Standalone, Affordable Puerh Storage?

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Oct 3rd, '12, 14:02

Re: Standalone, Affordable Puerh Storage?

by theredbaron » Oct 3rd, '12, 14:02

Tead Off wrote:
theredbaron wrote:[quote="Tead
The amount of air circulation will have something to do with how stagnant and humid a room will be. The room I keep my cakes in has vents that allow the outside air to penetrate the room. Direct sunlight never touches the walls or door so the room doesn't heat up as a closed off room would. I'm sure not all locations within a given climate will be either ideal or terrible. Maybe I've just been lucky. Like others have said, the way the tea is processed will also affect how it ages. Many, many, variables involved.
True.
We can be lucky, in many ways, about our climate here. As long as we keep the humidity at bay, it is an almost ideal climate for quick aging of Pu Erh. A year ago i compared the same ten year old tea with friends who stored theirs in Malaysia, and mine was quicker aged without being stuffy of too wet storage. I don't know why this is so, my personal guess is that we have also a short period of cooler and drier climate, in which the tea can rest, while KL is quite similar all year around.

Bangkok has lots of different micro climates. A few hundred meters in the Soi, closed to the river, on a high rise, or on even ground, or in the middle of Sukhumvit - all different climates. 17 years ago i have lived in the Klongs of Nonthaburi, and our climate there was completely different than a few kilometers away in the city - much cooler in the cool season, more stuffy in the rainseason, much more noticable change in temperature between day and night.

Oct 3rd, '12, 15:16

by tst » Oct 3rd, '12, 15:16

If you don't mind Baron, what numbers do you have going there? What is the typical temp/humidity for June-Aug? What about Nov-Jan?

Thanks.

Oct 3rd, '12, 15:28
Scrolling: fixed

by teanovice78 » Oct 3rd, '12, 15:28

Wow, great collection Bio! I hope to collect some nice puerh's as I learn more about them. Dan

Oct 3rd, '12, 17:04

by BioHorn » Oct 3rd, '12, 17:04

teanovice78 wrote:Wow, great collection Bio! I hope to collect some nice puerh's as I learn more about them. Dan
Thanks, Dan. Best of luck. You sound motivated. You will find great resources here on TC. Members are very generous with information.

My pumidor is back to a rock solid 68% and 67 deg. Just wish I could get a few more % of reliable humidity.

Oct 3rd, '12, 18:20

by shah82 » Oct 3rd, '12, 18:20

Is your place air-conditioned, Biohorn? The area where I keep my tea isn't directly air conditioned, tho' there is some heating. Atlanta isn't that humid compared to many places (we do have a lake in the back), yet I see some pretty decent results--at least to my buds. I'm not sure that there isn't more to this aging thing beyond humidity.

Oct 3rd, '12, 19:04

by BioHorn » Oct 3rd, '12, 19:04

shah82 wrote:Is your place air-conditioned, Biohorn? The area where I keep my tea isn't directly air conditioned, tho' there is some heating. Atlanta isn't that humid compared to many places (we do have a lake in the back), yet I see some pretty decent results--at least to my buds. I'm not sure that there isn't more to this aging thing beyond humidity.
Hi Shah.
No a/c here.
In the winter the gas flame from the furnace sucks out a good deal of the humidity from the basement air. This summer was unusally dry. It was not a good indicator of how the basement should normally be. There is a dehumidifier on auto for the wetter periods. But I have found it generally has little bearing on the chests RH.

I wonder what wonders are held in the ambient HK air? Anyone there like to give their opinion? If I could send my stock to HK I would..this is surely beyond my budget.

Oct 3rd, '12, 19:37

by theredbaron » Oct 3rd, '12, 19:37

tst wrote:If you don't mind Baron, what numbers do you have going there? What is the typical temp/humidity for June-Aug? What about Nov-Jan?

Thanks.

No idea about the numbers, i measure temperature by the sweat, and humidity by the degree of wetness of books and leather goods. June to mid October is rain season, the past years at the end of the rain season major storms came through driving humidity to insane levels. November to mid February is cool season - the nicest time here, some years it gets down at night for a week or so that we even need two blankets, and it's relatively dry. Then comes the hot season, which is very very hot. Fans just blow hot air, and you are most of the time boiling in your sweat. The weeks before the rains start it can get really humid as well.

Oct 4th, '12, 05:21
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Oct 4th, '12, 05:21

If you're interested in HK weather, this is the place to go:

http://www.hko.gov.hk/contente.htm

Spring and fall tend to be cool and moist with drier air in early spring and late fall. Winter tends to be much cooler and dryer (chapsticks very necessary, for me anyway), although thanks to global warming, we don't get as much of the cold weather I remember from my childhood.

Most tea is aged in concrete industrial buildings, however, and I've walked past one of the warehouses (whew, all that tea in one place is pretty intense, even with the door closed). This keeps the humidity relatively constant and also keeps the temperature in check, although I don't think any buildings here are insulated like American homes. We have to bundle up indoors in winter.

While the temperature here rarely gets down below the low 40s, you really feel the cold here. I think this has to do with higher humidity, even in the dry season.

Oct 4th, '12, 06:26

by MarshalN » Oct 4th, '12, 06:26

jayinhk wrote:If you're interested in HK weather, this is the place to go:

http://www.hko.gov.hk/contente.htm

Spring and fall tend to be cool and moist with drier air in early spring and late fall. Winter tends to be much cooler and dryer (chapsticks very necessary, for me anyway), although thanks to global warming, we don't get as much of the cold weather I remember from my childhood.

Most tea is aged in concrete industrial buildings, however, and I've walked past one of the warehouses (whew, all that tea in one place is pretty intense, even with the door closed). This keeps the humidity relatively constant and also keeps the temperature in check, although I don't think any buildings here are insulated like American homes. We have to bundle up indoors in winter.

While the temperature here rarely gets down below the low 40s, you really feel the cold here. I think this has to do with higher humidity, even in the dry season.
Whose warehouse did you go by?

Oct 4th, '12, 10:49
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Oct 4th, '12, 10:49

I'm not sure (the door wasn't marked), but the smell was very intense! :shock:

+ Post Reply