Help a newbie out! :)

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Oct 1st, '12, 02:38

Re: Help a newbie out! :)

by wyardley » Oct 1st, '12, 02:38

YSLLC's samples are 25g, so if we're talking about stuff they stock, that should be more than enough to get a sense of a tea over several sessions, even if you brew with a heavy hand (for example, if you use ~ 6g each time, you should be able to brew it at least 4 times). I have to agree about not buying cakes as samples - sometimes it seems like "well, it's cheap enough, so why not", but you don't want to end up with a whole lot of tea you don't like.

I would also really suggest tracking down some small samples of well aged raw pu'er with varying storage conditions. Unfortunately, there are not many trustworthy vendors selling this stuff.

Oct 1st, '12, 06:36

by TeaGinner » Oct 1st, '12, 06:36

Wow! Thank you all for posting and giving me advice. I wasn't expecting such a large amount of members here to be this nice in helping me out!

Thanks everyone! If anyone else has any good teas let me know. :)

It seems YunnanSourcing is pretty popular here. I'll check out their US site as shipping is near $20 on their chinese site.

Oct 1st, '12, 06:44

by MarshalN » Oct 1st, '12, 06:44

wyardley wrote: I would also really suggest tracking down some small samples of well aged raw pu'er with varying storage conditions. Unfortunately, there are not many trustworthy vendors selling this stuff.
I think you owe him a few pointers of where to find such things

Oct 1st, '12, 08:18

by sherubtse » Oct 1st, '12, 08:18

TeaGinner wrote:Wow! Thank you all for posting and giving me advice. I wasn't expecting such a large amount of members here to be this nice in helping me out!

Thanks everyone! If anyone else has any good teas let me know. :)

It seems YunnanSourcing is pretty popular here. I'll check out their US site as shipping is near $20 on their chinese site.
I see YS has a sale on for the next few days - 10% off, if you enter the code "sale10" at checkout.

Best wishes,
sherubtse

Oct 1st, '12, 08:30

by apache » Oct 1st, '12, 08:30

MarshalN wrote:
wyardley wrote: I would also really suggest tracking down some small samples of well aged raw pu'er with varying storage conditions. Unfortunately, there are not many trustworthy vendors selling this stuff.
I think you owe him a few pointers of where to find such things
This is a 64 million dollar question. 8)

Oct 1st, '12, 16:20

Help a newbie out! :)

by debunix » Oct 1st, '12, 16:20

I have really enjoyed going back to my first perhaps cake as my palate has evolved, and I'm glad that I had that to keep calibrating my palate to the new teas I was mostly sampling.

Now I still enjoy samples, because I've got only so much room in the tea cabinet, and a few too many whole cakes.

+ Post Reply