OTTI 16 Thes du Japon, "French Sencha"

"Official Tea Tasting Initiative" Teas shared & discussed.

Re: OTTI 16 Thes du Japon, "French Sencha"

Postby Chip » Oct 10th, '12, 15:21

Welcome to OTTI 16 Thes du Japon which features 5 very divergent and different offerings. OTTI 16 is a D.O.VE. OTTI Round. "DEDICATED to ONE VENDOR"

TeaChat member Flonihoncha (Florent) is a partner of Thes du Japan!

You can check out their site and French and English version blogs at the links below.
http://www.thes-du-japon.com/

http://sommelier-the-japonais.blogspot.com/

http://japaneseteasommelier.wordpress.com/

Each participant will receive 10 grams of each selection (see below), 50 grams total. If you have already ordered one or more of these sencha, please let me know, and I will see what we can work out, such as subbing with another selection from my personal purchase from this vendor.

In the past I was able to allow members to double up (I refer to this as "2X") and receive 20 grams per selection. I should be able to do the same this time around. Please see the ordering information in the next post. However, I will give everyone the opportunity to participate first. However if you want 2X, remember to say so on your order.

Expect a pretty speedy turnaround on this one as all the teas, pouches, packaging are already here. As of this writing, the tea is still sealed and in the TeaFridge, but we will be weighing and placing the teas in pouches shortly.

The 5 "sencha" selections are as follows:

http://www.thes-du-japon.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=71
Type of tea: Fukamushi sencha (deep-steamed sencha)
Origin: Kagoshima Prefecture, Kirishima City, Makizono-cho
Cultivar: Saemidori
Harvest: First spring harvest, April 23, 2012 (ichiban cha), hand picked
*this is the only Fukamushi of the 5. It will be interesting to compare this SM to others!

http://www.thes-du-japon.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=119
Type of tea: Futsumushi sencha (normal steamed sencha)
Origin: Miyakonojô Town, Miyazaki Prefecture
Cultivar: Oku-midori
Harvest: First spring harvest, May 2012 (ichiban cha)
*Oku Midori cultivar is developing a following. Let's see what it is all about!

http://www.thes-du-japon.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=122
Type of tea: Futsumushi sencha (normal-steamed sencha)
Origin: Yokosawa, Tamakawa area, Aoi Ward, Shizuoka City, Shizuoka Prefecture
Cultivar: Yabukita
Harvest: End of May 2012 (first spring harvest, ichiban cha)
*from mountainous Honyama region

http://www.thes-du-japon.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=11
Type of tea: “Micro-fermented” sencha
Origin: Iruma City, Saitama Prefecture
Cultivar: Sayama-kaori
Harvest: First spring harvest 2012 (ichiban-cha)
*I purchased the other version of micro-fermented sencha. Very different and unique!

http://www.thes-du-japon.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=120
Type of tea: Kama-iri cha
Origin: Gokase Town, Miyazaki Prefecture
Cultivar: Yabukita
Harvest: First spring harvest, May 2012 (ichiban cha)
*For Kamairicha fans and novices alike!

I hope you can join us for this Sencha OTTI round and support Flonihoncha at the same time! For most of us this will be our first exposure to Thes du Japon. It should be exciting and ... tasty!

See the next post for info on how to participate.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Chip » Oct 10th, '12, 15:23

For general info on how the OTTIs run, please see this topic: http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=16242 The biggest change is if you are interested in participating in this OTTI round, I am asking that you email me on or after 6 pm Eastern USA time today, Wednesday October 10, 2012 at teachatmoderator@yahoo.com ... SUBJECT: OTTI 16.

If you email me from your paypal email, that will simplify things, but it is not necessary!

"Dedicated to one vendor" OTTI rounds will be a bit higher in cost, but I feel a great deal anyway. Where else are you going to try 5 (five) premium and divergent selections from Thes du Japon for a couple bucks each? Of course, packaging and shipping costs are included in the costs below based on destination.

Total Cost in USD (shipping is included):

USA $10
Canada/North America $11
Europe/South America $12
Asia/Australia/Africa $13
Other please inquire (I guess that leaves penguins of Antartica and for any extraterrestrials out there wanting to participate)

If you want to 2X this OTTI round and receive 20 grams per tea, 100 grams total, please simply double the amount above and subract 1 USD. For instance, USA would be 20 - 1 = 19 USD.

These costs are just that, costs. There is a cushion of around 1 USD per participant after estimated expenses to cover any "surprises" in shipping, etc. This is really tight, but OTTI is NOT a for profit program. It is to benefit those of us who want to sample great teas ... and it benefits vendors by promoting their offerings.

Any surplus $$$ will roll over into the OTTI fund. Surplus at the end of the 2012 will go towards charity, possibly the TC Japan Relief Fund which has raised over $1300 for this effort.

