Puerh with High Energy


One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Re: Puerh with High Energy

Postby TwoDog2 » Oct 7th, '12, 05:40

apache wrote:Who knows, we might say the same thing with some of the expensive 2011 and 2012 cakes in a few years time.



This possibility frightens me.
User avatar
TwoDog2
Vendor Member
 
Posts: 465
Joined: Mar 19th, '
Location: Frequently Moving Around

Re: Puerh with High Energy

Postby TIM » Oct 19th, '12, 15:37

Image

Chen Yun Hao, pure Guafengzhai 2012 Spring. Extremely high mellow energy. Powerful impairing of thoughts, movement and self... the real deal, no kiddy pool. On 16th brew and its 3rd day.
User avatar
TIM
Vendor Member
 
Posts: 2042
Joined: Apr 4th, '0
Location: NYC

Re: Puerh with High Energy

Postby shah82 » Oct 19th, '12, 16:34

Will you stock it somehow? I know nobody these days makes very many top end no-shit Yiwu, but be nice if at least one US based vendor sold a few cakes, though I can guess it would be north of $300, minimum.
shah82
 
Posts: 1141
Joined: May 9th, '0

Re: Puerh with High Energy

Postby TIM » Oct 19th, '12, 16:42

shah82 wrote:Will you stock it somehow? I know nobody these days makes very many top end no-shit Yiwu, but be nice if at least one US based vendor sold a few cakes, though I can guess it would be north of $300, minimum.


I am not sure if the US market is ready for these level yet. Chen Yun Hao are made for aging, not for immediate consumption. Perhaps in another 5 years when people in the West have enough experiences with their "after 2004 stocks" and realize what really is good and what is not, or what are good for aging and why...

Personally, I've been collecting this and other smaller productions which are made for aging just because I believe in traditional processing and theory.
User avatar
TIM
Vendor Member
 
Posts: 2042
Joined: Apr 4th, '0
Location: NYC

Re: Puerh with High Energy

Postby shah82 » Oct 19th, '12, 17:12

Nada did okay selling his GFZ for $200, and Scott has managed to sell super-expensive HLH Yiwu and LBZ cakes. I don't think puerh-drinking is ever going to explode into an activity that's widely adopted in the West, even by the rich. In any event, you could democratize the purchase of such teas a bit more, for the homebodies that aren't haring off to Taiwan, HK, and Beijing and meeting famous tea people with precious stashes.
shah82
 
Posts: 1141
Joined: May 9th, '0

Re: Puerh with High Energy

Postby shah82 » Oct 19th, '12, 17:25

Wow, decided to try Taobao, and the guy who had Chenyunhao is down to just one, from '01. I couldn't even find it in a taobao search...had to use google site:taobao.com to find--*again*.
shah82
 
Posts: 1141
Joined: May 9th, '0

Re: Puerh with High Energy

Postby TIM » Oct 20th, '12, 22:54

shah82 wrote:Wow, decided to try Taobao, and the guy who had Chenyunhao is down to just one, from '01. I couldn't even find it in a taobao search...had to use google site:taobao.com to find--*again*.


Any news?
User avatar
TIM
Vendor Member
 
Posts: 2042
Joined: Apr 4th, '0
Location: NYC

Re: Puerh with High Energy

Postby ImmortaliTEA » Oct 25th, '12, 22:09

needaTEAcher wrote:Pretty sure wild trees, big leaves, old trees, and all that jazz. I've read some dissenting opinions that argue that all that noise is just marketing. The jury is still out on this end though (I need to drink a LOT more tea before I have an opinion one way or the other). Either way, I love this tea!

I'll double check details tomorrow when I swing by the shop. Interesting thought: someone told me that one theory for why Bulang Mountain produces such strong teas is because it is so windy that the trees grow stronger leaves! I don't really get the botany behind it, but then again I never do; but I like the thought nonetheless!

PS-Been drinking it from hongni and liking the experience (just a note for ImmortaliTEA) :D


Yes I appreciate the comment and find that Hong Ni is great for any tea but shines with Sheng of any age, however, when using it for younger Sheng, it truly eliminates any harsh notes or rough traces of youth, while preserving the aroma and sweetness. I have also recently found that Hei Ni is wonderful for young to middle aged Sheng and although it is more of an eraser in terms of aroma, it somehow mellows out and balances the strong Qi of these younger aged teas. Thanks!

ImmortaliTEA-
User avatar
ImmortaliTEA
 
Posts: 227
Joined: Apr 12th, '
Location: Sunrise, FL

Re: Puerh with High Energy

Postby ethan » Oct 25th, '12, 23:25

Re:
Rough weather makes stronger, better tea trees. Perhaps. Perhaps not.


Millions of people starved to death in the Soviet Union because Stalin thought he could produce stronger plants to produce food by putting plants under duress. He ordered deliberate "challenging" (my word for failure to remember what words were used) farming to induce what grew there to become stronger & yield more food. Failure did not deter Stalin, & the program continued for years past its obvious complete failure. Shortages of food cost millions of lives, > than could be counted accurately. Also, some honest farmers, botanists., & other scientists that dared to challenge Stalin's theory, were sent to Siberia to starve to death in labor camps slowly.

