Hi, new tea drinker here

Please introduce yourself here to our membership

Oct 30th, '12, 08:28

Hi, new tea drinker here

by xdunlapx » Oct 30th, '12, 08:28

Hi guys. I've been hanging around here for a week or so but signed up 2 years ago. I started drinking tea 2 years ago and kind of burned myself out of it since I was drinking only masala chai (in bags) constantly. I quit drinking it and now I'm back to drinking it again. I really enjoy tea. So far my two favorite teas are chai and irish breakfast tea.

I placed an order from The Tea Table last week and am anxiously awaiting it's arrival today. I ordered Bourbon Sunday Blend (a vanilla flavored tea), Caramel black tea and masala chai (all loose leaf). I can't wait to try them.

I just placed an order yesterday at Harney & Sons for Chamraj Nilgiri FOP, Tippy Yunnan and Irish Breakfast. I hope to have that by the end of the week. So excited!

I have been chatting a lot in the Instant Messenger here at teachat.

The only hobby I have is tea drinking now. I'm a computer geek who just switched to Mac after 10 years using Linux and occasionally using Windows. So, that's my story. I hope to make many friends here. I am glad I found teachat.

Oct 31st, '12, 00:44
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Hi, new tea drinker here

by Chip » Oct 31st, '12, 00:44

Hi Dunlap, and welcome to TeaChat! Looking forward to seeing you around. Glad you finally decided to post and join in the teachatter. :mrgreen:

Oct 31st, '12, 09:44

by xdunlapx » Oct 31st, '12, 09:44

Thanks, Chip. I'm experimenting with flavored tea. Unfortunately I don't really taste the flavors in the tea while it's hot though if it were iced It might be different. I can smell the vanilla or caramel in the cup after it's gone though which is heavenly.

I've heard that flavored teas are of lower quality than blends or single estate teas. I ordered Chamraj Nilgiri FOP, Irish Breakfast and Tippy Yunnan though the picture doesn't show many golden tips so I don't know if it'll actually be tippy. It shipped yesterday from Harney & Sons.

I found that site through the tea vendor guide. :)

I do enjoy the flavored teas even though I can't taste much of the flavors. So it wasn't a bad purchase. The flavored teas were from The Tea Table which I found on google.

I think for Christmas I'm going to ask for a Darjeeling tea. What is the difference between first flush and second flush? Is a flush like the first pick of the leaves and the second flush is the second? What's the difference in taste?

Oct 31st, '12, 15:56

by teaisme » Oct 31st, '12, 15:56

xdunlapx wrote:What is the difference between first flush and second flush? Is a flush like the first pick of the leaves and the second flush is the second? What's the difference in taste?
brief summary http://www.thunderbolttea.com/pages/dar ... eason.html

They have a decent sale going on now too btw.

Oct 31st, '12, 16:42

by xdunlapx » Oct 31st, '12, 16:42

teaisme wrote:
xdunlapx wrote:What is the difference between first flush and second flush? Is a flush like the first pick of the leaves and the second flush is the second? What's the difference in taste?
brief summary http://www.thunderbolttea.com/pages/dar ... eason.html

They have a decent sale going on now too btw.
Thanks, teaisme. I don't understand most of that yet since it's all terminology I am not familiar with but I hope to soon expand my vocabulary. I know "muscatel" is from muscat grapes but I've never tasted any grape other than the ones in our grocery stores. From the name "muscat" it to me sounds like it would be musky tasting, and earthy with hints of sweetness?

+ Post Reply