Shanghai Teashops

Culture, language, tangibles, intangibles from countries known for tea. China, Japan, Taiwan, Korea, India, etc...

Dec 2nd, '12, 09:52

Shanghai Teashops

by needaTEAcher » Dec 2nd, '12, 09:52

Anyone know any good tea shops particularly for teaware, in Shanghai? Any good districts?

Not tea houses where I pay 60rmb to sit for an hour and try one or two teas, but rather somewhere we can buy decent teapots!

Thanks!

Dec 2nd, '12, 13:18

Re: Shanghai Teashops

by wyardley » Dec 2nd, '12, 13:18

It's been a while, but I'd stop by one or more of the "tea cities". When I was there 5 years ago, Tianshan was the main one [address in link below]. I think there are some new ones. I put the address for another one in this post too, though haven't been.

http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?p=194842#p194842

Would also suggest having a read of Jason's report from last year.
http://puerh.blogspot.com/2011/04/china ... -2011.html

My main advice is... skip the tea shops outside those districts (unless someone knowledgeable has a specific recommendation), as they're mostly for tourists. And do bargain for prices.

Dec 2nd, '12, 21:52

by needaTEAcher » Dec 2nd, '12, 21:52

Thanks Wyardly, as always. I very much appreciate the input. Heading out tomorrow. Today is a lazy day of rest.

May 26th, '15, 14:41

by wyardley » May 26th, '15, 14:41

Just was in Shanghai for 3 weeks. Went to Tianshan as well as Laoximen tea markets (didn't get to any of the others). I found quite a few shops selling both Wuyi yancha and Wuyi area red teas (zhengshan xiaozhong, jinjunmei). So, compared to Jason's last report and some posts on Sanzui, I was pleasantly surprised to find some yancha to buy, and I think I managed to get a few decent ones.

Lots of shops selling pu'er (younger in most cases, though some shops had older stuff), but didn't have the time, energy, or money to delve too deep.

+ Post Reply