Pictures of some key people in the pu world

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Sep 15th, '12, 12:28

Re: Pictures of some key people in the pu world

by gasninja » Sep 15th, '12, 12:28

There is a listing of all the people attending this conference in art of tea issue three.

Sep 15th, '12, 13:31

by apache » Sep 15th, '12, 13:31

theredbaron wrote: ...
It is Paul Lim, or Master Lim Ping Xiang, a tea master from Malaysia. And my friend and tea teacher for the past 15 odd years.
He gave a talk in London June this year organized by EoT.
There are one or two interesting people on second page as well.

Sep 15th, '12, 13:39

by theredbaron » Sep 15th, '12, 13:39

apache wrote:
theredbaron wrote: ...
It is Paul Lim, or Master Lim Ping Xiang, a tea master from Malaysia. And my friend and tea teacher for the past 15 odd years.
He gave a talk in London June this year organized by EoT.

Since i have known him his main interests were to revitalize tea culture, and to also bring Chinese tea culture into the west. His whole life is completely devoted to tea.

Sep 15th, '12, 17:05

by tst » Sep 15th, '12, 17:05

MarshalN wrote:
Poohblah wrote:a few of those photos make me ask, "since when can Chinese grow facial hair?" I think the gray-haired bearded man in one of the photos may be a Westerner though, but it's hard to tell without seeing his face
Uh, what world do you live in? Plenty of Chinese people can grow plenty of facial hair, including yours truly
Pics or it didn't happen!

:P

Sep 15th, '12, 17:18

by apache » Sep 15th, '12, 17:18

tst wrote:
MarshalN wrote:
Poohblah wrote:a few of those photos make me ask, "since when can Chinese grow facial hair?" I think the gray-haired bearded man in one of the photos may be a Westerner though, but it's hard to tell without seeing his face
Uh, what world do you live in? Plenty of Chinese people can grow plenty of facial hair, including yours truly

Gosh! You really put him on the spot.

Sep 15th, '12, 21:46

by MarshalN » Sep 15th, '12, 21:46

apache wrote:
tst wrote:
MarshalN wrote:

Gosh! You really put him on the spot.
I'd rather not put my face up here. My HKID photo is me with beard

Sep 17th, '12, 16:14

by wh&yel-apprentice » Sep 17th, '12, 16:14

MarshalN wrote:Yeah, Changtai kinda got screwed in the bubble, and there are rumours that they are on the verge of bankruptcy. Notice nobody has talked about Changtai teas since 07
nobody you like has said positive things about Changtai since '07?

rumors r just rumors, no?

hobbes on '09:

http://half-dipper.blogspot.com/2011/01 ... zhang.html

...but hobbes maybe confused with quality levels/labeling.

http://puerhcollection.blogspot.com/200 ... chive.html
Price aside, personally I like this more than the 2009 Xiaguan Banzhang because of its purity and smoothness. The 2009 Chen Sheng Hao is weaker comparatively and may be in the same league as the other 'Zheng' pin. (2008 Chen Sheng Hao is also a very nice banzhang cake but the price is hitting US$120/cake at the tea fair)
... hitting $120/cake LOL, just 3yrs later it's hitting $500

Sep 17th, '12, 17:12

by shah82 » Sep 17th, '12, 17:12

Red Lantern Tea was selling that 2008 Chen Sheng Hao for less than $100 until late 2010 early 2011, if I recall correctly.

Ultimately, that Changtai top grade Banzhang is merely Banzhang Zhen Pin, which should tell you exactly everything you needed to know. Wee bit more honest than Chen Sheng Hao, for sure...Might even have been a reasonably good product, but the description and the context doesn't scream out to me top product.

Sep 17th, '12, 22:35

by chrl42 » Sep 17th, '12, 22:35

Changtai made money with Yiwu. Problem was Changtai didn't own any Yiwu farms but purchased the bushes from locals.

Around 07, price of Yiwu bush sky-rocketed, Changtai's heyday vice versa along with that.

Sep 17th, '12, 23:09
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Sep 17th, '12, 23:09

Just to add to the gossips, the rumor about Changtai being at the brim of bankruptcy was pretty much a fact. The company saved itself by investing to Maotai (an expensive Chinese liquor) business :mrgreen:

On top of all other problems, Changtai has been boycotted by many Chinese puerh drinkers in the past several years (just to be cynical, the boycott movement was probably promoted by some of Changtai's enemies). The cause of the boycott was improper advertising. I personally don't think Changtai had any bad intention to begin with, but I guess either their public relation department was too dumb or they were too arrogant to try to please tea drinkers. Even today, many Chinese puerh drinkers dislike Changtai just for the name, although in recent years their reputation recovered a little because some of their early 2000s yiwu products start to yield outstanding outcomes. Their new tea prices seem to "recover" much faster than their reputation, though :roll:

Sep 17th, '12, 23:11

by MarshalN » Sep 17th, '12, 23:11

gingkoseto wrote:Just to add to the gossips, the rumor about Changtai being at the brim of bankruptcy was pretty much a fact. The company saved itself by investing to Maotai (an expensive Chinese liquor) business :mrgreen:

On top of all other problems, Changtai has been boycotted by many Chinese puerh drinkers in the past several years (just to be cynical, the boycott movement was probably promoted by some of Changtai's enemies). The cause of the boycott was improper advertising. I personally don't think Changtai had any bad intention to begin with, but I guess either their public relation department was too dumb or they were too arrogant to try to please tea drinkers. Even today, many Chinese puerh drinkers dislike Changtai just for the name, although in recent years their reputation recovered a little because some of their early 2000s yiwu products start to yield outstanding outcomes. Their new tea prices seem to "recover" much faster than their reputation, though :roll:
Tried a few of those early Yichang hao - not the 99, which have never been cheap, but the 01s. They're not too bad, but honestly, nothing to write home about. There are better teas out there for less money.

Sep 17th, '12, 23:26
Vendor Member

by TwoDog2 » Sep 17th, '12, 23:26

apache wrote:
MarshalN wrote:Changtai in 2007.... that scene is no more
This can be a very stupid question, why? Were there some major changes with Changtai? or due to burst of pu bubble in 2007?

I recently had a 2007 Changtai Jingmai that was wet stored, was pretty solid tea - decent price/quality ratio. Nothing spectacular, but also won't break the bank.

Most of their good stuff is earlier 2000's though, imo

Oct 2nd, '12, 03:20

by 135F2 » Oct 2nd, '12, 03:20

apache wrote:I always have a fascination of what are their faces behind the pseudonyms and names on the wrappers of cakes. Here are some of them:

http://www.petea.net/tealm/fhinfo/fhnews/4345.html

So who knows, if one day I bump into some of them in tea exhibitions, I should know who they are.

I hope I don't get sued by any of them of infringing their privacy ....
I believe the man in the center in the 4th photo is Chen Zhitong, the owner/teamaker of Chenguang Hetang. He is also found here (3rd photo), among other pu'er tea figures. http://www.the-leaf.org/Authors.html

+ Post Reply