Hello TeaChat

Please introduce yourself here to our membership

Oct 25th, '12, 12:07

Hello TeaChat

by t4tom » Oct 25th, '12, 12:07

Afternoon,

I am relatively new to the world of tea so please go easy on me.

I've been slowly getting more interested in tea, following my first opportunity to try something a bit more special than english breakfast late last year (a strong and full-bodied red/black tea from the yunnan province). I followed up on this experience with increasing numbers of visits to speciality coffee/tea shops, before buying some teas to try at home.

I am the proud owner of a yixing teapot and I am interested in learning more about pu-erh and dian hong tea with a view to building a small collection for personal consumption.

Thanks,

Tom
UK

Oct 25th, '12, 12:13
Scrolling: fixed

Re: Hello TeaChat

by teanovice78 » Oct 25th, '12, 12:13

Hello Tom,
Welcome to TeaChat. I'm also pretty new to tea myself. I tried loose leaf tea maybe 3 or 4 years ago and enjoyed it but new nothing about it. Recently I watched a great documentary called "all in this tea" and it reminded me of how interesting and delicious quality tea can be. So I have been trying lots of new teas at my local shop. I enjoy black teas and puerh tea(ripe only). I have an yixing as of recently but it is pretty entry level; though I enjoy learning to use it correctly. This is a great board to learn about tea and I think you will find everyone very helpful. Dan

Oct 25th, '12, 12:37

by t4tom » Oct 25th, '12, 12:37

Thanks Dan,

It sounds like our interests are very similar.

I haven't got a clue what I am doing with my yixing, but it looks beautiful and in the absence of experience has at least added some welcome drama/ceremony to drinking tea!

Tom

Oct 25th, '12, 12:37

by t4tom » Oct 25th, '12, 12:37

teanovice78 wrote:Hello Tom,
Welcome to TeaChat. I'm also pretty new to tea myself. I tried loose leaf tea maybe 3 or 4 years ago and enjoyed it but new nothing about it. Recently I watched a great documentary called "all in this tea" and it reminded me of how interesting and delicious quality tea can be. So I have been trying lots of new teas at my local shop. I enjoy black teas and puerh tea(ripe only). I have an yixing as of recently but it is pretty entry level; though I enjoy learning to use it correctly. This is a great board to learn about tea and I think you will find everyone very helpful. Dan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azowEu7KK8E

Thanks!

Oct 25th, '12, 12:55

by teanovice78 » Oct 25th, '12, 12:55

Thanks for the link; if you haven't seen it give it a watch. I think it's very good and lots of information.

yixing brewing video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7zUE6xn ... re=related

Oct 25th, '12, 15:57

by t4tom » Oct 25th, '12, 15:57

I just finished watching the video. I'm off to quit my day job and go walking across china in search of perfect tea now...

Oct 25th, '12, 16:50

by teanovice78 » Oct 25th, '12, 16:50

I know what ya mean! :) Definitely makes you want to travel to Asia and drink tea in beautiful spots. I have watched it twice now and I think it really opened my mind up to a lot of things I really didn't know about.
The next one I am trying to find is "The Meaning of Tea". I think it is around 20 dollars U.S. on the movie's website. It is different than the other movie but it sounds really good. There is also a companion book on Amazon which I have been considering as well.
There is a great resource on this site called Tea Class.
http://www.teaclass.com/
There are online lessons you can go through with little quizzes after them; which goes through all types of tea and related issues. I found it very helpful. Also, just posting questions and reading different threads on here has also been great.
Dan

+ Post Reply