Storage and aging

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Storage and aging

Postby Lerxst2112 » Aug 27th, '12, 13:12

Last go around in Seagrove, I picked up a small jar for storing tea. (It'll hold maybe 50-75g loose) The basic gist? I'd like to use it for aging something, but no clue what. I'll freely admit that I have no clue what ages well, and what doesn't. The lid isn't air-tight, so I figured it would be good for something like a pu-erh which needs a little bit of airflow.

Suggestions?
Lerxst2112

Re: Storage and aging

Postby theredbaron » Aug 27th, '12, 13:32

Pu Erh you usually store and age in whole cakes or bricks.
Such a small container is good for tea that you drink now.
theredbaron

Postby Lerxst2112 » Aug 27th, '12, 13:45

theredbaron wrote:Pu Erh you usually store and age in whole cakes or bricks.
Such a small container is good for tea that you drink now.

True, and that's why I have my bricks and cakes out. I guess my main question is, can loose pu-erh be stored and even aged in this fashion?
Lerxst2112

Postby TwoDog2 » Aug 27th, '12, 21:47

Lerxst2112 wrote:True, and that's why I have my bricks and cakes out. I guess my main question is, can loose pu-erh be stored and even aged in this fashion?

Sure, you can put maocha in the jar and store it there. Or break up a cake and put it in there. Immediate or long term storage are both fine. Just follow general rules of storage (no direct sunlight, strong smells, etc)
TwoDog2
Vendor Member

Postby Bryan_drinks_te... » Aug 29th, '12, 12:20

TwoDog2 wrote:
Lerxst2112 wrote:True, and that's why I have my bricks and cakes out. I guess my main question is, can loose pu-erh be stored and even aged in this fashion?

Sure, you can put maocha in the jar and store it there. Or break up a cake and put it in there. Immediate or long term storage are both fine. Just follow general rules of storage (no direct sunlight, strong smells, etc)

+1 I've considered loose jars for shu pu thats over five years old, and I understand that you've got some shu from 05, Lerxst. Good Luck!
Bryan_drinks_te...

Instant Messenger

Permissions