Anyway, love to taste tea someday as good & powerful as what is discussed here however it got that way.
ethan
 
Posts: 457
Joined: May 27th, '
Location: Boston, MA 2/3; Thailand 1/3

Re: Puerh with High Energy

Postby needaTEAcher » Oct 26th, '12, 08:24

ethan wrote:Re:
Rough weather makes stronger, better tea trees. Perhaps. Perhaps not.


Millions of people starved to death in the Soviet Union because Stalin thought he could produce stronger plants to produce food by putting plants under duress. He ordered deliberate "challenging" (my word for failure to remember what words were used) farming to induce what grew there to become stronger & yield more food. Failure did not deter Stalin, & the program continued for years past its obvious complete failure. Shortages of food cost millions of lives, > than could be counted accurately. Also, some honest farmers, botanists., & other scientists that dared to challenge Stalin's theory, were sent to Siberia to starve to death in labor camps slowly.

Anyway, love to taste tea someday as good & powerful as what is discussed here however it got that way.


I was taught that one of the current theories is that stronger wind leads to more powerful tea. I was also taught that we don't know, but that is one of the leading theories. As very much not a botanist nor chemical biologist, I have exactly zero idea on any of it! Make what you will.
User avatar
needaTEAcher
 
Posts: 505
Joined: Oct 6th, '1
Location: Hong Kong, next China

Re: Puerh with High Energy

Postby TIM » Oct 26th, '12, 11:13

Ladies and Gentlemen. Kindly keep this topic to your personal experience with High Energy puerh please. Possible? :roll:
User avatar
TIM
Vendor Member
 
Posts: 2042
Joined: Apr 4th, '0
Location: NYC

Re: Puerh with High Energy

Postby ImmortaliTEA » Oct 30th, '12, 11:02

When you say high energy, are you referring to the more upbeat, high heart rate, sweating behind back and legs kind of energy one receives mostly from younger strong sheng ONLY or can high energy just mean strong Qi in general? What I mean is can any aged Sheng qualify for your definition of high energy or when a tea gets aged do you call it something different such as 'mellow' energy? Just curious because if high energy=strong qi then I was wondering why no one mentioned any aged Sheng teas because I personally think that the Qi of the older teas tend to be stronger overall but in more of a 'downer' euphoria type of way!
User avatar
ImmortaliTEA
 
Posts: 227
Joined: Apr 12th, '
Location: Sunrise, FL

Re: Puerh with High Energy

Postby TokyoB » Nov 3rd, '12, 09:35

XZH 2007 Huang Shan Lin - This has fairly strong qi but doesn't have as "aggressive" a feel as some other high energy tea. This is also a somewhat less common varietal, for what that's worth. (FYI - HouDe lists this as Huan Shan Lin)
Last edited by TokyoB on Nov 4th, '12, 15:27, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
TokyoB
 
Posts: 549
Joined: Nov 19th, '
Location: US (mid-Atlantic)

Re: Puerh with High Energy

Postby shah82 » Nov 3rd, '12, 11:26

Sanhetang currently sez it's a Yangtashan JingGu. Back in 2007, an affiliated Taipei shop sez it was a Huangcaoba JingGu from Ailaoshan.
shah82
 
Posts: 1141
Joined: May 9th, '0

Re: Puerh with High Energy

Postby TIM » Nov 4th, '12, 11:20

ImmortaliTEA wrote:When you say high energy, are you referring to the more upbeat, high heart rate, sweating behind back and legs kind of energy one receives mostly from younger strong sheng ONLY or can high energy just mean strong Qi in general? What I mean is can any aged Sheng qualify for your definition of high energy or when a tea gets aged do you call it something different such as 'mellow' energy? Just curious because if high energy=strong qi then I was wondering why no one mentioned any aged Sheng teas because I personally think that the Qi of the older teas tend to be stronger overall but in more of a 'downer' euphoria type of way!


Sorry for the late reply IT. Just got power back from a week of darkness.... Feels good to have wifi again.

When I refer to high energy, I am not suggesting to the high heart rate, jiggling feeling. Most young sheng do not have such high energy that I am seeking for, but only a few which I mentioned here before. High energy mostly come from old tree or aging 8-15 years up, no matter its an oolong or a sheng. IMHO could be categorized by:

1. Mild
2. Moderate
3. High (Active)
4. Strong:
a, Calming
b, Aggressive

Qi from aged tea are more long lasting, persistent and parallelizing:

http://themandarinstea.blogspot.com/200 ... -2008.html

http://themandarinstea.blogspot.com/200 ... incer.html
Last edited by TIM on Nov 4th, '12, 14:56, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
TIM
Vendor Member
 
Posts: 2042
Joined: Apr 4th, '0
Location: NYC

PreviousNext

Instant Messenger

Permissions
You cannot post new topics
You cannot reply to topics
You cannot edit your posts
You cannot delete your posts
You cannot post attachments
Navigation