Greeting from Nova Scotia, Canada

Please introduce yourself here to our membership

Dec 27th, '07, 23:26
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » Dec 27th, '07, 23:26

I always order SAL, it's cheapest, and takes anywhere from two to eight weeks, usually about three. The only drawback is that you have to either be home to sign for it or else go down to the PO to pick it up and sign.

Dec 27th, '07, 23:33

by joelbct » Dec 27th, '07, 23:33

Thanks. For some reason, looks like Dragon Tea House charges just 11.00 for the airmail, so will probably go with that.

Do you have any other recommendations on Greens from that site? An Ji Bai Pian looks good...

Dec 27th, '07, 23:45

by Salsero » Dec 27th, '07, 23:45

I think TeaSpring is generally better known for greens. (Chip mentioned them earlier in this thread.)

http://www.teaspring.com/Xi-Hu-Long-Jing.asp

Gordon at Dragon Tea House seems to have gotten a rep lately as more of a puerh shop where you might through a green or oolong in the basket as long as you're there.

Dec 28th, '07, 00:18

by joelbct » Dec 28th, '07, 00:18

I will check out teaspring as well.

Just ordered from Dragon House:

Premium 'An Ji Bai Pian' White Slice 2007 100g 3.5oz
Supreme Zhu Ye Qing * Green Bamboo Leaf 2007 100g 3.5oz
Superfine Long Jing Dragon Well Chinese 2007 100g 3.5oz

Will post results when the package arrives. Ah I am spending too much money lately :) At least fine tea is a worthy pursuit.
Last edited by joelbct on Dec 28th, '07, 00:22, edited 1 time in total.

Dec 28th, '07, 00:20

by Salsero » Dec 28th, '07, 00:20

I look forward to hearing your thoughts. I have only tried the one, and that was a while back.

Dec 28th, '07, 23:05

by spring_teas » Dec 28th, '07, 23:05

Chip wrote:I usually brewed Zhu Ye Qing in a glass cup so I could also enjoy the dancing leaves, this is one of the best dancing tea leaf teas.
Chip, that's exactly how to enjoy Zhu Ye Qing. Watching the leaves floating (dancing) up and down in the glass cup while brewing. I wish I can post a video to show this process. When they all drop to the bottom of the cup. It is the time to enjoy a cup of spring dew from the Mount Emei. There is something you will notice if you have had the authentic Zhu Ye Qing, which is the refreshing aroma spreads out a few minutes later. So don't be surprised if you did not smell anything in the very beginning of brewing. lol

When brewing, I prefer to drop the leaves into the hot water(80-100ºc) in the cup.

Dec 28th, '07, 23:08

by spring_teas » Dec 28th, '07, 23:08

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone.

Dec 28th, '07, 23:43

by spring_teas » Dec 28th, '07, 23:43

[quote="Salsero"]Chip,
Thanks for the spelling correction. No wonder I couldn't find it on Babelcarp
http://www.panix.com/~perin/babelcarp.c ... hu+ye+qing. Asparagus is also mentioned in my tasting notes from a few months back.

spring_teas,
Thanks for the additional detail about where it comes from. It helps bring the tea alive for me. Mount Emei alone doesn't mean anything to me. Have you ever been there?

lol, Salsero, I like your description of Zhu Ye Qing taste like" Asparagus". The reason why is due to the Wok temperature when tea leaves are fried. The tea masters want to maintain the vivid green colour so that they do not heat the wok too warm. Personally, I love this "grassy" taste. There are three classes of Zhu Ye Qing: Tao, Tranquillity, Taste. Tao is the highest grade which I did not have the privilege to taste. Maybe one day I will. And this is the interesting part about tea. There is always a higher level that you want to reach.

Fortunately, I travel to China several times a year. I have been to some major tea gardens, Emei, for example. It is one of the Holy mountain for chinsese buddhists. There is no pesticide used in the Zhu Ye Qing garden since not that many bugs would like to reside 1000m above the Sea level. It is cold out there even in the Summer. So you are guareented Zhu Ye Qing is organic. :)

Dec 29th, '07, 00:04

by spring_teas » Dec 29th, '07, 00:04

joelbct wrote:I will check out teaspring as well.

Just ordered from Dragon House:

Premium 'An Ji Bai Pian' White Slice 2007 100g 3.5oz
Supreme Zhu Ye Qing * Green Bamboo Leaf 2007 100g 3.5oz
Superfine Long Jing Dragon Well Chinese 2007 100g 3.5oz

Will post results when the package arrives. Ah I am spending too much money lately :) At least fine tea is a worthy pursuit.
Joel. Please keep us posted. I agree, fine tea is always I passionate about. But it is so hard to find them. For example, Long Jing, as far as I know, there are only 20,000 pounds of Long Jing produced each year. The premium quality leaves are even less. So there are significant amount of fake "long jing" on the market. So tea lovers, be aware when you purchase your long jing. It may not be what it should be. I will post some pictures to show the different grades of Long Jing when they are ready. FYI: reasonable price for Long Jing should be between $4-20/ounce, depending on the grade.
Hope this information helps.

Dec 30th, '07, 23:42

by joelbct » Dec 30th, '07, 23:42

Thank you Salsero and Chip for the tip on teaspring.com. Yes, some of their greens look excellent, and their Keemun Hao Yao A looks like what I've been searching for...

As of now, I have orders coming in from sevencups.com, Dragon House Tea on Ebay, and some sencha and matcha from O-Cha.com. I will post reviews when I receive and taste the tea's, which I am very much looking forward to!

-Joel

Dec 30th, '07, 23:56

by Space Samurai » Dec 30th, '07, 23:56

which mathca did you get?

Dec 31st, '07, 18:02

by joelbct » Dec 31st, '07, 18:02

I bought the Organic Matcha Kaoru Supreme, 22.95 for 30 grams. Believe it or not, I have been drinking Sencha for a while now, but this is my FIRST matcha! I am kind of excited :) Maybe next time I will try one of their pricier varieties, like the Uji Matcha "Kiri no Mori," but $60 for 30 grams of tea?? That is like $1000 a pound! I think the priciest tea I have ever bought was $40 an ounce... $640 a pound... So I guess it is not a huge leap.

Here is the Kaoru description:

"Kaoru means "fragrant" in Japanese. We carry two grades of organic matcha, and although this is the second of of the two, the quality is nonetheless excellent. From Shimoyama, located in Japan's Aichi prefecture, this tea is grown at an elevation of 640-660 meters. Grown with only natural organic fertilizers and no agricultural chemicals, it adheres to Japan's JONA (Japan Organic & Natural Foods Association) certification requirements, and also carries the USDA & European IMO seals (certificates on file.) Try some today! Net weight 30gm, this product makes approximately 24 servings per can."

+ Post Reply