Yellow Teas that are not Tippy

White and yellow teas are among the most subtle.

Jul 13th, '12, 16:28

Yellow Teas that are not Tippy

by AlexZorach » Jul 13th, '12, 16:28

All the yellow teas that I know of are tippy teas, like huangya, or Junshan Yinzhen, made exclusively out of tips.

Does anyone know of yellow teas that are made out of larger, more mature leaves, whether exclusively larger leaves, or a mixture of larger leaves with buds?

I am curious if any of these exist, or if there is some reason that the yellow tea production process only works for tippy teas.

Jul 14th, '12, 02:34
Location: Lat: N 59º 37' 3.79" Long: E 17º 49' 35.49" or thereabouts

Re: Yellow Teas that are not Tippy

by sriracha » Jul 14th, '12, 02:34

Sunon Yellow doesn't seem very tippy in pictures, at least. =)

Jul 14th, '12, 09:02

by iovetea » Jul 14th, '12, 09:02

AlexZorach wrote:All the yellow teas that I know of are tippy teas, like huangya, or Junshan Yinzhen, made exclusively out of tips.

Does anyone know of yellow teas that are made out of larger, more mature leaves, whether exclusively larger leaves, or a mixture of larger leaves with buds?

I am curious if any of these exist, or if there is some reason that the yellow tea production process only works for tippy teas.
i only saw it at one websites, i think its called kekecha...
but i don't know if its honest yellow tea or not...

Jul 16th, '12, 16:43

by AlexZorach » Jul 16th, '12, 16:43

Never heard of Sunon Yellow or Kekecha before...thanks. Both of these look pretty esoteric and not widely available, so it makes sense that I wouldn't have heard of them.

Sep 3rd, '12, 10:27
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Sep 3rd, '12, 10:27

That's an interesting topic! Yellow tea in China is categorized into "tippy/bud tea" and "leafy tea". The yellow bud tea (such as Junshan Yinzhen and huangya) are the upscale ones but a problem with almost all of them is nowadays they are made almost the same as green tea and lack features of yellow tea. Junshan Yinzhen is very hard to get, and most of the already hard-to-obtain ones are actually green tea with only the title of Junshan. Same problem with Mengding Yellow Bud. Another bud tea, Huo Shan Yellow Bud, was "officially" converted to green tea in recent decades.

On the other hand, the leafy yellow teas are more likely to be really "yellow tea" and not green tea. But most of them are considered intermediate to lower grade teas and are only popular in local markets within their own counties.

+ Post Reply