Puerh with High Energy


One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Re: Puerh with High Energy

Postby shah82 » Nov 4th, '12, 13:58

Also a distinction between body/head. Whether that qi is weight or moving along body's meridians. Some qi, especially body feel stuff, is sneaky, and builds before you know it.

Qi from young gushu and qi from aged tea are somewhat different. Young gushu tea can fade or increase yoy. Once a tea is 15yo+ it starts more or less increasing according to the original quality of the leaves.
shah82
 
Posts: 1151
Joined: May 9th, '0

Re: Puerh with High Energy

Postby ImmortaliTEA » Nov 5th, '12, 04:57

TIM wrote:
ImmortaliTEA wrote:When you say high energy, are you referring to the more upbeat, high heart rate, sweating behind back and legs kind of energy one receives mostly from younger strong sheng ONLY or can high energy just mean strong Qi in general? What I mean is can any aged Sheng qualify for your definition of high energy or when a tea gets aged do you call it something different such as 'mellow' energy? Just curious because if high energy=strong qi then I was wondering why no one mentioned any aged Sheng teas because I personally think that the Qi of the older teas tend to be stronger overall but in more of a 'downer' euphoria type of way!


Sorry for the late reply IT. Just got power back from a week of darkness.... Feels good to have wifi again.

When I refer to high energy, I am not suggesting to the high heart rate, jiggling feeling. Most young sheng do not have such high energy that I am seeking for, but only a few which I mentioned here before. High energy mostly come from old tree or aging 8-15 years up, no matter its an oolong or a sheng. IMHO could be categorized by:

1. Mild
2. Moderate
3. High (Active)
4. Strong:
a, Calming
b, Aggressive

Qi from aged tea are more long lasting, persistent and parallelizing:

http://themandarinstea.blogspot.com/200 ... -2008.html

http://themandarinstea.blogspot.com/200 ... incer.html


Oh no I'm so sorry to hear you had no power for so long but I guess I should have figured that considering Sandy's complexity. Well its great to have you back on here. Thank you very much as I really appreciate you distinguishing between the two different types of Cha Qi. I rarely every drink Sheng teas younger than 10-12 years old as I find the aged teas better in every possible way like as they age, they lose the negative characteristics of themselves, as they move on their way down the path of time, constantly increasing in complexity as they move toward their perfect self (diamond body in Taoism)(or as close to perfect as they get). However, when I do happen to drink some younger shengs I do feel a very powerful Cha Qi, but its like the complete opposite type of powerful than the aged chi. The "young Qi" is something I would refer to as an "upper" type of feeling with actual energy (like caffeine), increase in heart rate, tingling sensations in extremities, and an overall overstimulated feeling that feels way too messy to be my cup of tea. I prefer the more mellow or "downer" like Cha Qi of the aged teas as it feels so much more clean and medicinal on the body. Honestly to me no young Sheng I have ever tasted comes even close to the level of Cha Qi of the 85' 8582 or even the 60's Shui Xian for that matter. Sorry for the long post because I've always seen how people seem to love the Cha Qi of these younger Sheng teas and I have always felt that none of them can compare to a high quality aged teas' Cha Qi and felt that the aged chi is like a refined version of the young chi aiming to be at its diamond body and often times makes me feel like I'm in my diamond body when drinking them. Lol. Thanks Tim!

ImmortaliTEA-
User avatar
ImmortaliTEA
 
Posts: 227
Joined: Apr 12th, '
Location: Sunrise, FL

Re: Puerh with High Energy

Postby gasninja » Nov 5th, '12, 13:51

Yesterday I started a session with "92 yi wu spring buds" 7532 (neither from 92 or yiwu). It had an extremely narcotic qi. It was quite intense at one point I could hardly keep my eyes open. I am curious to get some thoughts on qi strength of older recipe cakes.With older tea 20+ years I feel like the finer the leaf grade the more narcotic or sedating the qi. While more coarse leaf grades tend towards a slightly more floating euphoric feeling. Of coarse that is a big generalization and very subjective. It is just something that I have personally noticed.
User avatar
gasninja
 
