Tea Essence or Tea Cream

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Dec 12th, '12, 00:22
Vendor Member

Re: Tea Essence or Tea Cream

by jayinhk » Dec 12th, '12, 00:22

To me, this stuff falls between low-grade shu and the worst minu-tuos. I think I'd pass ;)

Dec 12th, '12, 00:38

by Tead Off » Dec 12th, '12, 00:38

jayinhk wrote:To me, this stuff falls between low-grade shu and the worst minu-tuos. I think I'd pass ;)
I wouldn't even put it in those categories. The only thing it can be compared to are vitamins/supplements. It has nothing to do with the taste and aroma of real tea leaves. I was originally curious as to how this has been accepted into the tea world. We see supplements like catechins, instant matcha, etc., that do have an effect that can be felt. Drinking the Tea Essence, you can feel an effect immediately, but this cannot be equated with the process of brewing your own tea. It's really a different thing altogether. There always seems to be a market for things like this.

Dec 12th, '12, 00:46

Tea Essence or Tea Cream

by Exempt » Dec 12th, '12, 00:46

Black dragon tea bar did a review on one of these jelly bricks and it actually wasn't as awful as everyone is making it sound. