Auntie Newbie says hello.

Please introduce yourself here to our membership

Auntie Newbie says hello.

Postby Auntie Medwyn » Dec 30th, '07, 20:57

Hello everyone. I've just joined (after a friend of mine pointed me to this site and after I read through many of the posts). It seems like a place where I can learn a lot.

I'm a lover of good tea, coffee, books, art, conversation, and martinis. Also, I'm a scientist and an herb gardener (which goes well with tea).

That's it for now, but I'm looking forward to this new tea dimension!

Auntie
Auntie Medwyn

Postby PolyhymnianMuse » Dec 30th, '07, 21:27

Welcome! :)

What kind of scientist and an herb gardener are you? lol
PolyhymnianMuse

Postby Chip » Dec 30th, '07, 21:49

Judging by all that I can see, I would say, she is a bioinformatics scientist. Just a guess! :idea:

Anyway, welcome to TeaChat Auntie, stick around and enlighten us, but please don't stick it to the man here, he is really a decent guy.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Ed » Dec 30th, '07, 22:34

Aww, thanks Chip!

...you're a nice guy too! :)

Welcome, Auntie!
Ed

Postby hop_goblin » Dec 30th, '07, 22:43

Welcome Auntie! I believe you will certainly learn a lot in these forums!
hop_goblin

Postby Wesli » Dec 30th, '07, 22:47

Hey there Medwyn.
Wesli

Postby TheSteamyPot » Dec 30th, '07, 23:13

Yes, Welcome from a fellow newbie :)
TheSteamyPot

Postby Auntie Medwyn » Dec 31st, '07, 04:26

Chip wrote:Judging by all that I can see, I would say, she is a bioinformatics scientist. Just a guess! :idea:

Anyway, welcome to TeaChat Auntie, stick around and enlighten us, but please don't stick it to the man here, he is really a decent guy.

Zow Chip! You must be psychic! :o Or ... wait a minute ... did you happen to swing by the ol' myspace page??

Yes, I now manage biomathematicians in a Bioinformatics division, but I was trained as a Medical Microbiologist. And it's every bit as exciting as it sounds. :wink:

But don't hold all that against me. After all - I also grow tea herbs and, you know, drink tea. So I've got that going for me.

Thanks for the welcome.

Auntie
Auntie Medwyn

Postby Auntie Medwyn » Dec 31st, '07, 04:33

PolyhymnianMuse wrote:Welcome! :)

What kind of scientist and an herb gardener are you? lol

Hello Polyhymnia,
Thanks for the welcome. How are your eight sisters?

I'm a microbiologist working for a biotech company. I manage the bioinformatics division.

But the herb gardening is much more interesting. I grow culinary and medicinal herbs, usually between 30-60 varieties each year (I have to try something new every year to experiment on). My favorite tea herbs are anise hyssop, lemon verbena, spearmint and borage flower. In fact, adding borage flowers to any iced drink is a really good idea. They even work in martinis. And they taste good on salads as well.

Good ol' herbs. You just can't beat 'em. I'm going to eventually try my hand at Camellia sinensis although I don't think I have the best climate for it. Still - gotta give it the old college try.

Thanks again for the welcome!
Auntie
Auntie Medwyn

Postby Auntie Medwyn » Dec 31st, '07, 04:36

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. I'm very excited to find this place. It seems to be packed to the brim with info and experience. I think I'll zoom on over to White Tea and see what I can learn!

Auntie Medwyn
Auntie Medwyn

Postby skywarrior » Dec 31st, '07, 13:15

Welcome Auntie!
skywarrior

Location: Somewhere in the wilds of Montana, but never without a teacup.

Postby Trey Winston » Jan 1st, '08, 12:40

Welcome, Auntie Medwyn :D

So... what exactly do biomathematicians do?
Trey Winston

Postby fightingdestiny » Jan 1st, '08, 14:54

Welcome, Auntie!
I love herb gardening, too. I even found a way to combine my tea interest with my gardening interest by growing tea (camilla sinensis) plants. The only downside is that they take a few years to grow large enough to actually yield proper tea leaves...
fightingdestiny

Postby Auntie Medwyn » Jan 1st, '08, 23:27

fightingdestiny wrote:Welcome, Auntie!
I love herb gardening, too. I even found a way to combine my tea interest with my gardening interest by growing tea (camilla sinensis) plants. The only downside is that they take a few years to grow large enough to actually yield proper tea leaves...

Excellent! I've been looking for someone who's grown this stuff! I'm going to give it a try this spring. We need to start a thread on this cuz I need some advice. Let me look around for the proper place ... or maybe there's already one going.

Be right back,
Auntie
Auntie Medwyn

Postby Auntie Medwyn » Jan 1st, '08, 23:32

Trey Winston wrote:Welcome, Auntie Medwyn :D

So... what exactly do biomathematicians do?

Thanks for the welcome, Trey. Biomath people take biological data, model it mathematically, and create algorithms for software so that people in labs can run samples through our machines and the instrument will use the algorithm to determine what a patient is infected with and what antibiotic is best for treatment. We also do tons of statistics for setting specifications for manufacturing biological products ....zzzzzzz....oh sorry, I even put myself to sleep. :wink:

It's actually pretty fun - in a disturbingly geeky way - once you get used to combing the FDA outta your hair every waking minute.

Auntie
Auntie Medwyn

Next

Instant Messenger

Permissions