Posts: 618
Joined: Mar 10th, '
Location: Mount Zion

Re: Puerh with High Energy

Postby ethan » Nov 5th, '12, 14:16

gasninja, I've never had the pleasure of these feelings drinking tea. If the tea also tastes good, what a lovely way to end a day & go to sleep!
ethan
 
Posts: 496
Joined: May 27th, '
Location: Boston, MA 2/3; Thailand 1/3

Re: Puerh with High Energy

Postby ImmortaliTEA » Nov 5th, '12, 17:06

gasninja wrote:Yesterday I started a session with "92 yi wu spring buds" 7532 (neither from 92 or yiwu). It had an extremely narcotic qi. It was quite intense at one point I could hardly keep my eyes open. I am curious to get some thoughts on qi strength of older recipe cakes.With older tea 20+ years I feel like the finer the leaf grade the more narcotic or sedating the qi. While more coarse leaf grades tend towards a slightly more floating euphoric feeling. Of coarse that is a big generalization and very subjective. It is just something that I have personally noticed.


So when you say finer leaf grade, are you saying that you feel more of a narcotic Qi with say a 7532 or 7542 than you would an 8582 (all aged more than 20 years of course or even 15 if traditionally stored) because the former have a smaller, finer leaf grade? That sounds like it makes sense but the part I don't understand is the difference between a narcotic Qi and a floating euphoric feeling. Obviously you said it right there it's a very subjective thing but I am just curious to understand the difference. To me a narcotic/sedating Qi is euphoric and I personally have experienced that floating feeling at the same time as the narcotic feeling. Again I guess the subjectiveness of this aspect of tea drinking most likely has a lot to do with it as I assume a narcotic/sedating feeling is not very euphoric for certain people's tastes and they prefer some other type of Qi. Nice comment!
User avatar
ImmortaliTEA
 
Posts: 227
Joined: Apr 12th, '
Location: Sunrise, FL

Re: Puerh with High Energy

Postby shah82 » Nov 5th, '12, 17:47

Hmmm...

7542/7532-like teas have more caffeine, at least when starting out. Also, I have to wonder whether the original leaf blend matters--should we really say that a Lan Yin 7542 is very close to a standard one?

Tippier aged tea tends to make me feel energy flowing around my body in general. The 2001 7542 I have does press from the crown of my head down. The high leaf grade 1987 shu I've had made my body feel like an ocean, replete with currents. Not always pleasant at high doses. However, the 1987 8582 I've had does not do much. It just makes me feel good where I am--that, I think, is what gasninja is alluding to. An inner hollowing out and resulting buoyancy.
shah82
 
Posts: 1151
Joined: May 9th, '0

Re: Puerh with High Energy

Postby solitude » Nov 6th, '12, 05:49

Among the teas I tried lately the 2012 EOT Bulang made me feel stoned in a pleasant way (much nicer qi than the 2011 version).

For old tea qi, the 70's Da Ye (if I remember the name correctly) loose sheng also from the EoT made me slow down and dissolve into the chair right after the first brew and the calm, silent and relaxed feeling lasted the whole afternoon and evening.
User avatar
solitude
 
Posts: 166
Joined: Nov 8th, '1
Location: Basel (Switzerland), Slovakia

Re: Puerh with High Energy

Postby gasninja » Nov 6th, '12, 10:52

ImmortaliTEA wrote:
gasninja wrote:Yesterday I started a session with "92 yi wu spring buds" 7532 (neither from 92 or yiwu). It had an extremely narcotic qi. It was quite intense at one point I could hardly keep my eyes open. I am curious to get some thoughts on qi strength of older recipe cakes.With older tea 20+ years I feel like the finer the leaf grade the more narcotic or sedating the qi. While more coarse leaf grades tend towards a slightly more floating euphoric feeling. Of coarse that is a big generalization and very subjective. It is just something that I have personally noticed.


