NOTTI Round 1, Tea 'n' Tea

"Official Tea Tasting Initiative" Teas shared & discussed.

NOTTI Round 1, Tea 'n' Tea

Postby Chip » Aug 21st, '12, 15:52

This Premier NOTTI Round I have dubbed "Tea 'n' Tea." Pun intended as these selections are DYNOMITE (and both selections begin with a "T")!

For brief explanation of what NOTTI is (versus OTTI, NOTTI is NOT an OTTI), see here: http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=17639

Sorry, no photos yet. The teas are sealed for freshness, but I will post photos after I open bags.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Re: NOTTI Round 1, Tea 'n' Tea

Postby Chip » Aug 21st, '12, 15:53

First up, 2 insanely good 2012 sencha that we sampled at the World Tea Expo in Vegas in June. Really premo stuff!!! This supplier does things the old fashioned way, she offers you a seat so she can brew teas for you to try that she has sourced all over Japan. It is very quaint and humble.

I can honestly tell you after checking this out for myself, you could pay 40, 50 or even 60 USD per 100 grams for these actual selections from various vendors. I kid you not.

:twisted: But not today my dear TeaChatters ... nope, today you can purchase these amazing sencha for only 28 USD (plus shipping) per 100 grams of one selection or 15 USD per 50 grams of one selection. But you must purchase the same amount of BOTH. Want more? Purchase 200 grams of each for only 26 USD per 100 grams. :twisted:

This PREMIER NOTTI Round "T 'n' T" is special in several regards. The 2 sencha selected are uber premium selections are guaranteed to please, Tenryu and Tenjo. This round also signals a SAFE return to offering Shizuoka sencha. YAY!!! All Shizuoka sencha for export must now pass new and very stringent regulations set by Japan. These passed without any radiation detected!!!

Tenryu. This highly regarded and sought after selection is from the most highly regarded single, very small farm in Tenryu, it is hand picked asamushi selection that has oxidized ever so slightly. You may see Tenryu name elsewhere, but it is not from this prized farm!

Tenjo is a very limited fukamushi from a single farm, very fresh and vibrant. Very full flavored and a national award winner (see below).

From our anon (for now at least), extremely reputable source (with Japanese accent :mrgreen: ):

Well, Tenryu and Tenjo would be good [pairing for this special offering] I think.

Both are from Shizuoka but one is Asamushi and the other is Fukamushi.

One has a hint of oxidization because it's hand picked. And the other has very fresh green taste.

Also I must inform you that the producer of Tenjo recently received the highest award in the nationwide contest and I'm the only one carrying their teas in North America:) They really do know how to make tea.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Chip » Aug 21st, '12, 15:55

I expect (and hope as I have paid for and just received these sencha) this to sell out quickly, so if interested, please do not hesitate. On or after 6 pm email your interest to me at teachatmoderator@yahoo.com including:

Your TeaChat name
Your name
Shipping address
Outside USA, please include your phone number for customs
Your paypal email
AND which weight option you want, 100 grams each, 50 each, 200 each.

I will then send a confirmation along with payment information. (or regrets if you are too late)

In order to participate, you will have to purchase either 50 or 100 grams of each selection.

So, unlike OTTI which features 10 gram samples of around 5 teas, NOTTI will feature 50 or 100 grams of around 1-2 teas. While reviews are strongly encouraged for OTTI, they will likely be more ... optional for NOTTI.

This topic will be left open for comments or reviews, but no pressure to do so.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Chip » Aug 21st, '12, 15:56

A few words on shipping your NOTTI.

I am inclined to recommend USPS Priority for domestic USA participants at about 6 USD and First Class for international participants, likely around 8 USD for Canada and 10 for Europe and 12 for all other.

This is a "trial by fire" run, so please bear with me. If the total shipping cost is more than 1 USD less, I will refund. Likewise if it is more than 1 USD more, then I may need to ask for additional payment.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Chip » Aug 21st, '12, 16:18

Glad to see these gems are arriving to happy recipients! Most USA recipients should receive them by Monday. International ... well, the German participant might wait longer than destinations much further away. :?

Simple brewing directions.

1:1 ratio (1 gram per 1 ounce/30 ml water) seems to be a good starting point, though I am still experimenting. I am certain these can take higher ratios (more leaf).
Preheated teapot, pour the leaves in seconds before pouring water back in ... AND remember to smell the dry, warming leaves. The Tenryu, I sort of swirl the dry leaves around to release aroma.
Water, 158-160* (70* C). I liked it around this temp for this ratio, but perhaps cooler for higher ratios.
Tenjo 60 seconds, Tenryu 90.

Successive steeps, 165* for 15-30 seconds. 3rd hotter for 60, 4th HOTTER for LONGER. If you go for more steeps, I likely do not have to tell you. :mrgreen:
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Chip » Aug 21st, '12, 16:47

Oh, this NOTTI Round 1 is live. Please feel free to email your interest to me NOW at teachatmoderator@yahoo.com
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby sherubtse » Aug 21st, '12, 17:20

This is a very interesting idea, Chip.

I won't be participating this time 'round, but will follow the progress of the NOTTI with much interest. :mrgreen:

Maybe next time ....

Best wishes,
sherubtse
sherubtse

Postby the_economist » Aug 21st, '12, 22:04

sent my email. thanks chip for organizing, it sounds like its gonna be a blast!
the_economist

Postby sriracha » Aug 22nd, '12, 04:29

Email sent. Excited! =)
sriracha

Location: Lat: N 59º 37' 3.79" Long: E 17º 49' 35.49" or thereabouts

Postby Chip » Aug 22nd, '12, 10:42

We flew through the original allotment, and I have doubled the order. Thanks to everyone so far who has made this first NOTTI round a success. Everyone who has emailed me so far is "in." I will be confirming today.

BUT, now there is still plenty of opportunity to participate in this ... event.

I hope you will join us as these are an incredible value, like getting the best sencha at wholesale prices.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Chip » Aug 22nd, '12, 15:40

Yes, still room ... please join the NOTTI KoolKids! 8)
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Chip » Aug 22nd, '12, 16:00

And once this allotment is gone, it is gone.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Chip » Aug 23rd, '12, 00:36

OK, I have emailed confirmation with payment info to everyone. If you ordered and did not receive an email from me, please resend right away!
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Chip » Aug 23rd, '12, 00:44

My last tally indicated we have only 400 grams of each remaining. Participation has been great, thank you everyone who is participating ...

... but I really need to sell out ... asap since I pay for this out of my own pocket ... not complainin', just sayin'! :mrgreen:

So, if you are on the fence or simply have not emailed me yet but have wanted to, please do so now.

Also, if anyone wants to increase their order, this would help to achieve a sell out as well.

teachatmoderator@yahoo.com
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Poohblah » Aug 23rd, '12, 10:23

e-mail sent. I need to restock on sencha, good timing Chip :mrgreen:
Poohblah

Next

Instant Messenger

Permissions