Chinese Teas , where to start ?

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Sep 2nd, '12, 10:04

Chinese Teas , where to start ?

by Darjeelingamor » Sep 2nd, '12, 10:04

I interested in nice Chinese Teas ,
Actually in summer my favorites are Japanese Gyokuro , Oolong and Darjeelings , now Autum is coming and I interesting in some Chinese black - red Teas ,
not necesary sweet but as posible noticiable Frutty and some floral ,
Recomendations are wellcome ! Thanks :wink:

Sep 2nd, '12, 11:07
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Chinese Teas , where to start ?

by Chip » Sep 2nd, '12, 11:07

I personally prefer Keemun and certain congou. It is personal taste. A lot of people prefer the Yunnan blacks which are interesting but have never found one to my true liking.

I am not recommending buying from this site, but it is an interesting read to see the variety of blacks from China available. http://uptontea.com/shopcart/toc.asp?pa ... lack#China

This sounds interesting ... http://www.themandarinstearoom.com/2010 ... _p_34.html

Sep 2nd, '12, 12:58

by MIKE_B » Sep 2nd, '12, 12:58

Sep 2nd, '12, 16:45

by debunix » Sep 2nd, '12, 16:45

The problem with trying to give specific references is that I don't order black teas very often, and my favorite 'Black Ruby' from Taiwan, that I got from Norbu, is no longer available. I've enjoyed Yunnan Golds from many sources. I haven't yet been able to tolerate a keemun regardless of source, but who knows, in time maybe even that will change. I did get a remarkably pleasing 'Imperial Pearl' as part of the OTTI 15, which impressed me more on the second go round than the first trial, that is about as close as you can get to a black tea and not quite be one.

Sep 28th, '12, 03:14
Vendor Member

by TwoDog2 » Sep 28th, '12, 03:14

Darjeelingamor wrote:I interested in nice Chinese Teas ,
Actually in summer my favorites are Japanese Gyokuro , Oolong and Darjeelings , now Autum is coming and I interesting in some Chinese black - red Teas ,
not necesary sweet but as posible noticiable Frutty and some floral ,
Recomendations are wellcome ! Thanks :wink:
If you are shopping by region, I like Fujian black teas, and Anhui if you want a good price/enjoyment ratio. I just polished off the last of a bag of some Anhui black tea in my desk that cost something like $5 for 100g. I can't believe how cheap it was, and how much it doesn't suck. Not sure what online vendor to recommend, but the recs above look good

Oct 17th, '12, 12:39

by jcov » Oct 17th, '12, 12:39

I love some fujian blacks. I find them to be very refined teas and have lots of undertones. If you want juicy/sweet black tea I would usually say Fujian. I like my yunnan blacks more on the heavy side, darker and more robust. Although you can find several lighter yunnan blacks like imperial golden bud which can be really sweet and to me seems to have a bit of 'pine-like' freshness.

Just explore, chinese black tea is really all around, just explore and find what you like.

+ Post Reply