So when you say finer leaf grade, are you saying that you feel more of a narcotic Qi with say a 7532 or 7542 than you would an 8582 (all aged more than 20 years of course or even 15 if traditionally stored) because the former have a smaller, finer leaf grade? That sounds like it makes sense but the part I don't understand is the difference between a narcotic Qi and a floating euphoric feeling. Obviously you said it right there it's a very subjective thing but I am just curious to understand the difference. To me a narcotic/sedating Qi is euphoric and I personally have experienced that floating feeling at the same time as the narcotic feeling. Again I guess the subjectiveness of this aspect of tea drinking most likely has a lot to do with it as I assume a narcotic/sedating feeling is not very euphoric for certain people's tastes and they prefer some other type of Qi. Nice comment!

I think the more tippy the tea the more lethargic the qi seems to make me.
User avatar
gasninja
 
Posts: 618
Joined: Mar 10th, '
Location: Mount Zion

Re: Puerh with High Energy

Postby needaTEAcher » Nov 9th, '12, 10:43

solitude wrote:Among the teas I tried lately the 2012 EOT Bulang made me feel stoned in a pleasant way (much nicer qi than the 2011 version).


I think this plant has a name other than tea... :lol:

ethan wrote:gasninja, I've never had the pleasure of these feelings drinking tea. If the tea also tastes good, what a lovely way to end a day & go to sleep!


I know many people who drink puerh especially at night, and who cannot stay awake after 6 or 7 cups. It jacks me up though, makes me very alert yet calm. Of course, as everyone seems to have noticed, the older teas from better initial leaves make the smoothest, strongest, and happiest highs for me. The oldest puerh I have played with was a 1960 loose-leaf, and the energy it gave off was startling. I felt like my lower core was on fire, and waves of heat and cold were rushing outward through my body.

shah82 wrote:Also a distinction between body/head. Whether that qi is weight or moving along body's meridians. Some qi, especially body feel stuff, is sneaky, and builds before you know it.

Qi from young gushu and qi from aged tea are somewhat different. Young gushu tea can fade or increase yoy. Once a tea is 15yo+ it starts more or less increasing according to the original quality of the leaves.


And of course different teas, and different categories, produce different results. I am especially interested in the different effects we can produce by drinking these or those teas in a particular order. For example, I was advised to drink an oolong whenever possible right before a puerh session, to open my body and flow and best receive the tea energy. Funky and fun stuff that is hard for me to understand.

BTW-Going to Bulang mountain in 2 weeks to make my own tea. Should be a pretty strong cup. Wish me luck all! I'll post about it eventually.
User avatar
needaTEAcher
 
Posts: 505
Joined: Oct 6th, '1
Location: Hong Kong, next China

Re: Puerh with High Energy

Postby gasninja » Nov 10th, '12, 10:17

Any specific kind of oolong. It seems to me there are two kinds High mountains style and more traditional style roasted oolongs. Which was recommended?
User avatar
gasninja
 
Posts: 618
Joined: Mar 10th, '
Location: Mount Zion

Re: Puerh with High Energy

Postby ImmortaliTEA » Nov 12th, '12, 14:24

gasninja wrote:Any specific kind of oolong. It seems to me there are two kinds High mountains style and more traditional style roasted oolongs. Which was recommended?


I know I couldn't possibly know which specific kind of oolong needaTEAcher was referring to (if he was in fact referring to one type and not all oolongs), however, I must say that since reading this thread I have tried a few different styles before my favorite early 90's Yiwu aged Beeng (all on separate days of course). First I tried a very high grade green TGY before the puerh and I must say the puerh Qi was still pleasant, however, it wasn't really any different than usual. Secondly, I tried a green Gaoshan (Fo Shou Shan), and the results were similar, with maybe a touch more Qi movement from root chakra to the heart. I then decided to try an aged roasted Li Shan (1995), this was the first one that I could truly tell a difference from and it seemed like the Qi after the puerh was much stronger, but also much more active in my head (almost felt like tingly static electricity in different parts of my head). Finally, I saved my favorite for last. I brewed a delicious medium-high roasted Shui Xian (cherry syrup heavy) before consuming the same amount of cups of the Yiwu and I was simply astounded with the results. Mostly with other experiences I've noticed that when you consume a second tea, it does one of two things (either it covers up the last tea's flavor & Qi, or it isn't strong enough and falls victim to the last tea in that you still only taste & feel the first tea). However, this time it felt as though the Qi of the Yan Cha and the puerh combined together, making me feel calmly alert, completely euphoric in mind, body, & spirit, as well as having that usual wonderful well-being feeling I always get from Yan Cha (especially SX). Sorry for the long comment but I thought it was pretty amazing how different oolong types can create such vastly different experiences when taken before puerh. Also, that the Qi of two teas can be combined if the right order/combination is found. Thanks!

