices. But I wouldn't buy 2 year-old versions of those teas.

And yes, shipping to Canada was quite high. (In fact, most U.S. companies over-charge for shipping to Canada.)

Best wishes,
sherubtse

Aug 20th, '12, 10:15

by MacGuffin » Aug 20th, '12, 10:15

Hello everyone, and especially Chip (long time!).

I've had nothing but good experiences from Seven Cups and in fact, I've only had one tea from them that I haven't liked (an old-style TGY that I bought the first time they offered it). If you're interested in puerhs, the Date Fragrance is really nice and I've also bought some loose greens although I'm saving for a "cooking set" (not shown online) for those. The Tea Club is a good deal and they're very nice folks who will happily discuss your your prospective purchase on the phone (be sure to mention that you're a TC member if you actually place your order on the phone). Nice people, serious fanatics who are always looking to learn something new, and they ship fast as well. Frankly, I'm crazy about them and their tea and always recommend them to newbies.

Best,
Karen

Aug 20th, '12, 10:49

by iovetea » Aug 20th, '12, 10:49

MacGuffin wrote:Hello everyone, and especially Chip (long time!).

I've had nothing but good experiences from Seven Cups and in fact, I've only had one tea from them that I haven't liked (an old-style TGY that I bought the first time they offered it). If you're interested in puerhs, the Date Fragrance is really nice and I've also bought some loose greens although I'm saving for a "cooking set" (not shown online) for those. The Tea Club is a good deal and they're very nice folks who will happily discuss your your prospective purchase on the phone (be sure to mention that you're a TC member if you actually place your order on the phone). Nice people, serious fanatics who are always looking to learn something new, and they ship fast as well. Frankly, I'm crazy about them and their tea and always recommend them to newbies.

Best,
Karen
great to hear, i like those serious fanatics.

Aug 20th, '12, 13:25

by JRS22 » Aug 20th, '12, 13:25

I've had great luck with the date fragrance puerhs that MacGuffin referred to. I find that Seven Cups descriptions of puerh fit my experience with those puerhs I've ordered from them.

But please, MacGuffin, tell us more about the "cooking set" that isn't shown on their website.

Aug 20th, '12, 13:29

by MacGuffin » Aug 20th, '12, 13:29

iovetea wrote:great to hear, i like those serious fanatics.
Oh, yes. Fanatics who are knowledgeable, enthusiastic, and pleasant can be irresistibly appealing. They also have some nice videocasts on their site as well; it's fun to see how much they've improved since the first one (it wasn't so hot). :wink:

Aug 20th, '12, 15:30

by MacGuffin » Aug 20th, '12, 15:30

JRS22 wrote:I've had great luck with the date fragrance puerhs that MacGuffin referred to. I find that Seven Cups descriptions of puerh fit my experience with those puerhs I've ordered from them.

But please, MacGuffin, tell us more about the "cooking set" that isn't shown on their website.
Well, to be honest, I don't know too much about them. I imagine they're something like the Chao Zhou sets Imen used to sell on her Tea Habitat site but I believe they're specifically for cooking puerh. You could give them a call and ask them about them--I think they're about $100 and come in two styles. I was told they're especially good for green puerhs; it seems they benefit from cooking as opposed to steeping.

Aug 21st, '12, 12:50

by tenuki » Aug 21st, '12, 12:50

I find that seven cups is reliably decent and reliably a good value. I wouldn't claim they have the best tea in every category, or that they specialize in anything - but if you are looking for a good tea for a good value you would be hard pressed to find a more reliable vendor.

I don't order from them often, but when I have I've been favorably impressed.

+ Post Reply