The latest price of Red Mark, Blue Mark etc.

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Jul 10th, '11, 22:20
Scrolling: fixed

Re: The latest price of Red Mark, Blue Mark etc.

by TomVerlain » Jul 10th, '11, 22:20

I will be in vancouver end of the month, and Best Tea House is on my list of things to do.....

I went to the Tsim Sha Tsui store in HK, and I just realized the pic I posted is of the cake I got there. It is a mixed sheng shu cake. I did get a cake at Henry Tea, but it was sheng. Both cakes have similar CNNP lables.

Last time I was in vancouver I bought a nice antique gaiwan at Best Tea House. Very nice folks there. I posted a link of pictures before from my last trip. I was fortunate to try the "88" cake there.

Jul 10th, '11, 22:31

by odarwin » Jul 10th, '11, 22:31

do you have pictures of henry tea company shop?

Jul 10th, '11, 22:42
Scrolling: fixed

by TomVerlain » Jul 10th, '11, 22:42

I didn't take pictures at Henry's. This is Best Tea in HK

The tea I bought

Jul 11th, '11, 04:59

by apache » Jul 11th, '11, 04:59

TIM wrote:
apache wrote:Just find another price for Red Mark from HLH dealer on TB http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=9433609416.

There is big different between Henry's and here. I wonder is this one pure dry storage so demanding such a price. They didn't say which year or storage condition on the site.

I looked at their other HLH cakes, prices are very similar to Scott's. Scott has just increased the HLH 2008 LBZ & Man'E to $92! As Scott stocks most of the same teas on this site, I wonder would he one day stock the Red Mark, Blue Mark ... as well? :mrgreen:

Look like Houde is the best deal if one want to experience the Red Mark, and I'm contented with my EoT cakes and HLH LBZ & Man'E.

As from my knowledge and experences with real 50s red label. There is no dry storage :roll:
Is the same can be said to other Mark grade teas? There is no dry storage? Or there is no dry stored tea before 88 Qing?

Another question: if one does not enjoy wet storage tea, would that person not very likely appreciate the Red Mark?

Jul 11th, '11, 15:03

by wyardley » Jul 11th, '11, 15:03

apache wrote: Is the same can be said to other Mark grade teas? There is no dry storage? Or there is no dry stored tea before 88 Qing?
In my very limited experience, and from what I've heard others say, storage varies quite a bit among all these landmark cakes, i.e., some are better / more cleanly stored than others. So storage matters, and you can tell something about how a tea was stored from tasting it. I think that the concept of, or interest in, dry storage doesn't come about until at least the 90s, and further, most, if not all, of the places where pu'er was stored in large quantities in those days were in fairly humid climates.

And I think even 88 qing bing has had some "traditional" storage early in its life, and its later storage in HK was still humid; just drier than some.
apache wrote: Another question: if one does not enjoy wet storage tea, would that person not very likely appreciate the Red Mark?
I guess it depends what "one" means by "wet storage tea". That term means different things to different people, and when you're talking about a tea that's 60+ years... that's a lot of history -- it's unlikely that the tea was stored in the same place for its whole life. Also, "wet" is not necessarily the same as "not dry". To me, well aged old tea just tastes like old tea....there shouldn't be any unpleasant storage taste left at this point, even if the tea was traditionally stored earlier on.

Jul 11th, '11, 17:21

by apache » Jul 11th, '11, 17:21

Thank you very much for your reply, wyardley. You are right, wet or dry storage is not like black or white, one or the other, there are whole spectrum of shades. And the storage conditions vary though out of the history of the tea.

I always think it is a no easy task to evaluate the value of antique teas, or every 50's Red Mark will asked for the same price. Surely, some are better stored than the others. Just because a tea is 50's Red Mark, doesn't mean it will worth HK$ 150K unless it been stored properly and the end result really tastes outstanding.

Jul 11th, '11, 17:53
Vendor Member

by TIM » Jul 11th, '11, 17:53

apache wrote: Another question: if one does not enjoy wet storage tea, would that person not very likely appreciate the Red Mark?
Apache - My closest explanation I can give is: If I gave someone a 1950 Château Haut-Brion and its flat, most people might not care about the taste and still think its great. If that bottle is just a little flat, how many people can have the knowledge to know? .. and will it still be good?

But if you have a perfect stored Haut-Brion from the 50's, its magic, and it will command the right market price, rather then under market value. Same as these old labels puerh.

