Shawn McGuire (GREENWOODSTUDIO)

Artisans share their Teaware Art.

Nov 6th, '12, 22:09

Re: Shawn McGuire (GREENWOODSTUDIO)

by AdamMY » Nov 6th, '12, 22:09

Shawn,
I would like to say thank you for being so nice and offering me the chance to have the pieces i created at a local art institute to ship off to you and get fired after they were bisque fired. They look amazing and really show off your excellent glazing and firing techniques, as I am sure if I glazed and fired them locally they would look no where near as nice.

Nov 8th, '12, 23:31

by GreenwoodStudio » Nov 8th, '12, 23:31

Your very welcome Adam. I'm looking forward to seeing some action shots :)

Here's one for today, the form on this one is a touch different then most of the others as it tapers-in slightly toward the rim making the floor of the bowl 5" while the rim is 4.25". It's 3.5" tall and weighs 412 g
kodai
interior
https://www.etsy.com/listing/114436514/ ... -iron-rich

Nov 10th, '12, 19:40

by GreenwoodStudio » Nov 10th, '12, 19:40

I need to make more of these little roasters. So fun controlling and experimenting with your own level of roast. It can turn a stale sencha into a delight! :mrgreen:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/114632600/ ... -stoneware

Nov 11th, '12, 12:37

by David R. » Nov 11th, '12, 12:37

Cool Halloween effect ! :wink:

Nov 16th, '12, 00:20

by GreenwoodStudio » Nov 16th, '12, 00:20

Another chawan from the firing. I LOVE woodfiring!!! :twisted:

This one measures 5.25"w x 3.5"t and weighs 474g
interior
kodai
https://www.etsy.com/listing/115188943/ ... -iron-rich

Nov 16th, '12, 09:01

by JRS22 » Nov 16th, '12, 09:01

GreenwoodStudio wrote:I need to make more of these little roasters. So fun controlling and experimenting with your own level of roast. It can turn a stale sencha into a delight! :mrgreen:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/114632600/ ... -stoneware
Please make more - this one sold the next day before I could make a decision. Darn Superstorm Sandy for taking my mind off teaware!

Nov 20th, '12, 19:12
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Nov 20th, '12, 19:12

The unusual pieces from this firing did not so much appeal to me at first, but they realllly grew on me ... fast. A nice big box arrived from Greenwood a few days ago ... weee!

Photos to come ...

Nov 25th, '12, 17:05

by GreenwoodStudio » Nov 25th, '12, 17:05

You have a nice collection of the new stuff Chip :lol: I'm glad your making friends with them :D

I'm offering a special discount for all you TeaChat folks for "Cyber Monday", now through mid-night tomorrow. 20% off all items in my shop when you use coupon code TEACHATTER when you check out. Thanks for all your support over the years :D

Here's a nice chawan, freshly photographed
More views here
https://www.etsy.com/listing/116171565/ ... -iron-rich

Nov 25th, '12, 21:22

by Chip » Nov 25th, '12, 21:22

GreenwoodStudio wrote:You have a nice collection of the new stuff Chip :lol: I'm glad your making friends with them :D

I'm offering a special discount for all you TeaChat folks for "Cyber Monday", now through mid-night tomorrow. 20% off all items in my shop when you use coupon code TEACHATTER when you check out. Thanks for all your support over the years :D
Took our time opening the new "preciouses." I purchased just about every size of the unusual ... hmmm, not sure what to even call these, I seem to get the feeling that they could lift off if rotated fast enough ... like a flying saucer thingee.

So, after "test flying" one, I can say these are really nice to look at, but the exagerated feetsies and the "ridge" make for really a nice cup to hold.

And Sencha tasted quite right and tasty in it. I will say this, after initial rinse in hot water, actually dipping and pouring a few times in a cooking pot full of pretty hot water, there was a pretty assertive clay aroma. So, I did soak it in the pot for just a bit which took care of this.

But two thumbs up on this unusual style from Shawn who likes to innovate. :mrgreen:

Pictures to come ...

Nov 25th, '12, 23:48

by GreenwoodStudio » Nov 25th, '12, 23:48

I'm picturing Chip in a tin-foil hat slurping sencha out of flying saucer cups right now :lol:

I notice the clay scent on the first few uses too. The clay I used for a good bit of my work this time was a different then my usual claybodies. It's really dense or something, I'm not actually sure how to describe the feel of it. I have a friend who uses it a good bit for sculpture (Check out his work here, which is uber-cool!! http://www.artaxis.org/ceramics/keena_s ... keena.html ) and he describes it as "having bones" :? That term seems to fit I think. I like the way it takes shino.

Dec 7th, '12, 15:55

by GreenwoodStudio » Dec 7th, '12, 15:55

THE FIRST EVER APOCALYPTIC END OF THE WORLD POTTERY SALE

There will be gnashing of teeth. There will be bleeding of genitals. There will be crying of children. There will be flaming vampire skulls.

THERE WILL BE DISCOUNTED TEAWARE!

Some of you scoff. Some of you say: "Hogwash!" "Bologna!" "Poppycock!" "Outdated, Over-the-Top Expletive!"

Well, scoff if you must, but you can't deny the simple fact that all the signs of the Apocalypse have already surfaced. Giant hurricanes, political unrest, a global economic meltdown, that Honey Boo-Boo show, earthquakes, MEN drinking Berry Basil Blast white tea...yes, I'm afraid it is already upon us.

The Mayan, the Hopi Indians, the Mesopotamians, and the Vikings; these were ALL ancient civilizations...

What will you do on your final night as a living human? How will you seek spiritual shelter? The answer folks, my teaware. That's right, for a limited time I'm infusing each piece of my pottery with the talismanic power necessary to protect you while the death hawks are falling from the crimson skies. These finely crafted ceramics (and after the night is through, possibly the world's only ceramics) are personally guaranteed to have the magical fortitude to protect you from the eternal torment of Lucifer's dominion!

Delight in your sencha's umami with one of my guinomi as the the Four Horseman ascend upon the earth!

Enjoy your matcha in one of my peaceful chawan while you ignore the screams of the innocent running for their lives in the streets just outside your tearoom!

Marvel at the warm feel of my yunomi, and not the hell fire that engulfs the world outside!

Safely brew a lengthy session of your favorite pu erh while there are earthquakes that swallow sinners all around you.

The possibilities are endless if you act, the consequences are eternal if you don't.

Oh, and it's Christmas!

You can insure your survival here http://www.GREENWOODSTUDIO.Etsy.com saving your soul and 15%! Use coupon code "HELLHOUNDS" at checkout, now until The End (Dec. 21st)

Thanks and good luck to you all....

Dec 7th, '12, 17:42

by JBaymore » Dec 7th, '12, 17:42

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Dec 7th, '12, 18:40

by Chip » Dec 7th, '12, 18:40

... hrmmm ... what about the pieces I just purchased and received ... can you send some of that magic long distance???

Dec 7th, '12, 22:05

by GreenwoodStudio » Dec 7th, '12, 22:05

Sorry Chip, but my virginity was just recently sacrificed in order to make this amazing power possible. You'll just have to buy more :wink: :lol:

Dec 8th, '12, 02:46

by minor_glitch » Dec 8th, '12, 02:46

So your virginity went into the cup I just ordered? Remind me to wash it first... :?

+ Post Reply