Monday 10/29/12 Brewvelution?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

How do you brew? Have your brewing methods evolved/changed since the same time last year?

My brewing methods have not changed or evolved
23%
My brewing methods have changed tremendously
19%
My brewing methods seem to evolve slowing as I am introduced to new teas and new teaware
46%
I am a newbie of less than one year, but since I started, yes, my methods have changed due to TeaChat
8%
I am a newbie of less than one year, but my methods have not changed
No votes
Other
4%

Total votes: 26

Oct 29th, '12, 00:28
Scrolling: scrolling

Monday 10/29/12 Brewvelution?

by Chip » Oct 29th, '12, 00:28

Welcome everyone to another TeaDay!

Today's TeaPoll and discussion topic is once again about brewing. Would you say your brewing methods changed or evolved significantly over the last year, somewhat, or no not really. How have they changed? If you are a newbie, how drastically have your methods changed...or not at all.

I am really looking forward to sharing TeaDay with everyone. Bottoms up, refill, repeat many many times...

Oct 29th, '12, 11:15

Re: Monday 10/29/12 Brewvelution?

by Stentor » Oct 29th, '12, 11:15

I voted "not changed or evolved", although I do think one additional year of experience in brewing - even if the technique is mostly the same - does have a positive effect.

In my cup right now: Organic Sencha "Gold" from O-Cha (from 2011).

Oct 31st, '12, 16:35

by xdunlapx » Oct 31st, '12, 16:35

I consider myself a 'newbie' to tea even though I started drinking tea 2 years ago. I had quit not long after I started because I burned myself out of chai. I wasn't drinking it with milk or cream and it was just a very strong taste.. I'd drink 15 cups in a day or something high like that.. Now realize that was all bagged chai (Tazo Organic Chai) which I like but now that I've bought and tried a loose leaf masala I love it more! This time I add cream to each chai cup and brew it strongly. Quite yummy I must say.

But I voted not as a newbie but the option that says that my brewing techniques have evolved slowly over time. I used to infuse my bagged chai for 5 full minutes. Now I infuse my loose leaf (all flavored teas right now) at 4 minutes. I don't taste much of the flavor that I can smell on the dry and wet leaf when it's hot. I assume I could taste the vanilla (for example) if it were iced. But either way the tea is tasty.

I'm starting to try to find fruity or sweet tea that isn't flavored. I want higher quality tea to see if I can taste the difference at this early point in my tea-career. I've had some good suggestions from the members who frequently use the instant messenger here on the site. Those recommendations were Dian Hong, Qimen, second flush Darjeeling and Nilgiri tea. I did buy a Nilgiri in this latest order that will arrive tomorrow, so I'm excited to try it.

Oct 31st, '12, 17:25

by BioHorn » Oct 31st, '12, 17:25

I love the cross pollinization between tea drinkers different styles.

It was the unruly Japanese green drinkers that turned me on to slow-ice brewed sencha this year. I'd say that was the biggest tea-volution I have had this year.

Oct 31st, '12, 17:53

by Chip » Oct 31st, '12, 17:53

BioHorn wrote:I love the cross pollinization between tea drinkers different styles.

It was the unruly Japanese green drinkers that turned me on to slow-ice brewed sencha this year. I'd say that was the biggest tea-volution I have had this year.
Unruly you say, you haven't seen anything yet! :mrgreen:

Nov 2nd, '12, 19:28
Location: Lat: N 59º 37' 3.79" Long: E 17º 49' 35.49" or thereabouts

by sriracha » Nov 2nd, '12, 19:28

I voted 'Other' because I'm not sure if it's my methods, me, the tea or something else that changed but stuff has been happening, in leaps and bounds as evolution is prone to. Suddenly I could pick up changes in what I tasted that weren't there before. Mostly regarding teaware i e noticing the difference between two brewing vessels, or the development of one in particular.

Plus my trip to London gave me a few revelations... :p

Nov 2nd, '12, 21:14

by BioHorn » Nov 2nd, '12, 21:14

sriracha wrote:I voted 'Other' because I'm not sure if it's my methods, me, the tea or something else that changed but stuff has been happening, in leaps and bounds as evolution is prone to. Suddenly I could pick up changes in what I tasted that weren't there before. Mostly regarding teaware i e noticing the difference between two brewing vessels, or the development of one in particular.

Plus my trip to London gave me a few revelations... :p
Please share! :D

Nov 3rd, '12, 09:22
Location: Lat: N 59º 37' 3.79" Long: E 17º 49' 35.49" or thereabouts

by sriracha » Nov 3rd, '12, 09:22

Well, maybe the teas I buy aren't that bad, and London tap water is the nemesis of any tea. Quite possibly the worst-tasting water I've ever come across. No offense intended.

Nov 3rd, '12, 13:19

by debunix » Nov 3rd, '12, 13:19

Not a lot of change in my brewing over the past year.....some new tricks like a 'hot start' flash rinse for some green teas before starting lower infusion temps and working back up; and more consistently improved results with lower temperature brewing.