Jun 21st, '12, 21:58

Looking for a replacement to Teavana's Temple Peaks

by LukeS » Jun 21st, '12, 21:58

This is the tea that I have been enjoying lately: http://www.teavana.com/the-teas/black-t ... -black-tea

I've been looking around for a replacement (because after a couple unpleasant Teavana experiences with employees, and the high price, I need one) but unfortunately I have no idea what type of tea it is, because they don't say whether it's a ceylon or assam or yunnan, etc.

Like it says, it's light/medium bodied, but I'm fine with a straight medium-bodied tea (actually, I might prefer that.) Does anyone know what may possibly be similar to it? The scent is a tiny bit chocolatey, if that helps at all. Something that goes well with one spoon of sugar (how I take it) would be great.

It could be from Adagio, or any other store, as long as it's affordable.

Any recommendations?

Jun 21st, '12, 22:08
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Looking for a replacement to Teavana's Temple Peaks

by Chip » Jun 21st, '12, 22:08

"steeped in history" but they are not going to tell you. :lol:

My guess, Yunnan. Golden tips and elevation.

Might be a good place to start looking. Since you mention Adagio, they do have a couple selections.

Jun 21st, '12, 22:18

by LukeS » Jun 21st, '12, 22:18

Thanks! I was perusing the black teas on Adagio a bit ago, and the Yunnan Gold and Yunnan Jig looked closest in color and leaf length/shape. The description of the Jig sounds a lot like it, too, with a cocoa flavor, and the fact that it's hard to over-steep (same with the Temple Peaks.)

Jul 13th, '12, 16:21

by AlexZorach » Jul 13th, '12, 16:21

I second Chip on the Golden Yunnan recommendation. Try looking for a Golden Yunnan or Golden Monkey (a similar tea from Fujian province).

Many companies sell good Yunnan gold teas, and many are cheaper than Teavana. There are other teas too which may look different but which you may enjoy. I recently sampled Bailin Gongfu from TeaVivre and really liked that one (it had a very bready, biscuity quality).

Yunnan golds tend to get more expensive as they get more golden in color. The golden ones tend to be smoother in flavor. Sometimes I actually like the darker ones more, they're bolder and stronger tasting, and they are often considerably cheaper.

Lots of good companies have good Yunnan gold teas. I've tried Rishi's, Adagio's, and one from Life in Teacup. I like Rishi's the best. In terms of slightly darker teas I like Upton Tea Imports' ZY64, Ying Ming Yunnan Black Tea from Imperial Tea Garden, and Rishi's China Breakfast. There are probably lots of other great options out there too!

Sep 7th, '12, 21:39

by edkrueger » Sep 7th, '12, 21:39

Chip wrote:"steeped in history"
That is because it is steeped in mystery too. :D I guess I am a few months late to this thread, but I think it looks like fujian tea. It seems a bit hairy too hairy for yunnan tea –but it could be the picture. The other, better reason is that I think it is fujian is that it is probably a even lower grade of this: http://www.teavana.com/the-teas/black-t ... -black-tea

+ Post Reply