Chicago Tea Garden's Golden Bi Luo

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Aug 22nd, '12, 13:47

Chicago Tea Garden's Golden Bi Luo

by ThaddeusThyme » Aug 22nd, '12, 13:47

Does anyone know where one might find a suitable replacement for Chicago Tea Garden's superb Golden Bi Luo tea?

I've, far too quickly, burned through my last container since the unfortunate demise of CTG.

Thanks!

Oct 16th, '12, 11:55

Re: Chicago Tea Garden's Golden Bi Luo

by jcov » Oct 16th, '12, 11:55

Yep, just call David Hoffman. Or go to thephoenixcollecion.com. This is were he sourced most of his tea from. So it wouldn't surprise me David has it. Same for the Golden Monkey and some Puerhs.

Good Luck,

PS (no online ordering yet, but they are really nice and attentive over the phone).

Oct 16th, '12, 13:15

by Poohblah » Oct 16th, '12, 13:15

jcov wrote:Yep, just call David Hoffman. Or go to thephoenixcollecion.com. This is were he sourced most of his tea from. So it wouldn't surprise me David has it. Same for the Golden Monkey and some Puerhs.

Good Luck,

PS (no online ordering yet, but they are really nice and attentive over the phone).
You're really going to suggest DLH as a vendor? http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=17488 Politics aside, there are other, more highly regarded vendors available, and BLC is one of the most popular green teas on the planet, so I'm sure you can find something better from somewhere else.

Oct 17th, '12, 10:30

by MacGuffin » Oct 17th, '12, 10:30

Check Seven Cups; their Dian Hong Jin Ya is on sale this month and it's also from Yunnan. Call them and ask Samantha or Andrew (or Austin) how this compares to GBLC; they might have an idea and regardless will offer an honest opinion. And if you order, be sure to join the Tea Club; it's free.

Oct 17th, '12, 16:07

by jcov » Oct 17th, '12, 16:07

Poohblah,

I trust DLH. But I'm not here to advocate for him or do otherwise. If you are going to basically try to debunk anyone's opinion or recomendation based on yours; then by that rule, others would do the same. The only reason I mentioned DLH is because I KNOW that chicagoteagarden sourced a lot of their teas from him, nothing else.

In fact, back when the page was up you could see were most of the teas were being sourced.

Best regards,

JC

Oct 17th, '12, 17:36
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Oct 17th, '12, 17:36

Poohblah wrote:
jcov wrote:Yep, just call David Hoffman. Or go to thephoenixcollecion.com. This is were he sourced most of his tea from. So it wouldn't surprise me David has it. Same for the Golden Monkey and some Puerhs.

Good Luck,

You're really going to suggest DLH as a vendor? http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=17488 Politics aside, there are other, more highly regarded vendors available, and BLC is one of the most popular green teas on the planet, so I'm sure you can find something better from somewhere else.
I didn't see this above thread about DLH but responded to another teachat thread and a few other online discussions and twitter chats about this issue. Tea business aside (I've never had his tea), I personally think what DLH did on his house project deserves a "bravo!"

In my eyes, it's nothing negative about him. He built an environmentally friendly house that was not completely covered by local government regulations. Then decades later, the local government, instead of working on developing regulations that guides and encourages environmental friendly projects, simply announced his house was illegal. I don't think it's his fault and I know I'm not the only one who thinks so.

Oct 17th, '12, 17:54

by jcov » Oct 17th, '12, 17:54

Poohblah wrote:

Good Luck,

BTW, The original question is talking about Golden Bi Luo Chun, a black tea. I don't know why people waste energy spreading hate for others I'm simply replying a question with the truth and well. Thanks Ginko, I really agree with you with the house/laws issues. Unfortunately, people who do things to cause change (even if well intended) get burned for it.

Lets just enjoy some tea!

Oct 17th, '12, 18:17
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Oct 17th, '12, 18:17

[quote="jcov"][/quote]
I just discovered the other discussion from this thread and I was a bit... shocked... on some comments there :shock:
But I don't think Poohblah meant to spread anything negative. After reading the other discussion, I think his comment there is one of those that are objective and without audacious judgments... I think it's ok that people think differently, and I wouldn't be surprised that a man with strong characters is not liked by everybody. But I would rather stay within happy gossips and not make too negative judgments on people I don't thoroughly know.

Besides, I always think California is full of paradox and irony...

Oct 17th, '12, 18:33

by jcov » Oct 17th, '12, 18:33

Agreed,

I'm not defending them AT ALL. But I guess that if someone posts overly opinionated information that reflect negatively about someone. A few people WILL just believe it instead of checking it out by themselves.

I just hope people would be more willing to give the benefit of the doubt and get better informed before aggressively countering post about someone or something.

Oct 17th, '12, 19:07

by Poohblah » Oct 17th, '12, 19:07

jcov wrote: BTW, The original question is talking about Golden Bi Luo Chun, a black tea. I don't know why people waste energy spreading hate for others I'm simply replying a question with the truth and well. Thanks Ginko, I really agree with you with the house/laws issues. Unfortunately, people who do things to cause change (even if well intended) get burned for it.

Lets just enjoy some tea!
OK, thanks. I was a bit short sighted and did not realize that the tea in question was a hongcha version of BLC. I'm sorry. I thought you had recommended DLH as a vendor of BLC, which seems like a silly recommendation to make.

Oct 17th, '12, 21:27

by MacGuffin » Oct 17th, '12, 21:27

Poohblah wrote:
jcov wrote: BTW, The original question is talking about Golden Bi Luo Chun, a black tea.
I was a bit short sighted and did not realize that the tea in question was a hongcha version of BLC. I'm sorry.
Don't feel bad. I made a similar mistake, posted it, realized a black tea was under discussion and then corrected it (same vendor, different recommendation). Nobody's perfect. :)

Oct 18th, '12, 09:57

by jcov » Oct 18th, '12, 09:57

Honest mistakes. I've done it. It is common to see 'Bi Luo' and mentally finish 'Chun'. And for some reason the brain ignores the preceding words.

And yep. I've bought from Seven Cups, good stuff. Just don't debunk one vendor or another just based on rumors. I've seen incredible rumors from other vendors and once I try the tea it seems more like someone is either intimidated by someones presence in the market or just that 'I know more than X' ego thing.

Just buy the tea from different people and the one you like the most, will be your 'vendor'. That's what I do.

Oct 18th, '12, 19:58

by MacGuffin » Oct 18th, '12, 19:58

jcov wrote:Just buy the tea from different people and the one you like the most, will be your 'vendor'. That's what I do.
That has been my M.O. from the get-go and it works well for me, too. I'm always open to new ones but the ones I return to over and over and recommend to others are those whose service and quality is consistent. For new vendors, I try to find recommendations from others but sometimes you just have to go with your gut and hope for the best.

+ Post Reply