[SOLVED] Cheap everyday sencha


Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Re: [SOLVED] Cheap everyday sencha

Postby edkrueger » Nov 10th, '12, 16:47

A tip on the YMY Sencha. It will taste much better if you brew it at 100c for 30 seconds. Lower grade sencha will just be grassy at lower temperatures.
User avatar
edkrueger
 
Posts: 1693
Joined: Jun 24th, '

Re: [SOLVED] Cheap everyday sencha

Postby Chip » Nov 10th, '12, 17:00

Yes, Iannon passed away suddenly in mid September. He was 43. There is a topic under Teaware and Accessories where you can post. http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17742

I am truly glad you found a sencha that will work for you. I hold no grudges against Upton ... but it was time for me to move on.

Just a word of caution. They may not store their sencha in ideal conditions. Therefore what you buy today might not be the "same" as what you buy down the road. Plus they may change lots, suppliers between purchases.

So, enjoy while you can! :idea: :mrgreen: :arrow:
User avatar
Chip
Mod/Admin
 
Posts: 22207
Joined: Apr 22nd, '
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

Re: [SOLVED] Cheap everyday sencha

Postby ethan » Nov 10th, '12, 20:49

Sencha, I started buying from Upton several years ago & offer the following advice: Don't be shy to contact them for advice; their most popular offers are often drunk by people who use milk &/or sweeteners w/ their tea; w/ flat-fee shipping it pays to load up on a lot of samples.
I'm broke, but learned good tea is good for multiple infusions w/o milk; it does not cost so much to drink.
ethan
 
Posts: 495
Joined: May 27th, '
Location: Boston, MA 2/3; Thailand 1/3

Re: [SOLVED] Cheap everyday sencha

Postby sencha » Nov 15th, '12, 19:01

edkrueger wrote:A tip on the YMY Sencha. It will taste much better if you brew it at 100c for 30 seconds. Lower grade sencha will just be grassy at lower temperatures.

I tried this and it didn't help. In fact, it was unpleasantly bitter with the same ugly taste. I think this is just a poor excuse for a sencha. Thanks anyway, though :) I think I'll just drink the rest as iced tea.

Chip wrote:I am truly glad you found a sencha that will work for you. I hold no grudges against Upton ... but it was time for me to move on.

Just a word of caution. They may not store their sencha in ideal conditions. Therefore what you buy today might not be the "same" as what you buy down the road. Plus they may change lots, suppliers between purchases.

What makes you think they don't store their sencha in ideal conditions? I completely understand that the tea may change over time, but at the current price, I'm willing to take the risk, as it's all I can afford.

Oh, and I just ran out of the sample of sencha :( Sipping the last cup as we speak...
User avatar
sencha
 
Posts: 111
Joined: Nov 21st, '
Location: Nirvana

Re: [SOLVED] Cheap everyday sencha

Postby JRS22 » Nov 15th, '12, 21:32

When I was still buying dromUpton I purchased a dozen empty sample tins. Now when I open a bag of a Japanese green I put it in these tins, 3 for 100g, and then put those 3 tins in a canister. This limits the amount of air that the tea is exposed to and keeps it fresher. I got the idea from one of Chip's postings a few years ago.
User avatar
JRS22
 
Posts: 1099
Joined: Nov 7th, '0

Re: [SOLVED] Cheap everyday sencha

Postby Chip » Nov 15th, '12, 23:15

... yeah I think the sample tins are the best thing Upton sells. :mrgreen: I use them to this day, like 10 years after I first purchased them.

sencha wrote:
Chip wrote:I am truly glad you found a sencha that will work for you. I hold no grudges against Upton ... but it was time for me to move on.

Just a word of caution. They may not store their sencha in ideal conditions. Therefore what you buy today might not be the "same" as what you buy down the road. Plus they may change lots, suppliers between purchases.

What makes you think they don't store their sencha in ideal conditions? I completely understand that the tea may change over time, but at the current price, I'm willing to take the risk, as it's all I can afford.

Oh, and I just ran out of the sample of sencha :( Sipping the last cup as we speak...

The most common complaint I have heard regarding Upton is the lack of freshness of their greens due to less than perfect storage and simply having open sencha around toooooo long (and less than great quality ... but that is another subject).

You can ask them, but I can bet you they do not cold store, have sencha-s open for a longggg time as they slowly fill orders, etc. I also believe from experience that they do not always have most current harvest which is pretty critical for sencha.

This compared to the ideal storage methods we have learned to appreciate most from our Japanese based vendors who do everything possible to keep their teas uber fresh throughout the harvest year.

I will be anxious to hear how your next purchase turns out, another issue with Upton is successive orders can be quite different from each other.

But as I stated, I truly hope it works out for you.
User avatar
Chip
Mod/Admin
 
Posts: 22207
Joined: Apr 22nd, '
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

Re: [SOLVED] Cheap everyday sencha

Postby sencha » Nov 16th, '12, 21:10

I'll probably end up ordering from Upton a few more times before I get enough money to afford the likes of Yukki-cha and Zencha. Since they don't specialize in Japanese teas, I'm sure you're entirely correct on everything you've said. Plus, I've noticed none of the greens I've gotten from Upton are shiny--which is a sign that they're not as fresh, correct?
User avatar
sencha
 
Posts: 111
Joined: Nov 21st, '
Location: Nirvana

Re: Chinese vs Japanese sencha

Postby sencha » Jun 15th, '13, 03:24

rdl wrote:if you were looking for pens for everyday use and went to a pen chat forum, i guess you would find out that it is not necessary to buy a $200 fountain pen when there are $40 pens out there that also work kind of well. probably you had in mind a package of 20 pens for $3.99.

I'm reading through this older thread that I started (to see if there are any vendors that might fit me better than Upton now that I have a little more money to spend), and I had to laugh at this again. I found it hilarious when I first read it, and now again. :lol:

rdl, you were right on on how I felt when I started this thread. 8)
User avatar
sencha
 
Posts: 111
Joined: Nov 21st, '
Location: Nirvana

Re: Chinese vs Japanese sencha

Postby sencha » Jun 15th, '13, 03:29

Chip wrote:BTW, I rarely buy more than 100 grams or 4 ounces of a green tea at a time.

Excellent advice. In my last purchase, I bought ~300 grams of Japanese sencha from Upton that I liked a lot, but half way through the second 100g bag, I was almost completely burnt out on the taste.
User avatar
sencha
 
Posts: 111
Joined: Nov 21st, '
Location: Nirvana

Previous

Instant Messenger

Permissions
You cannot post new topics
You cannot reply to topics
You cannot edit your posts
You cannot delete your posts
You cannot post attachments
Navigation