Jul 11th, '11, 18:21

by fdrx » Jul 11th, '11, 18:21

I like graves a lot, i'll be there in ten days to visit some family in langon... but like most chinese people will never drink expensive high mountain puerh, i will never drink a good Haut-Brion...
I've been in front of Yquem 1000 times and i never tasted it either, and will never do... but i'm ok to buy an expensive puerh cake, or two! life is funny...
anyway i prefer to open my wallet for a good côte rôtie :mrgreen:
Last edited by fdrx on Jul 11th, '11, 18:32, edited 3 times in total.

Jul 11th, '11, 18:25

by apache » Jul 11th, '11, 18:25

TIM wrote:
Apache - My closest explanation I can give is: If I gave someone a 1950 Château Haut-Brion and its flat, most people might not care about the taste and still think its great. If that bottle is just a little flat, how many people can have the knowledge to know? .. and will it still be good?

But if you have a perfect stored Haut-Brion from the 50's, its magic, and it will command the right market price, rather then under market value. Same as these old labels puerh.
Very well said, Tim.
Yes, knowing how much one pay for something, it does colour our judgment. We need blind tasting to be objective about it.

Sep 6th, '12, 04:35
Vendor Member

by TwoDog2 » Sep 6th, '12, 04:35

charlinpaul wrote:
you can directly buy it here:
through your affiliate link...? That was already linked via taobao earlier in the thread.

Sep 6th, '12, 06:37
Scrolling: scrolling

by Drax » Sep 6th, '12, 06:37

Aww, and here I thought that there were a bunch of new interesting posts in the pu'erh section, and most of them turned out to be hawking.

Oh well... but this particular thread (though very old) does remind me of a more recent thread that would be interesting to check up on.... *runs off to go find it...*

Sep 6th, '12, 06:57

by apache » Sep 6th, '12, 06:57

Drax wrote:Aww, and here I thought that there were a bunch of new interesting posts in the pu'erh section, and most of them turned out to be hawking.

Oh well... but this particular thread (though very old) does remind me of a more recent thread that would be interesting to check up on.... *runs off to go find it...*
I think it hard to stamp out all 'indirect ad' on this forum, may be we should put more efforts to post something more interesting.

Sep 7th, '12, 11:57

by wh&yel-apprentice » Sep 7th, '12, 11:57

TIM wrote:
apache wrote:Just find another price for Red Mark from HLH dealer on TB http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=9433609416.

There is big different between Henry's and here. I wonder is this one pure dry storage so demanding such a price. They didn't say which year or storage condition on the site.

Look like Houde is the best deal if one want to experience the Red Mark, and I'm contented with my EoT cakes and HLH LBZ & Man'E.
As from my knowledge and experences with real 50s red label. There is no dry storage :roll:
no more RM @Houde :(...if you believe Cloud, being as young as he would likely be as a law school student in 2003, Red Mark cakes could be dry stored as opposed to purposely extra humid/wet stored. Just look at the difference in paper wrappers on the Blue Mark 50's @BT in Vancouver.

BTW, what's the diff btw Grade A & B? Is there a C,D, & F? Dif btw Grade 0 and others???

Looks like there might be some decomposition of the label, but it's in better condition than the one Cloud posted:

^Cloud's collector friend.

BM @BT:
^pretty clean label> fake?

^deteriorated label

likewise:

Sep 7th, '12, 12:06

by wh&yel-apprentice » Sep 7th, '12, 12:06

TIM wrote:

1950 Haut Brion is just an average vintage of HB...no magic, no matter how it was stored. Better to use Pomerol as an example for specifically 1950, Petrus in particular (unless it came from Rudy K, where it would likely be a masterful blend of Calif Zinfandel & Merlot :) ).

Sep 7th, '12, 12:14

by wh&yel-apprentice » Sep 7th, '12, 12:14

apache wrote:
TIM wrote:

Very well said, Tim.
Yes, knowing how much one pay for something, it does colour our judgment. We need blind tasting to be objective about it.
but even the expert tasters can be duped, it's not difficult if you have an excellent palate>>> you can *make*/fake your own classique vintages and fool them all until you get careless/sloppy, roflmao...just ask Dr Conti, Mr 1947, aka Zhen Wang Huang:

http://nymag.com/print/?/news/features/ ... ud-2012-5/

+ Post Reply