Sep 6th, '05, 13:34

by klemptor » Sep 6th, '05, 13:34

I see my mistake - I said "airtight seal." They don't actually have a seal, but they do close tightly enough that they serve as airtight.

When you pull the lid off it's like a suctiony-thing. (Yes, that's the technical explanation.)

So I guess they're a little more airtight than the sampler tins - the lids fit very snugly.
I came in from the wilderness, a creature void of form.

Sep 7th, '05, 09:45

by PeteVu » Sep 7th, '05, 09:45

i must have a thousand coupons from the container store. they practically coated the floor with them on our merchant advertising day.
There are four advantages to green tea... Its beauty, its taste, its aroma, and its health benefits. Learn to enjoy the first three and you'll forget you drank it for the fourth. ^^

Sep 7th, '05, 10:04

by Tadiera » Sep 7th, '05, 10:04

I have this bag from Teaism for my white tea. It is not airtight (being a bag, that is difficult), but it is light-tight and has a... hrm, I am not sure what it is, but on the front a section that allows for decent air circulation into it.

After a year, I have not noticed any issues with the tea, but that may be due to it being white vs. say green.

Also:
Know those sippy cups for kids? The small cups with the lids that snap on? You can get ones without the spout and I have found those to be airtight. When I was still living at home, I snagged at least one for tea use. ;)

Sep 7th, '05, 20:38

by DavidH » Sep 7th, '05, 20:38

The Quattro Stagioni Spice Jar from the Container Store is essentially a 5oz canning jar. I bought some nice airtight tins at Cost Plus Imports a few years agon, their prducts vary, so they may not have them now.
David

Sep 8th, '05, 22:39

by Ric » Sep 8th, '05, 22:39

Tadiera wrote:I have this bag from Teaism for my white tea. It is not airtight (being a bag, that is difficult), but it is light-tight and has a... hrm, I am not sure what it is, but on the front a section that allows for decent air circulation into it.

After a year, I have not noticed any issues with the tea, but that may be due to it being white vs. say green.

Also:
Know those sippy cups for kids? The small cups with the lids that snap on? You can get ones without the spout and I have found those to be airtight. When I was still living at home, I snagged at least one for tea use. ;)
Good idea,

My son is now five years old and now I know what I can use those old snap on lid cups we have left over.

And I just thought of another good idea, Glad and Ziplock both make disposable "tufferware" containers that are airtight. Use those and keep in a dark cool place.

I do have quite an assortment of tea tins from Adagio and Upton teas - I just use those when they are empty and tape on the label from the tea I put in thos tins.
In God's Grace,
Ric

Sep 9th, '05, 18:47

by Mina - not logged in » Sep 9th, '05, 18:47

klemptor wrote:This is on-topic ;)

Container Store has some great ones - search "seamless tins."

I've been using these and am very happy with the results!

Edit: These do have an airtight seal - like the Adagio sampler tins.
I have tins like these. They are inexpensive but not terribly useful for longterm use. They rust easily. Container Store posts a warning about that, but the place where I bought the tins did not. So I used some to freeze coconut. Apparently the moisture of the freezer caused rusting around the rim. Yuck. I didn't think food-grade items could rust. So now I'll just use them to transport tea on a daily basis, and I'm still looking for good decorative tins for my cabinets. Or rather, canisters, with a rubber seal. I have jars from IKEA that I love, but alas, they are glass. Is a transparent container still a problem if I store tea in a dark cabinet?

Sep 9th, '05, 19:48

by klemptor » Sep 9th, '05, 19:48

No - glass is fine for a dark, closed cabinet.
I came in from the wilderness, a creature void of form.

+ Post Reply