Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Oct 21st, '12, 13:24

Re: Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

by 135F2 » Oct 21st, '12, 13:24

Supermarket genmai-cha. Maeda-En. Very nice!

Oct 22nd, '12, 04:50
Scrolling: scrolling

by Stentor » Oct 22nd, '12, 04:50

Look what I found in the bottom drawer of the fridge :D
O-Cha.com Organic Kirishima Sencha Gold (2011 harvest)
(Sorry, photo got a little blurred by compression.)

OK, I didn't exactly "find" it. I had kept it there for about a year.
It's still fresh and as lovely as ever!
Still among my all-time favorites.

Oct 23rd, '12, 02:17

by chingwa » Oct 23rd, '12, 02:17

Shouju cultivar from Tanegashima/Kagoshima-ken
via Thés du Japon

mmmmh... :)

Oct 23rd, '12, 15:37

by JRS22 » Oct 23rd, '12, 15:37

I began my day with Tai Ping Hou Kui from Seven Cups. The picking standard was slightly different this year, and the tea is even more delicious than I recall.
2012’s Taiping Houkui marks a change in style from years past. This year, two shoots of young leaves are pressed together into one hearty strip. This is a style of making Hou Kui that has appeared in just the last few years. The previous method yielded a pressed shard, 8.5 cm long, with one slightly opened bud and two or three leaves that were flattened and dried into a strip less than 1 cm wide. The new method yields a wider leaf (about 1.5cm) and presses together two sprigs of one bud and three leaves into a denser, wider strip. With this more robust strip, the tea is more durable, less prone to breakage, preserving whole leaves and thus preserving the lightness of their flavor as broken leaves will typically brew a stronger cup of tea.
The tea brews well at a higher temperature and longer times than I've used in the past, with better results than more gentle brewing. The only difficulty is that I want to use a smaller pot/gaiwan to brew the tea in a more concentrated fashion, but I'll need a tall thin pot to accommodate these leaves.

Oct 23rd, '12, 22:16

by MacGuffin » Oct 23rd, '12, 22:16

JRS22 wrote:I began my day with Tai Ping Hou Kui from Seven Cups. The picking standard was slightly different this year, and the tea is even more delicious than I recall.
The tea brews well at a higher temperature and longer times than I've used in the past, with better results than more gentle brewing. The only difficulty is that I want to use a smaller pot/gaiwan to brew the tea in a more concentrated fashion, but I'll need a tall thin pot to accommodate these leaves.
Thanks for posting. This year's TPHK caught my eye and I was wondering if it was an improvement over previous years.

Oct 24th, '12, 13:43
Vendor Member

by blairswhitaker » Oct 24th, '12, 13:43

A fantastic cup of Hibiki-An Kuradashi Gyokuro super premium... Smooth and rich, very nice a classic aged flavor. Brewed in a Wantanabe Tozo nosaka rough clay pot. brewed at a super low temp for a longer period of time (40C for three min. to start with).

kuradashi super premium by blairswhitaker, on Flickr

Oct 24th, '12, 14:16
Vendor Member

by blairswhitaker » Oct 24th, '12, 14:16

Next up in my tasting the sublime Ippodo Kanro. This very tasty offering was served in a Shimizu Ken reduction fired red clay pot.

ippodo Kanro by blairswhitaker, on Flickr

Untitled by blairswhitaker, on Flickr

Oct 24th, '12, 16:20

by shinobicha » Oct 24th, '12, 16:20

blairswhitaker -

which of the two gyos do you prefer?

I have tried both I think; a couple years ago I had two Kuradashi gyokuro from Hibiki-an. Surprisingly, the cheapest of the 3 versions they offered was better than the most expensive, which may have gone bad (I'm not sure, but I do know the "Pinnacle" was not worth the $ at all, while the "Super Premium" was great).

I have a bag of Kanro in the cupboard, looking forward to it.

Oct 24th, '12, 21:13
Vendor Member

Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

by blairswhitaker » Oct 24th, '12, 21:13

shinobicha wrote:blairswhitaker -

which of the two gyos do you prefer?

I have tried both I think; a couple years ago I had two Kuradashi gyokuro from Hibiki-an. Surprisingly, the cheapest of the 3 versions they offered was better than the most expensive, which may have gone bad (I'm not sure, but I do know the "Pinnacle" was not worth the $ at all, while the "Super Premium" was great).

I have a bag of Kanro in the cupboard, looking forward to it.
Well out of the two I prefer the kanro. It is a bit more lively and just a nicer umami flavor to me. The hibiki an kuradashi is to me a classic example of that type of tea, very very sweet and what I can only describe as "smooth". I actually have the hibiki an organic gyokuro that i prefer over both of these. I have been drinking a lot of aged gyokuro this year so i may just be enjoying the fresher flavors as a change of pace.

Oct 24th, '12, 21:32

by debunix » Oct 24th, '12, 21:32

The teaware looks as tasty as the tea....

Oct 24th, '12, 23:04

by chingwa » Oct 24th, '12, 23:04

shimizu ken represent!

Oct 26th, '12, 19:54
Vendor Member

by blairswhitaker » Oct 26th, '12, 19:54

My morning green tea today was Ippodo tenka-ichi this is a very nice, deep umami gyokuro. I enjoyed it out of my Wantanabe Tozo Kyusu in some perfect weather here in southern california. Enjoy the Autumn season everyone!!! (I am sorry for those of you who are about to experience "winter").

Oct 29th, '12, 19:27

by shinobicha » Oct 29th, '12, 19:27

Postby blairswhitaker » Oct 24th, '12, 21:13

Well out of the two I prefer the kanro. It is a bit more lively and just a nicer umami flavor to me. The hibiki an kuradashi is to me a classic example of that type of tea, very very sweet and what I can only describe as "smooth". I actually have the hibiki an organic gyokuro that i prefer over both of these. I have been drinking a lot of aged gyokuro this year so i may just be enjoying the fresher flavors as a change of pace
Cool, thanks for letting me know. I look forward to opening the kanro...I have a feeling I will like it more as well.

My morning green tea today was Ippodo tenka-ichi this is a very nice, deep umami gyokuro.
I have a 10g sample of this one as well... it will be interesting to compare it to the cost-friendlier kanro.

Oct 29th, '12, 21:43
Vendor Member

by ethan » Oct 29th, '12, 21:43

Top Leaf from Mellow Monk. It is > bitter! Their suggested 167F for 3 minutes = bitter; suggestion for following infusion for 30 seconds = bitter; quick steeping in Yixing teapot = bitter.

This is much > bitter than the spinach/vegetal taste of some oolongs, which I don't prefer but still can enjoy because they also have some sweetness etc.

I've enjoyed some smooth, brothy, flavorful green tea in Sushi bars; some also have a wonderful mouthfeel. That's why I continue to venture into green tea from time to time, but I fear that I won't find one I like, especially one that is affordable. Any suggestions?

Oct 29th, '12, 22:44

by tinols » Oct 29th, '12, 22:44

Tsukikage from IPPODO. This is my first ever matcha. Boy, I'm amazed. Grassy, creamy, a little pinch of salt taste there made me remember Boracay(Island in the Philippines similar to Hawaii). At ~$12 per 20g, that's pretty affordable if you ask me.

+ Post Reply