Storage and aging

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Aug 27th, '12, 13:12
Scrolling: scrolling

Storage and aging

by Lerxst2112 » Aug 27th, '12, 13:12

Last go around in Seagrove, I picked up a small jar for storing tea. (It'll hold maybe 50-75g loose) The basic gist? I'd like to use it for aging something, but no clue what. I'll freely admit that I have no clue what ages well, and what doesn't. The lid isn't air-tight, so I figured it would be good for something like a pu-erh which needs a little bit of airflow.

Suggestions?

Aug 27th, '12, 13:32

Re: Storage and aging

by theredbaron » Aug 27th, '12, 13:32

Pu Erh you usually store and age in whole cakes or bricks.
Such a small container is good for tea that you drink now.

Aug 27th, '12, 13:45
Scrolling: scrolling

by Lerxst2112 » Aug 27th, '12, 13:45

theredbaron wrote:Pu Erh you usually store and age in whole cakes or bricks.
Such a small container is good for tea that you drink now.
True, and that's why I have my bricks and cakes out. I guess my main question is, can loose pu-erh be stored and even aged in this fashion?

Aug 27th, '12, 21:47
Vendor Member

by TwoDog2 » Aug 27th, '12, 21:47

Lerxst2112 wrote: True, and that's why I have my bricks and cakes out. I guess my main question is, can loose pu-erh be stored and even aged in this fashion?
Sure, you can put maocha in the jar and store it there. Or break up a cake and put it in there. Immediate or long term storage are both fine. Just follow general rules of storage (no direct sunlight, strong smells, etc)

Aug 29th, '12, 12:20

by bryan_drinks_tea » Aug 29th, '12, 12:20

TwoDog2 wrote:
Lerxst2112 wrote: True, and that's why I have my bricks and cakes out. I guess my main question is, can loose pu-erh be stored and even aged in this fashion?
Sure, you can put maocha in the jar and store it there. Or break up a cake and put it in there. Immediate or long term storage are both fine. Just follow general rules of storage (no direct sunlight, strong smells, etc)

+1 I've considered loose jars for shu pu thats over five years old, and I understand that you've got some shu from 05, Lerxst. Good Luck!

+ Post Reply