Starbucks to Buy Teavana

For general/other topics related to tea.

Nov 16th, '12, 10:45
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Starbucks to Buy Teavana

by Chip » Nov 16th, '12, 10:45

JRS22 wrote:
Chip wrote:Thing is, Starbucks keeps them coming back over and over over.

I cannot imagine Teavana keeps 'em coming back for more than a few times, instead squeezing everything they can get from each customer walking through the door (for fear they may never return?) instead of looking for the long term relationship.

Two rather divergent strategies.
I've always assumed that Teavana tea was better than supermarket tea bags so if someone wasn't accustomed to doing research online they could be satisfied with Teavana tea. Just a guess because I've never been in one of their stores - not after reading about them here!
... thing is, so many have fallen victim to walking in thinking they would just pick up some healthy tea ... perhaps part of a life changing event (heaven help them if they disclose that they are new to tea), and $200 or more later wandering out of the store in shock wondering what just happened.

And then later they may realize, you know this so called "best teapot in the world for brewing tea" tetsubin really sux at making tea.

Suddenly tea does not taste so good ... perhaps.

We may drop $200 on tea or wares, but we have the benefit of time in making worthy decisions. :mrgreen:

And yet, Teavana built this huge tea empire and made a fortune in the process. My initial reaction to the news was a literal gag reflex ... but now I don't know what to think. :roll:

Nov 16th, '12, 12:20

by dzrogers » Nov 16th, '12, 12:20

Not a fan of Starbucks + Not a fan of Teavana = meh...

Nov 19th, '12, 00:22

by zencha » Nov 19th, '12, 00:22

... in the 24 hours after the deal was announced on Wednesday, the value of Starbucks fell by about $1bn.

About the acquisition Starbucks CEO said “the romance and theater of the retail experience that is the heart and soul of Starbucks heritage, will create a differentiated customer experience" .

Andrew Mack, ceo and co-founder of Teavana, who has committed to staying and leading Teavana’s day-to-day operations said ,
“By contributing deep tea expertise, global sourcing capabilities and a passion for the category that is second to none in our industry, we believe we can deliver an elevated tea experience together with Starbucks ” .

And Jeff Hansberry, who is to run the new subsidiary said the deal will “create a rich ecosystem of experiences with shared values ... and a differentiated health and wellness offering in the marketplace”.

Nov 19th, '12, 00:25

by Chip » Nov 19th, '12, 00:25

... <gags again> ... :roll:

Nov 19th, '12, 06:52

by Drax » Nov 19th, '12, 06:52

Oh well, it was nice to dream there for a day or two...

Nov 19th, '12, 10:48

by Neist » Nov 19th, '12, 10:48

Drax wrote:Oh well, it was nice to dream there for a day or two...
Yup, any hopes I had were dashed. :lol:

Nov 24th, '12, 08:21

by needaTEAcher » Nov 24th, '12, 08:21

http://www.ajc.com/news/business/teavan ... tan/nTDRr/

Kills me how Teavana is represented. Kills me more that my dad sent me this article (not ironically). Kills me the most that when I try to talk to my uncle (super into tea long before I was born) about tea, he gets all excited about his newest Teavana aquisitions. *sigh

Nov 26th, '12, 10:30

by Devoted135 » Nov 26th, '12, 10:30

Interesting article, Teavana really does look good on paper, doesn't it? I did like this line about 75% of the way through the article however:
Some ex-employees have complained of a harsh corporate culture, and one took to the Internet to describe overly aggressive sales goals and tough grading systems.
Methinks that's the almost 40page thread of doom here! :shock:

Nov 26th, '12, 10:55

by Chip » Nov 26th, '12, 10:55

Devoted135 wrote:Interesting article, Teavana really does look good on paper, doesn't it? I did like this line about 75% of the way through the article however:
Some ex-employees have complained of a harsh corporate culture, and one took to the Internet to describe overly aggressive sales goals and tough grading systems.
Methinks that's the almost 40page thread of doom here! :shock:
Quite possibly ... that topic shows up very high on google searches for Teavana. (last time I looked it was almost right under the actual Teavana sites/facebook/twitter, etc) :shock:

But I also suspect that ex employees are also using any other online (or other) means available to them. :lol:

And yet, Andy is running all the way to the bank, assuming the deal goes through. It would be wild if it fell through.

It is a mad world ...

Nov 27th, '12, 20:35

by sherubtse » Nov 27th, '12, 20:35

Here is an interesting view from someone in the industry:

http://www.sevencups.com/2012/11/starbu ... ality-tea/

Best wishes,
sherubtse

Nov 27th, '12, 20:52

by Chip » Nov 27th, '12, 20:52

... BUT could it be a moot point ...

http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... &start=570

If the Glaucus report is factual, I cannot expect the deal to go through. The report is ... sickening, revolting!!! If I was drinking their tea ... I would be throwing up and calling a lawyer.

Here is the report.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1019431 ... des-in-tea

The text is interesting, but keeping in mind the context (Glaucus is short on Teavana which they readily admit), I think the actual data is mindblowing.

Nov 28th, '12, 10:29

by Chip » Nov 28th, '12, 10:29

Hark ... I think I hear Mack's 300 million dollar payday going down the tubes ... ? :mrgreen:

Or was that the sinking hearts of thousands and thousands of customers who bought into Teavana tea for better health? :( (how long will it take for class action lawsuits to begin)

Nov 28th, '12, 16:35

by beecrofter » Nov 28th, '12, 16:35

Hmm my first thought on this news was Lapsang Souchong to go with their badly over-roasted coffee beans.

Nov 28th, '12, 19:47

by needaTEAcher » Nov 28th, '12, 19:47

beecrofter wrote:Hmm my first thought on this news was Lapsang Souchong to go with their badly over-roasted coffee beans.
Are we talking blends here? Could be on to something......

Nov 29th, '12, 00:18

by nrstooge » Nov 29th, '12, 00:18

I 2nd the bad over roasted coffee beans of Starbucks/Seattle's Best are horrid and bitter - can't drink it unless it is like a mocha with lots of milk/sugar added to camoflauge the bitter after taste of their coffees. And I haven't been inside a Teavanna since the last time they kept trying to sell me more than what I asked for.. finally got her to stop by saying that was all that was in the budget.. ugh... never again.. :evil:

+ Post Reply