Antique/Vintage Tea and Tea Ware

Discussion on virtually any teaware related item.

Re: Antique/Vintage Tea and Tea Ware

Postby hopeofdawn » Jul 28th, '12, 00:40

Wow, that is lovely--what kind of figure is that on the lid?

User avatar hopeofdawn
Posts: 589
Joined: Dec 13, '10
Location: Seattle
Contact hopeofdawn:

Re: Antique/Vintage Tea and Tea Ware

Postby MarshalN » Jul 28th, '12, 07:04

A lion

User avatar MarshalN
Posts: 2109
Joined: Mar 15, '06
Contact MarshalN:

Re: Antique/Vintage Tea and Tea Ware

Postby Poohblah » Jul 28th, '12, 20:58

MarshalN wrote:Image
I like the pot! But what in the world is the second character on the stamp? It looks like it could be a Hindu symbol or something. The only thing I can think of that it resembles is 亞

User avatar Poohblah
Posts: 929
Joined: Mar 04, '10
Location: somewhere over the rainbow

Re: Antique/Vintage Tea and Tea Ware

Postby MarshalN » Jul 29th, '12, 08:32


User avatar MarshalN
Posts: 2109
Joined: Mar 15, '06
Contact MarshalN:

Re: Antique/Vintage Tea and Tea Ware

Postby the_economist » Aug 22nd, '12, 11:14

Dunno if this is old, but I thought it was an adorable cup. Would've been absolutely to die for without the enamel deco but still, quite cute. About 35-40ml.

Bottoms -
Image

Up -
Image

User avatar the_economist
Posts: 736
Joined: Sep 04, '10
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Antique/Vintage Tea and Tea Ware

Postby sriracha » Aug 22nd, '12, 11:21

the_economist wrote:Dunno if this is old, but I thought it was an adorable cup. Would've been absolutely to die for without the enamel deco but still, quite cute. About 35-40ml.


My, I would have been all over that one had I found it! Adorable!

User avatar sriracha
Posts: 389
Joined: Jun 15, '09
Location: Lat: N 59º 37' 3.79" Long: E 17º 49' 35.49" or thereabouts

Re: Antique/Vintage Tea and Tea Ware

Postby AaronF » Aug 23rd, '12, 11:40

Anyone know anything about this? My folks got it at a dirt market in China. Obviously, it's not something I use for tea! I have no idea what sort of metal it is, either.

Image

Image

AaronF
Posts: 21
Joined: Aug 21, '12

Re: Antique/Vintage Tea and Tea Ware

Postby MarshalN » Aug 23rd, '12, 12:40

AaronF wrote:Anyone know anything about this? My folks got it at a dirt market in China. Obviously, it's not something I use for tea! I have no idea what sort of metal it is, either.

Image

Image


Fake silver pot. Don't use.

User avatar MarshalN
Posts: 2109
Joined: Mar 15, '06
Contact MarshalN:

Re: Antique/Vintage Tea and Tea Ware

Postby AaronF » Aug 23rd, '12, 13:49

Fake silver pot. Don't use.

Is it basically something made recently to sell to gullible tourists?

AaronF
Posts: 21
Joined: Aug 21, '12

Re: Antique/Vintage Tea and Tea Ware

Postby MarshalN » Aug 23rd, '12, 14:03

AaronF wrote:
Fake silver pot. Don't use.

Is it basically something made recently to sell to gullible tourists?


Yup

User avatar MarshalN
Posts: 2109
Joined: Mar 15, '06
Contact MarshalN:

Re: Antique/Vintage Tea and Tea Ware

Postby AaronF » Aug 23rd, '12, 14:16

Fake silver pot. Don't use.
Is it basically something made recently to sell to gullible tourists?
Yup


Heh. Thanks. I'm not surprised. Still, I like the little thing. It'll sit way up high, far from use.

AaronF
Posts: 21
Joined: Aug 21, '12

Re: Antique/Vintage Tea and Tea Ware

Postby Drax » Aug 23rd, '12, 15:28

If it helps at all, there's nothing about the pot that actually claims that it's silver, other than the color, so saying "fake" is questionable. If it were sold as silver, then yes, it's fake; otherwise, it is what it is.

The green oxidation on the snout suggests that it might be some alloy of copper, perhaps nickel silver (which, despite the name, has no silver in it, but does look like silver... it's usually copper, nickel, and zinc) or cupronickel (just copper and nickel). Either way, alloys of questionable origin are also questionable for food use, so you are wise to use it for display only.

User avatar Drax
Posts: 2882
Joined: Oct 16, '08
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Arlington, VA
Contact Drax:

Re: Antique/Vintage Tea and Tea Ware

Postby MarshalN » Aug 23rd, '12, 15:41

Drax wrote:If it helps at all, there's nothing about the pot that actually claims that it's silver, other than the color, so saying "fake" is questionable. If it were sold as silver, then yes, it's fake; otherwise, it is what it is.

The green oxidation on the snout suggests that it might be some alloy of copper, perhaps nickel silver (which, despite the name, has no silver in it, but does look like silver... it's usually copper, nickel, and zinc) or cupronickel (just copper and nickel). Either way, alloys of questionable origin are also questionable for food use, so you are wise to use it for display only.


The base of the pot claims it's from the Ming dynasty, which is why I said it's fake. It's usually sold as silver (you can find these things on eBay)

User avatar MarshalN
Posts: 2109
Joined: Mar 15, '06
Contact MarshalN:

Re: Antique/Vintage Tea and Tea Ware

Postby AaronF » Aug 23rd, '12, 15:59

The base of the pot claims it's from the Ming dynasty, which is why I said it's fake. It's usually sold as silver (you can find these things on eBay)

Hehe. What else does the base say?

AaronF
Posts: 21
Joined: Aug 21, '12

Re: Antique/Vintage Tea and Tea Ware

Postby Drax » Aug 23rd, '12, 16:12

MarshalN wrote:The base of the pot claims it's from the Ming dynasty


Ah, much more interesting, thanks!

I haven't really read anything on this topic before (that is, marks used in different eras) -- I'm going to guess that they wouldn't use something like "明朝"... so out of curiosity, what does it actually say? I only can make out 穴 and maybe 庸...

User avatar Drax
Posts: 2882
Joined: Oct 16, '08
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Arlington, VA
Contact Drax:


Today's Poll



Community

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest