Bored by Baozhong?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Oct 2nd, '12, 22:29

Re: Bored by Baozhong?

by rhythmaning » Oct 2nd, '12, 22:29

teaisme wrote:subtle?

I've never really thought of boazhong as that. Usually its a pretty full frontal buttery floral assault with hints of fruit and forest for me.

"lightly flavoured hot water"...
"I DO get the floral and fruity nose that I've read about, but..."

in some of my experiences muted taste but strong aroma is indication that water may not be ideal, even with 3-4g of a good baozhong in 250ml and a one minute steep, you should be getting more then what you have described if water and tea are good
Thank you for the response. Do you mean the water TEMP?

Oct 3rd, '12, 11:56

by Cole » Oct 3rd, '12, 11:56

Teaisme -- what are your brewing parameters for Baozhong? I think I'm a little light on the leaf when I brew this kind of tea; particularly because the leaf is so light and fluffy. I kind of like the subtle taste that comes from a few leaves in my cup brewed "grandpa style," but I just weighed out 4g in my gaiwan and whoa is it buttery and floral! It's also a lot more leaf than my usual method of covering the bottom of the gaiwan.

I love this tea :D Such a pleasure to drink.

Oct 3rd, '12, 14:16

by teaisme » Oct 3rd, '12, 14:16

rhythmaning wrote: Do you mean the water TEMP?
No I mean the water quality. Heavily treated tap water does this all the time in my location.
Cole wrote:It's also a lot more leaf than my usual method of covering the bottom of the gaiwan.
4/g in a small gaiwan seems a fine place to start. Up the amount if you feel like it would help.

Oct 4th, '12, 17:36

by rhythmaning » Oct 4th, '12, 17:36

teaisme wrote:
rhythmaning wrote: Do you mean the water TEMP?
No I mean the water quality. Heavily treated tap water does this all the time in my location.
Cole wrote:It's also a lot more leaf than my usual method of covering the bottom of the gaiwan.
4/g in a small gaiwan seems a fine place to start. Up the amount if you feel like it would help.
Gottcha. Thanks much, I'll give it a shot!

Jan 12th, '13, 20:39

by thanks » Jan 12th, '13, 20:39

I love the way this tea ages, but it has suffered from the popularity of super lightly oxidized green floral oolongs in my opinion. I am really not a fan of most very green oolongs anymore, but baozhong is still my favorite of the lightly oxidized oolongs. Try some wuyi yancha oolong for an interesting contrast. You'll question them being in the same genre of tea (oolong.)

+ Post Reply