NOTTI Round 1, Tea 'n' Tea

"Official Tea Tasting Initiative" Teas shared & discussed.

Re: NOTTI Round 1, Tea 'n' Tea

Postby Chip » Sep 5th, '12, 16:37

This was the most tea I ever saw first hand. :mrgreen:

Must I really ship it to everyone? :twisted:

(although, OTTI 16 will arrive any day ... and an organic OTTI and ... !!! ... oh wait, you did not hear me say that!)
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Chip » Sep 6th, '12, 14:37

NOTTI Round 1 is officially enroute to participants worldwide! :mrgreen:
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Chip » Sep 6th, '12, 14:48

Tenjo to start the TeaDay ... Tenryu is up next.

Do not be green with envy :mrgreen: , most of you will have yours in a couple days!
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby TIM » Sep 6th, '12, 14:55

Already Chip... Please share why these are so special and how they can blow any other out of the tea water! :wink:
TIM
Vendor Member

Postby JRS22 » Sep 6th, '12, 16:47

TIM wrote:Already Chip... Please share why these are so special and how they can blow any other out of the tea water! :wink:

+1!
JRS22

Postby Poohblah » Sep 8th, '12, 17:00

just got mine in the mail, thanks Chip! :mrgreen: may start tasting this evening.
Poohblah

Postby tst » Sep 8th, '12, 17:17

Just got mine as well ... waiting to hear the master brewing instructions! :mrgreen:

Thanks Chip!
tst

Postby tinols » Sep 8th, '12, 17:43

Woohoo!
tinols

Postby TIM » Sep 8th, '12, 18:10

Some important brewing instruction which might help to brew this top grade sencha selection.

http://theteagallery.blogspot.com/2009/ ... encha.html

Enjoy! Toki
TIM
Vendor Member

Postby Poohblah » Sep 8th, '12, 20:13

I started with the Tenjo. Really really sweet, and the dry leaves smell so fresh and grassy. Keeps going and going :mrgreen: IMHO it blows the fuka offerings from the O-Cha OTTI out of the water, although I'll need some more tasting to say for sure.
Poohblah

Postby brandon » Sep 8th, '12, 20:33

Poohblah wrote:I started with the Tenjo. Really really sweet, and the dry leaves smell so fresh and grassy. Keeps going and going :mrgreen: IMHO it blows the fuka offerings from the O-Cha OTTI out of the water, although I'll need some more tasting to say for sure.

I drank the Tenjo in an 80ml kyusu, lots of leaf. I was teadrunk in no time. Lots of body. No need to curse comparing this refined tea to Internet vendors. :lol:

My first brew, 30 seconds, was good but not long enough to get the full mouthfeel. Seems to need a full minute to open, I should have listened to Fuka Master Chip.
brandon

Postby Chip » Sep 9th, '12, 00:21

Glad to see these gems are arriving to happy recipients! Most USA recipients should receive them by Monday. International ... well, the German participant might wait longer than destinations much further away. :?

Simple brewing directions. These are also located on page 1 near the beginning of this topic for easy finding.

1:1 ratio (1 gram per 1 ounce/30 ml water) seems to be a good starting point, though I am still experimenting. I am certain these can take higher ratios (more leaf).
Preheated teapot, pour the leaves in seconds before pouring water back in ... AND remember to smell the dry warming leaves. The Tenryu, I sort of swirl the dry leaves around to release aroma.
Water, 158-160* (70* C). I liked it around this temp for this ratio, but perhaps cooler for higher ratios.
Tenjo 60 seconds, Tenryu 90.

Successive steeps, 165* for 15-30 seconds. 3rd hotter for 60, 4th HOTTER for LONGER. If you go for more steeps, I likely do not have to tell you. :mrgreen:
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Chip » Sep 9th, '12, 00:31

TIM wrote:Already Chip... Please share why these are so special and how they can blow any other out of the tea water! :wink:

I do not make boasts ... I will leave this to participants. :mrgreen:

However ... from earlier in this topic:

Tenryu. This highly regarded and sought after selection is from the most highly regarded single, very small farm in Tenryu, it is hand picked asamushi selection that has oxidized ever so slightly. You may see Tenryu name elsewhere, but it is not from this prized farm!

Tenjo is a very limited fukamushi from a single farm, very fresh and vibrant. Very full flavored and a national award winner (see below).

From our anon (for now at least), extremely reputable source (with Japanese accent :mrgreen: ):

Well, Tenryu and Tenjo would be good [pairing for this special offering] I think.

Both are from Shizuoka but one is Asamushi and the other is Fukamushi.

One has a hint of oxidization because it's hand picked. And the other has very fresh green taste.

Also I must inform you that the producer of Tenjo recently received the highest award in the nationwide contest and I'm the only one carrying their teas in North America:) They really do know how to make tea.

This supplier really knows how to source teas!!! I just hope everyone truly enjoys these 2 selections ... then there may be more selections. :twisted:

BTW, in case someone out these is wondering. These are all in 50 gram bags. You can cold store bags that you are not going to use right away, BUT I would recommend placing the pouch into another layer or two of ziplocks for added protection.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby spinmail » Sep 9th, '12, 01:53

Chip,

Just got my teas in the mail today, and I started on the Tenjo, it had an amazing freshness; the flavor is richer and sweeter than most Matcha.

I'm now officially addicted to NOTTI!

Thanks again.
spinmail

Postby the_economist » Sep 9th, '12, 09:57

Just did the Tenjo and had a lovely session with it. Nice texture and aftertaste.

And the murky swampy spent leaves

the_economist

PreviousNext

Instant Messenger

Permissions