Tea for a Party

For general/other topics related to tea.

Sep 29th, '12, 01:17

Tea for a Party

by Kathy Marie » Sep 29th, '12, 01:17

Hello All,

I'm hoping this is the correct forum for this topic. I'm having a party where I'm expecting about 35 people to attend. It occurred to me that it would be nice to introduce them to some *good* tea along with the de riguer coffee. We are having a chocolate caramel walnut tart, a chocolate torte and a cherry almond tart, plus maybe our house favorite orange dessert if I have the time.

It's a lot of chocolate, I know. I've attached some pictures but don't have one of the Queen of Sheba torte. Can someone suggest a tea or teas that might work here? How should I brew them? Put them in a thermos or air pot or something?

I'd like to share what's been giving me so much enjoyment. After all, your guests deserve your best--I just don't want to put out a selection of tea bags after my consciousness has been raised!

Thanks for the wonderful problem,

Kathy Marie
Attachments
CherryAlmondTart.jpg
The first Cherry Almond Tart I made, which is also the first tart I ever made
CherryAlmondTart.jpg (57.81 KiB) Viewed 2045 times
Tart4Kim.jpg
I made this for my friend Kim, that's supposed to be a "K"
Tart4Kim.jpg (57.48 KiB) Viewed 2045 times

Sep 29th, '12, 04:03

Tea for a Party

by debunix » Sep 29th, '12, 04:03

With chocolate, I particularly enjoy a nice white Bai Mu Dan or another fruity, floral white tea. There is the problem that it deteriorates rapidly after brewing, though--not sure how that will work for a party. But it is delicate enough to be utterly inoffensive and even people who "don't like tea" enjoy a sniff and a sip.

Sep 29th, '12, 08:30

Re: Tea for a Party

by dzrogers » Sep 29th, '12, 08:30

I'm a fan of spicy teas with chocolate, so I'd probably go dark. For flavored, I'd go with a chai. For unflavored, I'd go with a Chinese Keemun. Whatever, you choose, I don't think your guests will really be able to taste it because their palates will be coated with fatty chocolate and its aftertaste.

As for serving, your best bet is the resturant approach ie a very large pot with tea brewed as needed and placed atop a tea warmer in the interim.

Sep 29th, '12, 08:57

by debunix » Sep 29th, '12, 08:57

I would not choose a Keemun as the sole offering, because some of your guests will not be able to tolerate the bitterness--like those of us bitterphobes who still can't drink most black teas.

By smell, I would agree that it ought also to be a great combination.

Sep 29th, '12, 15:12

by dzrogers » Sep 29th, '12, 15:12

You know, Keemun's bitterness doesn't phase me, but that's probably because I grew up on Lipton's. Anything is more tolerable than Lipton's. :shock:

Also, since this tea will be served with chocolate anyway, you could always go with a more English preparation (milk and sugar). *runs away dodging tea snob sandals* LOL

Sep 29th, '12, 22:37

by entropyembrace » Sep 29th, '12, 22:37

2nd Flush Darjeeling goes great with sweets, I find. Also, it has the advantage of brewing properly western style...so you can brew up a lot of it and keep it in an airpot and it shouldn´t be degraded...just make sure you preheat everything and use really hot water to brew!

a shame the coffee isn´t going to be good too... :(

Oct 4th, '12, 20:38

by Kathy Marie » Oct 4th, '12, 20:38

Hello, all--

Please accept my apologies for the late response. I'd never done a party this size and way before and it was *work!* Our oven was on for almost 7 hours straight and I basically collapsed afterwards.

And also, since it was my first time, I made a planning error: the party was held at our local church and I *assumed* use of the room included the attached kitchenette.

Lesson: Don't assume.

The kitchenette was not available, I was not prepared for that and so there were no hot beverages at all, neither tea nor coffee. And both were going to be *Good* darnit! :-(

But it wasn't a total loss. The chocolate caramel walnut tart was almost instantly devoured, the cherry tart followed soon after and the Queen of Sheba torte was least favored, I actually had a small chunk to take home! Also, I was showered with compliments. ;)

There was conversation, laughter and general hilarity, so much so I was told the church director popped in, saying "Wow, sounds like you all are having a good time!" (I hope he got some tart!) And as this was an anniversary party, I think I received the Ultimate Compliment:

"We're doing this again next year, right Kathy?? For five?"

Thanks SO MUCH for all your help and I won't blow it next year, I PROMISE!

A very tired, happy (& human) Kathy Marie
PS What can I do with all this Darjeeling, does it freeze?? Because the menu will be the same, minus the Queen of Sheba torte. TIA! KM
Attachments
PartyTart.jpg
Mine never turn out like the magazine pictures! This was finished first--I have no other pictures to share because I was pressed for time.
PartyTart.jpg (83.57 KiB) Viewed 1813 times

Oct 5th, '12, 00:11

by entropyembrace » Oct 5th, '12, 00:11

Kathy Marie wrote: PS What can I do with all this Darjeeling, does it freeze??
If you want frozen tea, sure :)

Oct 5th, '12, 14:29

by Kathy Marie » Oct 5th, '12, 14:29

:lol: Good one, entropyembrace!!

I guess I'm going to be drinking Darjeeling for quite a while now, ah well I didn't buy a pound at least! :wink:

+ Post Reply