Thoughts from a new Hong Kong bo lei drinker

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Sep 8th, '12, 10:25

Re: Thoughts from a new Hong Kong bo lei drinker

by MarshalN » Sep 8th, '12, 10:25

Luk Yu won't give you good tea unless you're a regular. I'd prefer going to Lin Heung, actually. Worse tea, but better atmosphere.

Sep 8th, '12, 10:31
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Sep 8th, '12, 10:31

MarshalN wrote:Luk Yu won't give you good tea unless you're a regular. I'd prefer going to Lin Heung, actually. Worse tea, but better atmosphere.
What do you think of the food at both places? I had some very bad cheap siu mai this morning--the pork smelled off.

Apache: ah yes, I remember reading this on his blog!

Sep 9th, '12, 03:49
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Sep 9th, '12, 03:49

Double post
Last edited by jayinhk on Sep 9th, '12, 09:14, edited 1 time in total.

Sep 9th, '12, 03:54
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Sep 9th, '12, 03:54

Was in Sheung Wan earlier and took my father to a very famous local restaurant chain famous for their fish ball noodles: I'm sure those of you who are familiar with Hong Kong know which one. Dad, who moved here in 1969, had never been there before, and was pleasantly surprised. After he headed home, I decided to come back to my office to get some work done. On the way back, I decided to pop into Ying Kee Tea House, a store that I've passed by hundreds, if not thousands of times, since my dad actually had a factory right around the corner. As long as I can remember, it's been staffed by snooty old men who sneer at me. I'm sure my dad's bought tea there before though, but I hadn't. I've seen it change over the years and it is surprisingly modern now.

I waltzed on in today and told one of the guys I wanted to look at tea cups and cha hai. Their prices were surprisingly reasonable, I felt, so I picked up a clear borosilicate cha hai. An older man came in to buy some tea, and was pretty much staring at me. I smiled and nodded, and he kept staring. :roll:

As is typical for HK, the staff and the customer started discussing me while I was there. They had no idea where I was from. I got called black today--might be the five days of stubble and the straw hat. I just chuckled to myself and checked out the Yixings.

The older man bought some oolong and something else. I decided to pick up 75g of their best bo lei and luk on, and the cha hai. I wanted 100g of each, but since tea is sold by catty (600g), it was either 75g (1/8) or 150g (1/4). I don't know if they normally do bags that small, but it was cool to be able to buy a small amount of each to try. Their bo lei did look, and smell, quite good.

They had chrysanthemum flowers in the fridge, which is something I don't think I've seen before. It was around US$10.50 for two small packs, and they said I could buy half if I wanted, but I decided to pass as I don't drink all that much chrysanthemum right now.

I also checked out their entry level Yixing, which was priced right at the same level as the one Marshal suggested, but I held off as I felt the lid was just a little loose, and I wanted to see how the other one compares.

I would love to hear Marshal's opinion of Ying Kee!

After Ying Kee, I walked over to a porcelain store I'd noticed on my way to meet dad. They had some very nice gaiwans, including a beautiful, thin porcelain one with images in it. I don't remember what that type of porcelain is called, but it was a real beauty. Still drinking some shu, but I'd like to try the new bo lei from Ying Kee later tonight. :)

Sep 9th, '12, 06:30
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Sep 9th, '12, 06:30

Infusion 1 of the Luk On and some very good Chiuchow roast goose and goose-bone soup from a small family-run business across the street. I know I should really be drinking Tie Guanyin with this simple Chiuchow meal, but I had to try the Luk On. :)

http://mojoimage.com/free-image-hosting ... MG0468.JPG

Interestingly, the Luk On tastes a lot like the pu erh from last night, but this Luk On is more bitter and less fruity. I wonder if it was Luk On they served us.

Sep 9th, '12, 07:35

by MarshalN » Sep 9th, '12, 07:35

Which goose restaurant is this?

Ying Kee is good for run of the mill, regular drinking stuff, no more.

Sep 9th, '12, 09:18
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Sep 9th, '12, 09:18

MarshalN wrote:Which goose restaurant is this?

Ying Kee is good for run of the mill, regular drinking stuff, no more.
Marshal, it's right in Sai Ying Pun on Queen's Road West, between Centre Street and Eastern Street. I'm sure it has a name, but since I can't read much Chinese, I couldn't tell you. It's pretty much right across from McDonalds. Nothing fancy, but great value and very enjoyable!

As for Ying Kee, glad I finally got to go in there and buy some tea! The prices were commensurate with drinking grade I guess. Any suggestions on good stores for Luk On? Would love to try some good stuff!
Last edited by jayinhk on Sep 10th, '12, 23:17, edited 1 time in total.

Sep 10th, '12, 04:55
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Sep 10th, '12, 04:55

Walked down to work later than usual today and stopped by the first place I visited last week. The owner, Pauline, remembered me. I decided to stop by on impulse--this is starting to add up! Picked up 75g of her best nuclear green Tieguanyin, 75g of her best Luk On (for comparison) and then asked her if she had any wong cha. Marshal had told me not to bother, but I had to try it at least once. It was perhaps the most expensive tea in the entire store and she said it was the best she could find. She'd opened up a tin at the Tea Fair and said I could take a small amount if I wanted. I took 10g as a sample, and it wasn't too expensive. Just brewed up some of the Supreme Pu'Erh from Ying Kee and I'm waiting to give it a taste.

There was a massive cabinet full of Yixings, gaiwans and assorted cups and other tea equipment. ALL of it was hers! She said she'd just started learning about Yixings herself, so she doesn't sell them, but she showed me her father's Yixing from the 1950s.

She did, however, have three very nice gaiwans she'd just picked up in China that were actually a pretty good deal, given the workmanship. They're all the same size, but with different handpainted scenes on them. I think I may have to take one off her hands!

Sep 10th, '12, 13:50

by gasninja » Sep 10th, '12, 13:50

And further down the rabit hole you go

Sep 10th, '12, 13:59

by apache » Sep 10th, '12, 13:59

gasninja wrote:And further down the rabit hole you go
Quick, take the "Blue Pill" instead!

Sep 10th, '12, 14:37
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Sep 10th, '12, 14:37

I think it may already be too late, but hey, I'm having fun. :) I might check out the tea offerings at the Nepalese grocery store by me tomorrow. I need more tea like I need a hole in the head :D

Sep 10th, '12, 22:30

by MarshalN » Sep 10th, '12, 22:30

But, but it's nirvana on the other side of the hole!

Sep 10th, '12, 22:58

by shah82 » Sep 10th, '12, 22:58

Uh huh...Nirvana in tea has the same going rate as the finest cocaine. You think jayinhk has that kind of dough?

Sep 10th, '12, 23:08

by debunix » Sep 10th, '12, 23:08

Grateful that I can achieve pu-bliss with teas that are affordable, not to mention entirely legal--a distinct advantage to enjoying some brisk young shengs as much or more as the aged mellow beautie$....

Sep 10th, '12, 23:22
Vendor Member

by TwoDog2 » Sep 10th, '12, 23:22

He was warned...

Now it is only a matter of time before he is living in a cardboard box, clutching a few cakes 70's sheng (his last Earthly possessions), and going on teachat at the public library, like the rest of us. Bye bye life savings.

+ Post Reply