Dec 4th, '12, 11:02

Please help me verify this teapot's clay

by lamppost » Dec 4th, '12, 11:02

I bought this low fired teapot last week but has trouble verifying its clay. From the below pictures, viewers can tell that the teapots has sandy texture; however, it has a smooth skin but not so glossy.

Please share your opinions.
Thanks

Dec 4th, '12, 16:24

Re: Please help me verify this teapot's clay

by ImmortaliTEA » Dec 4th, '12, 16:24

lamppost wrote:I bought this low fired teapot last week but has trouble verifying its clay. From the below pictures, viewers can tell that the teapots has sandy texture; however, it has a smooth skin but not so glossy.

Thanks

I am a sucker for this shape its one of my favorites. The clay looks nice and sandy to my eyes which indicates something in the Zi Sha/Zi Ni family perhaps either Aged Zi Ni or Pin Zi Ni. It could also be low fired Qing Shui Ni but my examples of that are usually slightly more red!

Dec 4th, '12, 16:28
Vendor Member

by TIM » Dec 4th, '12, 16:28

lamppost wrote:I bought this low fired teapot last week but has trouble verifying its clay. From the below pictures, viewers can tell that the teapots has sandy texture; however, it has a smooth skin but not so glossy.

Thanks

Nice pot. Under 90ml? Really great material. Care to tell us more? Where its from and other information? Cheers ~ T

Dec 4th, '12, 17:51

by ImmortaliTEA » Dec 4th, '12, 17:51

TIM wrote:

Thanks

Nice pot. Under 90ml? Really great material. Care to tell us more? Where its from and other information? Cheers ~ T
Tim,
Do you know the name of this shape? It's one of my favorites and have always wanted to know the name. Thanks!

Dec 4th, '12, 19:29

by lamppost » Dec 4th, '12, 19:29

Hi TIM and ImmortaliTEA,

Thank you for replying to my post.

I bought the teapot from Daniel (http://www.thechineseteashop.com). I asked Daniel to find for me a real zhisa clay teapot that I could use to brew my aged puerh, and within few weeks of searching, Daniel sent me this teapot. According to my cooking measurement, the teapot volume is 100 ml (95 ml with the it lid on.) Its pouring time is less than 7 secs (single hole.)

So far, I have good results with this teapot, and it retains heat very well.

RE: It could also be low fired Qing Shui Ni but my examples of that are usually slightly more red!

At first, I had the same thought. But after reviewing all the pictures from TeaChat, I have not seen a Qing Shui Ni teapot that has the similar color or texture to mine.

RE: Do you know the name of this shape?
I think it is called "Palace Lamp" in English.

BTW, could you guys read the Chinese characters?

Thanks again.
L.

Dec 4th, '12, 20:07

by ImmortaliTEA » Dec 4th, '12, 20:07

lamppost wrote:Hi TIM and ImmortaliTEA,

Thank you for replying to my post.

I bought the teapot from Daniel (http://www.thechineseteashop.com). I asked Daniel to find for me a real zhisa clay teapot that I could use to brew my aged puerh, and within few weeks of searching, Daniel sent me this teapot. According to my cooking measurement, the teapot volume is 100 ml (95 ml with the it lid on.) Its pouring time is less than 7 secs (single hole.)

So far, I have good results with this teapot, and it retains heat very well.

RE: It could also be low fired Qing Shui Ni but my examples of that are usually slightly more red!

At first, I had the same thought. But after reviewing all the pictures from TeaChat, I have not seen a Qing Shui Ni teapot that has the similar color or texture to mine.

RE: Do you know the name of this shape?
I think it is called "Palace Lamp" in English.

BTW, could you guys read the Chinese characters?

Thanks again.
L.
Does this look at all like your clay?

Dec 4th, '12, 20:38

by lamppost » Dec 4th, '12, 20:38

No, mine has a light brown purple. You can see from my second picture. Your teapot's clay texture is some what similar

Dec 5th, '12, 03:20

by wyardley » Dec 5th, '12, 03:20

Pot looks very nice to me.

I think palace lamp would literally be palace lamp - 宫灯 (gōng dēng). Searching for 宫灯壶 brings up some similar shapes.

The "cannon" spout is often a feature of julunzhu style pots. According to an Art of Tea article, this is because in the past, the Chinese market preferred narrow, more refined spouts with a slow pour, but the Japanese preferred pots with a shorter and wider spout.

So it's possible that this pot made for export to Japan, or imitating a style made for export to Japan.
Last edited by wyardley on Dec 5th, '12, 14:45, edited 1 time in total.

Dec 5th, '12, 04:12

by MarshalN » Dec 5th, '12, 04:12

This is a newer pot, not made for Japan, I think. The lid is not quite orthodox julunzhu. I think I have two pots that are like this in clay - I find them to be heavy.

Dec 5th, '12, 04:41

by lamppost » Dec 5th, '12, 04:41

Thank you for the input;

the teapot has a thin/medium wall; however, it is heavier then other yixing teapots that I have.

BTW, do you any clue about the teapot's clay?

Dec 5th, '12, 04:51

by MarshalN » Dec 5th, '12, 04:51

lamppost wrote:Thank you for the input;

the teapot has a thin/medium wall; however, it is heavier then other yixing teapots that I have.

BTW, do you any clue about the teapot's clay?
Not really, nor do I think it makes much of a difference, personally. Is it quite rough in texture?

Dec 5th, '12, 05:04

by lamppost » Dec 5th, '12, 05:04

RE: Is it quite rough in texture?

Grading from 1 to 10 scale, I would say it is at 3.5 or 4.

Dec 5th, '12, 05:19

by MarshalN » Dec 5th, '12, 05:19

Is 1 or 10 rough?

Dec 5th, '12, 05:25

by lamppost » Dec 5th, '12, 05:25

1 (smooth) - 10 (rough)

Dec 5th, '12, 14:46

by wyardley » Dec 5th, '12, 14:46

MarshalN wrote:This is a newer pot, not made for Japan, I think. The lid is not quite orthodox julunzhu.
Yeah, I wasn't suggesting that it was that old, or that it's exactly a julunzhu pot, just that the spout and some other features are similar. I like the shape quite a bit.

+ Post Reply