Email your interest to teachatmoderator@yahoo.com including your:

TeaChat User Name
Your name
Mailing address formatted exactly as it would appear on a package or letter addressed to you.
Country
If outside of USA, your phone number is recommended for customs forms/packages!
Paypal email address

Next post will cover "Blind Key"
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Chip » Oct 10th, '12, 15:28

This post will be edited to include the Blind Key for this round. However, be forwarned. Members will be discussing teas by name in this topic!

If you want to conduct your tastings completely blind, then do not read this topic.

One problem, the brewing directions are by name only.

Next post, Brewing Suggestions

The KEY is as follows.

H is the Honyama selection
O is for Oku Midori
S is Sae Midori
K is Kamairicha
M is Micro-fermented. Follow the links in the post above for more information about the tea.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Chip » Oct 10th, '12, 15:32

You can view Thes du Japon's brewing suggestions by following the links (first post) above to the specific teas. You will notice that they suggest a HIGH ratio, greater than 1 gram : 1 ounce (30 ml).

I found that I prefered the more moderate 1:1 ratio, but this is subjective. Remember, you have 10 grams of each tea, so I would recommend at least two sessions so you can play around a bit. (Oku Midori has 9.5 grams ... not sure why I was a tad short on this one)

I did brew the Oku Midori at a higher ratio and liked it this way!

PAY VERY CLOSE ATTENTION TO THE TIME SUGGESTIONS FOR THE MICRO-FERMENTED or you will have an unpleasant experience, it can be made bitter very easily. This tea requires very short brew times, and I prefered 1:1 versus the higher ratio recommended.

For all the teas, I liked 158* in a preheated pot. Oku I also liked cooler ... same with the Micro-fermented. Sae Midori can be brewed at various temps with satisfactory results.

Kamairicha ... I have yet to figure this one out. I am keeping an open mind, but Kamairicha is usually not my cuppa. I prefer its all steamed cousin, Guricha. I am open to suggestions on this one!!!
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Chip » Oct 10th, '12, 15:34

OTTI Rating guide will be posted here.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Chip » Oct 10th, '12, 17:57

T minus 3 minutes til OTTI 16 goes LIVE!!!
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby teaisme » Oct 10th, '12, 18:01

ooooooo
teaisme

Postby Chip » Oct 10th, '12, 18:15

Ohhhhh ... BTW,
we are live from TeaChat with OTTI 16.

And crowds are gathering, clamoring for a spot in OTTI 16. This could get out of control in a hurry!!!
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Chip » Oct 10th, '12, 18:20

... word from the trading floor has indictated very high demand for "2X" ...
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Remick » Oct 10th, '12, 18:20

Chip wrote:

And crowds are gathering, clamoring for a spot in OTTI 16. This could get out of control in a hurry!!!

...reports of scalping have yet to be independently confirmed, but rumors abound.
Remick

Postby Chip » Oct 10th, '12, 18:26

Remick wrote:
Chip wrote:

...reports of scalping have yet to be independently confirmed, but rumors abound.

... this despite OTTI scalping being illegal.

Fortunately, options purchasing has locked in this incredibly low cost to members of TeaChat ... despite the temptation to price gouge, the price has not budged!!!
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Remick » Oct 10th, '12, 18:44

Chip wrote:
Remick wrote:
Chip wrote:

... this despite OTTI scalping being illegal.

Fortunately, options purchasing has locked in this incredibly low cost to members of TeaChat ... despite the temptation to price gouge, the price has not budged!!!

:Live from the chaos:

R- "While the immediate swell of requests nearly taxed the system, an overworked Mod has managed to maintain composure. I can confirm at least one account of a member's heart skipping a beat at the thought of missing out but a glass of water and a paper bag were quickly deployed to the scene. At last word, the member was doing well but still concerned. We are waiting for an official statement from the overworked Mod."
Last edited by Remick on Oct 10th, '12, 18:46, edited 1 time in total.
Remick

Postby dzrogers » Oct 10th, '12, 18:45

So excited! :D
dzrogers

Postby Chip » Oct 10th, '12, 19:37

:mrgreen:

Merci beaucoup, ThesCamarades!

There is still room at the French TeaTable. Sooooo, please email your participation along with the requested information to teachatmoderator@yahoo.com

BTW, these teas are shipped direct from Japan, not France.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Chip » Oct 10th, '12, 20:20

OK, so far everyone survived the "rush to the gate!" :mrgreen: There is still room!!!

As of this posting, if I received your participation email, I have replied with a confirmation and payment information.

Please check your emails to make sure you received my reply. If you did not, notify me immediately. Possibly I did not receive your participation email or my reply did not make it back to you.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Next

Instant Messenger

Permissions