Delivery arrived today

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Oct 11th, '12, 16:08

Delivery arrived today

by mageta » Oct 11th, '12, 16:08

Just got my gaiwan and stuff from mountain tea today, I was lucky to have them both arrive on the same day. I haven't experienced very many teas so sorry if the review is a little vague, I don't have much to base this tasting off of. I'm also including the brew process so if anyone with more experience in this kind of tea has suggestions feel free to comment.

There was a free sample of organic mountain oolong in the box, which is what I decided to open first. The scent of the dry tea is that of dark pitted fruits and honey with a sort of grassyness in there as well. After a rinse and the first brew it really opens up and becomes very floral, it reminds me of jasmine tea but it's more subtle, not so perfumy like jasmine is.

The gaiwan is about 180 ml ( 6 ounces )

The flavor is a lot like the aroma; feels like I'm in a flower garden, maybe a little butteryness on the finish. One thing I did notice is that it's kind of bitter, I used boiling water so maybe it was too hot, the infusions were only 20-30 seconds each time so I don't feel like I steeped for too long. Perhaps this style just has some bitterness to it? It's definitely not overwhelming, but it is there, and after drinking longjing for weeks maybe I'm just used to teas with a sweeter finish. The gaiwan is about 180 ml ( 6 ounces )

Oct 17th, '12, 13:59

Re: Delivery arrived today

by dr_cat_md » Oct 17th, '12, 13:59

How much tea did you use?

Oct 26th, '12, 04:46
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Oct 26th, '12, 04:46

I prefer the green oolongs a little below boiling or I find they're bitter too. Right at boiling will mean they are a little unpleasantly bitter, but around 95 or so (I guess--I don't use a thermometer) and you get good flavor without the bitterness.

Oct 26th, '12, 10:27

by MacGuffin » Oct 26th, '12, 10:27

jayinhk wrote:I prefer the green oolongs a little below boiling or I find they're bitter too. Right at boiling will mean they are a little unpleasantly bitter, but around 95 or so (I guess--I don't use a thermometer) and you get good flavor without the bitterness.
I've never had any oolongs except dan congs go bitter on me but like you, I prefer to steep them just off the boil. I find that whatever's there just pops more if the water's just a skootch cooler.

Oct 26th, '12, 10:42
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Oct 26th, '12, 10:42

This is oft a topic you will not find full agreement on TeaChat nor any venue. 8)

I do not pretend to be an expert in this realm, but the greener the oolong, I can enjoy near boiling but find I prefer just backed off a bit.

However I do preheat brewing vessels, cups, etc. This can impact results as well. Boiling water poured into a cold gaiwan with dry leaves will cool much quicker than if poured into a preheated gaiwan. Besides, it is nice to smell the dry, warming leaves!

If you do go with boiling, the brew seems to be much more time sensitive, brewing too long can yield bitter results more readily than just slightly cooled water.

I believe this will be impacted by both the oolong and the personal taste factor.

Oct 26th, '12, 12:41

by hopeofdawn » Oct 26th, '12, 12:41

I just opened up my package of dark roast tie guan yin from Mountain Tea last night, and brewed it up in my yixing. The aroma on this tea is amazing--normally I take a vendor's description with a grain of salt, but you can really smell the malty, chocolatey notes in this tea! I'm still parsing out the taste--in a yixing, it's deep but without a whole lot of facets, so I want to try it in a porcelain pot to compare. But overall, it's really enjoyable. Not to mention a real bargain for the price.

Out of curiosity, has anyone tried Mountain Tea's Sumatran Black Pearl? I'm normally pretty picky about my black teas, but given how much I love their Imperial Pearl and the dark roast, I'm definitely wondering whether I should put it on my list for the next order. :)

Oct 26th, '12, 15:02

by mageta » Oct 26th, '12, 15:02

After several weeks I feel like I've nailed it down pretty well; nice, even, single layer of tea in the gaiwan, near boiling water and short infusions of about twenty seconds makes a pretty awesome cup.

I've been drinking mountain oolong spring from the same company and it's wonderful, the descriptions they give are actually pretty spot on, the first infusion is pretty similar to the last green oolong I was drinking which disappointed me, but the second infusion brings out a lot of tropical fruit. People have said that the second infusion is often the best and for this tea I would have to agree.

Oct 26th, '12, 18:49

by MacGuffin » Oct 26th, '12, 18:49

Chip wrote:However I do preheat brewing vessels, cups, etc. This can impact results as well. Boiling water poured into a cold gaiwan with dry leaves will cool much quicker than if poured into a preheated gaiwan. Besides, it is nice to smell the dry, warming leaves!
I'm totally with you on this but I do it for every tea except Japanese and Korean greens.

Oct 26th, '12, 19:13
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Oct 26th, '12, 19:13

MacGuffin wrote:
Chip wrote:However I do preheat brewing vessels, cups, etc. This can impact results as well. Boiling water poured into a cold gaiwan with dry leaves will cool much quicker than if poured into a preheated gaiwan. Besides, it is nice to smell the dry, warming leaves!
I'm totally with you on this but I do it for every tea except Japanese and Korean greens.
(OK, a bit off topic) ... ohhhh, you gotta try this with Japanese greens (sencha, gyokuro, and naturally matcha). Be sure to be sitting when you do for the "I ... must ... sit ... down!" experience. Be careful or it could blow your freakin' mind! :mrgreen:
mageta wrote:After several weeks I feel like I've nailed it down pretty well; nice, even, single layer of tea in the gaiwan, near boiling water and short infusions of about twenty seconds makes a pretty awesome cup.

