Official Pu of the day

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Oct 8th, '12, 21:54
Vendor Member

Re: Official Pu of the day

by TwoDog2 » Oct 8th, '12, 21:54

wyardley wrote:I have some 90s xiaguan cakes (also tightly compressed) which are still fairly fresh tasting, despite having some less-than-dry storage.
When you say still fairly fresh, are you referring to a youthful taste? Or a reference to freshness as liveliness? Or a different aspect of the tea?

Oct 8th, '12, 22:57

by 135F2 » Oct 8th, '12, 22:57

Catfur wrote:Those pics don't look like 20 year old tea to me. Guess your home storage is ultra dry.
I found the 1992 XG tuocha being sold by Canton Tea Co. in the UK for BP 100. The photo of the tuo on their website seems to indicate theirs has gone through a wetter storage than mine. So much so that Jakub mentioned in his blog that it smelled and tasted like a shupu. Mine however was fragrantly plummy and a bit smokey -- very much a sheng pu.

http://www.cantonteaco.com/loose-leaf-t ... o-cha.html

http://jakubtomek.blogspot.com/2012/05/ ... uocha.html

Here is mine again in larger resolution for comparison with Canton Tea Co.'s tuo photo.

Oct 8th, '12, 23:23

by wyardley » Oct 8th, '12, 23:23

TwoDog2 wrote: When you say still fairly fresh, are you referring to a youthful taste? Or a reference to freshness as liveliness? Or a different aspect of the tea?
Yes, I mean the tea tastes less old.

Oct 9th, '12, 07:46

by HifideliTea » Oct 9th, '12, 07:46

shah82 wrote: There are Singpore dry storage 1999/2000 Dayi/Lincang Tea Factory tuos that just aren't that interesting.
Shah, do you think I should I move my haul up north across the Causeway to KL? ....not only dry storage, plus the haze from Indonesia forest fires...everything will taste smoky!
:|

Oct 9th, '12, 11:55

by shah82 » Oct 9th, '12, 11:55

Well first of all, I'm the wrong person to ask, ask another person who's been in the hobby longer in Singapore.

Second, my thinking was related to the fact that there aren't enough real variance in weather in Singapore, which would be true of Malaysia as well. But many people like this kind of storage as well.

Third, how much do you want to bet that Hong Kong has endured similar levels of aerial pollution over the years, and still turned out great cakes?

Oct 9th, '12, 13:01

by 135F2 » Oct 9th, '12, 13:01

KC Lam wrote:
shah82 wrote: There are Singpore dry storage 1999/2000 Dayi/Lincang Tea Factory tuos that just aren't that interesting.
Shah, do you think I should I move my haul up north across the Causeway to KL? ....not only dry storage, plus the haze from Indonesia forest fires...everything will taste smoky!
:|

Has something happened to KL that it is now dryer (or wetter for that matter) and farther away from Indonesia than S'pore is??? :D

Oct 9th, '12, 15:37

by trent » Oct 9th, '12, 15:37

I've been drinking young sheng for the past 3 days or so. When I'm sick with the common cold, shu and aged puerh seem to make my sore throat and congestion worse (like drinking milk or eating a bananna) whereas harsh young sheng immensely alleviates symptoms.

Does anyone have the same experience?

Oct 9th, '12, 17:38

by dzrogers » Oct 9th, '12, 17:38

trent wrote:I've been drinking young sheng for the past 3 days or so. When I'm sick with the common cold, shu and aged puerh seem to make my sore throat and congestion worse (like drinking milk or eating a bananna) whereas harsh young sheng immensely alleviates symptoms.

Does anyone have the same experience?
Yes. I'm dealing with seasonal allergy flare-ups at the moment. Shu makes symptoms worse. Young sheng and green teas seem to help. Go figure.

Oct 9th, '12, 21:25
Vendor Member

by TwoDog2 » Oct 9th, '12, 21:25

trent wrote:whereas harsh young sheng immensely alleviates symptoms.

Harsh young sheng? Is it sheng that you don't enjoy when you don't have a cold? Is is the harshness or the strength?

I usually don't drink much tea when i have a bad cold. Mainly because i get annoyed that one (or more) of my senses is so dulled. When my throat is scratchy, i go straight for Laoman'e, because it coats so heavily.

Oct 10th, '12, 16:48

by 135F2 » Oct 10th, '12, 16:48

It's a shupu kind of day to ease my queasy stomach and a slight hangover from last night's overindulgence with alcohol. It soothes my stomach nicely :)

Oct 11th, '12, 15:56

by 135F2 » Oct 11th, '12, 15:56

This 2005 6FTM Year of the Rooster bing was one of my earliest acquisitions from Yunnan Sourcing LLC. I purchased it back in 2006. As I remember, this was a bitter and astringent tea back then when I first tasted it. It's been forgotten for about 6 years now. How does it fare?

Well, it's not as bitter or astringent as I recall, but I am quite dissapointed by its lack of maturity or progress for a 7 years-old tea. Maybe my storage at home is way too dry after all for pu'er. It's still quite astringent and it gives an unsettling feeling to my stomach the way a lot of very young sheng pu'er teas do. The caffeine hit was quite strong, too. As far as chaqi goes, I couldn't feel much.

Maybe in another 7 years this rooster will fly high...high...highly doubt it.

Oct 11th, '12, 18:29
Vendor Member

by TIM » Oct 11th, '12, 18:29

This is a great example F2, since you have a good experience of this 7 years dry storage. Perhaps a wake up call for all new collectors whom been doing "Dry" storage for 1 or 2 years and hoping for a miracle.

Oct 11th, '12, 19:21

by 135F2 » Oct 11th, '12, 19:21

TIM wrote:This is a great example F2, since you have a good experience of this 7 years dry storage. Perhaps a wake up call for all new collectors whom been doing "Dry" storage for 1 or 2 years and hoping for a miracle.
Right! Look how greenish the wet leaves still are after all these years. Everyone should learn from my 7-years mistake :cry:

Oct 11th, '12, 21:32

by MarshalN » Oct 11th, '12, 21:32

135F2 wrote:
TIM wrote:This is a great example F2, since you have a good experience of this 7 years dry storage. Perhaps a wake up call for all new collectors whom been doing "Dry" storage for 1 or 2 years and hoping for a miracle.
Right! Look how greenish the wet leaves still are after all these years. Everyone should learn from my 7-years mistake :cry:
One thing I know when looking at your pics is that they're properly white balanced :)

Oct 11th, '12, 23:27

by 135F2 » Oct 11th, '12, 23:27

MarshalN wrote:
135F2 wrote:
One thing I know when looking at your pics is that they're properly white balanced :)
I hope at least some people will find the photos useful as visual references. Colors do speak volume about the tea, I assume?

+ Post Reply