ImmortaliTEA-
User avatar
ImmortaliTEA
 
Posts: 227
Joined: Apr 12th, '
Location: Sunrise, FL

Re: Puerh with High Energy

Postby needaTEAcher » Nov 12th, '12, 19:37

Ultmately, all oolongs I guess. Puerh is my mjotr if you will, and oolong is morelike a minor. I'll drink anything good, anything put in front of me, but I don't seek out any of the high-altitude stuff, and none of the TKY style balled stuff.Kind of confuses me, honestly, becuase I have read that the balled TKY-like olongs are more oxidized, but they seem a lot closer to green teas to me, and I am not as much a fan of green teas.

The oolongs tht get me going are the roasted, twisted type ooolongs, like Da Hong Pao. One life goal is to taste 2nd or 3rd Generation DHP before I die!!!!!! I also am big on Formose nd any well-aged oolongs. I have been traveling with a good Formose.

Passing thought: I went through a phase where I was mixing Yin Zhen and DHP, and YZ and Dancong in a small duanni pot. Some of the blends were pretty good, and some were not. I lov eblending leaves and qis. :)
User avatar
needaTEAcher
 
Posts: 505
Joined: Oct 6th, '1
Location: Hong Kong, next China

Re: Puerh with High Energy

Postby gasninja » Nov 13th, '12, 10:54

Supposedly second gen. DHP http://www.essenceoftea.co.uk/tea/oolong-tea/wuyi-yancha-rock-tea/2012-handmade-bei-dou-yi-hao-wuyi-yancha.html

Immortalitea- I am curious about your early 90s Yi Wu. Is it the 92 " YiWu" spring buds cake.
User avatar
gasninja
 
Posts: 618
Joined: Mar 10th, '
Location: Mount Zion

Re: Puerh with High Energy

Postby ImmortaliTEA » Nov 13th, '12, 18:18

gasninja wrote:Supposedly second gen. DHP http://www.essenceoftea.co.uk/tea/oolong-tea/wuyi-yancha-rock-tea/2012-handmade-bei-dou-yi-hao-wuyi-yancha.html

Immortalitea- I am curious about your early 90s Yi Wu. Is it the 92 " YiWu" spring buds cake.


No it's not its a Yiwu Beencha traditionally stored in HK (was plastic-wrapped inside a box when i got it) that I got from a friend who is from there and brought it back for me. I believe it is a Changtai Factory but not positive on the actual Cake's name. It is one of the most wonderfully smooth & exceptional aged shengs I've ever had. It is absolutely overflowing with granny face powder and loaded with layer upon layer of deep earthy complexity. It is second only to the 1985 8582 from MTR so far in my journey through the wonderful world of aged Sheng. I must ask him to get me a tong if he goes back there.
User avatar
ImmortaliTEA
 
Posts: 227
Joined: Apr 12th, '
Location: Sunrise, FL

Re: Puerh with High Energy

Postby bagua7 » Nov 18th, '12, 01:34

.
Last edited by bagua7 on Nov 16th, '13, 20:38, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
bagua7
 
Posts: 1241
Joined: Jul 21st, '

PreviousNext

Instant Messenger

Permissions
You cannot post new topics
You cannot reply to topics
You cannot edit your posts
You cannot delete your posts
You cannot post attachments
Navigation