I've been drinking mountain oolong spring from the same company and it's wonderful, the descriptions they give are actually pretty spot on, the first infusion is pretty similar to the last green oolong I was drinking which disappointed me, but the second infusion brings out a lot of tropical fruit. People have said that the second infusion is often the best and for this tea I would have to agree.
Glad to hear you figured things out.
hopeofdawn wrote:I just opened up my package of dark roast tie guan yin from Mountain Tea last night, and brewed it up in my yixing. The aroma on this tea is amazing--normally I take a vendor's description with a grain of salt, but you can really smell the malty, chocolatey notes in this tea! I'm still parsing out the taste--in a yixing, it's deep but without a whole lot of facets, so I want to try it in a porcelain pot to compare. But overall, it's really enjoyable. Not to mention a real bargain for the price.

Out of curiosity, has anyone tried Mountain Tea's Sumatran Black Pearl? I'm normally pretty picky about my black teas, but given how much I love their Imperial Pearl and the dark roast, I'm definitely wondering whether I should put it on my list for the next order. :)
I have only tried MountainTea.com Taiwan offerings ... and would like to hear impressions as well. You may have to be the guinnea pig.

Someone posted about the pu-erh offering in that forum as well.

Oct 26th, '12, 19:54

by sherubtse » Oct 26th, '12, 19:54

hopeofdawn wrote: Out of curiosity, has anyone tried Mountain Tea's Sumatran Black Pearl? I'm normally pretty picky about my black teas, but given how much I love their Imperial Pearl and the dark roast, I'm definitely wondering whether I should put it on my list for the next order. :)
I had been eyeing that one myself for some time. 2oz. is coming with my just-completed order, compliments of their great sale. :D

Best wishes,
sherubtse

Nov 7th, '12, 14:57

by hopeofdawn » Nov 7th, '12, 14:57

Well, looks like I get to answer my own question. :) Tried the Sumatran Black Pearl for the first time last night, and it was lovely. It might not be the thing for people who like really strong black tea--the flavor profile was actually pretty mild, very smooth and with a fruity/flowery scent and taste. It's one of those black teas that straddles the border between deep roasted oolong and black, I think, which suits me perfectly.

Not to mention I ordered from Mountain Tea around midday on Friday, and received my order on Monday. Admittedly we're on the same side of the country, but still--nothing but praise for their service!

Nov 7th, '12, 15:12

by sherubtse » Nov 7th, '12, 15:12

hopeofdawn wrote:Well, looks like I get to answer my own question. :) Tried the Sumatran Black Pearl for the first time last night, and it was lovely. It might not be the thing for people who like really strong black tea--the flavor profile was actually pretty mild, very smooth and with a fruity/flowery scent and taste. It's one of those black teas that straddles the border between deep roasted oolong and black, I think, which suits me perfectly.

Not to mention I ordered from Mountain Tea around midday on Friday, and received my order on Monday. Admittedly we're on the same side of the country, but still--nothing but praise for their service!
Received my order from MT yesterday (though it was sitting in the post office for a day or two).

Yes, great service and packaging! I'll definitely order again -- I already know that they have some fine teas.

Two small quibbles, though: It would have been nice to have received an e-mail confirmation when the parcel was actually sent.

Also, great to have a SASE envelope for the feedback form. The only problem is that it had a U.S. stamp. :lol:

Best wishes,
sherubtse

Nov 7th, '12, 16:51
Vendor Member

by ethan » Nov 7th, '12, 16:51

Some bitterness seems to be an inevitable character of green oolongs, in my limited experience. It comes to me late, & this "aftertaste" is in the back of my mouth. The best keep this bitterness subtle & allow a few infusions; while some of these oolongs seem to build up the bitterness in my mouth enough to prevent enjoyment of > 2 infusions.

STILL EXPERIMENTING & am thankful for discussion here.

Originally retreated to temperature > 20 degrees < MT suggested, but now also getting good results w/ water close to boiling for quicker gongfu steeping w/ more leaves than I usually employ.

Nov 8th, '12, 01:13

by Tead Off » Nov 8th, '12, 01:13

ethan wrote:Some bitterness seems to be an inevitable character of green oolongs, in my limited experience. It comes to me late, & this "aftertaste" is in the back of my mouth. The best keep this bitterness subtle & allow a few infusions; while some of these oolongs seem to build up the bitterness in my mouth enough to prevent enjoyment of > 2 infusions.

STILL EXPERIMENTING & am thankful for discussion here.

Originally retreated to temperature > 20 degrees < MT suggested, but now also getting good results w/ water close to boiling for quicker gongfu steeping w/ more leaves than I usually employ.
A good high mountain oolong from Taiwan should not be bitter. 5-7g in 100ml vessel, using boiling or near boiling water, brewing from 10-30sec depending on the tea and your taste should give very good tea.

Nov 8th, '12, 14:29
Vendor Member

by ethan » Nov 8th, '12, 14:29

Tead Off et. al.,

Your being able to get multiple infusions w/o bitterness, is something I can't do for all of these oolongs from MT though I have really tried. I still would say that they are all "good" tea & good value for $.

I've had the time & the inclination; so, I've really explored the possibilities for getting best results from various combinations of amount of tea used, temp., & time. For me, all are "good" tea. Some only provide 2 infusions before bitterness spoils enjoyment partially or fully, but those 2 infusions are delicious & may be had for 1 teaspoon per cup (Western style).

Gongfu style for me is wasteful w/ these particular teas; but it was helpful & interesting to try. I've learned that I can use more temp. & less time than I was for Western style steeping.

Some of the comments from participants in the OTTI for MT also note a lack of durability for some of the teas while being happy w/ the flavor.

+ Post Reply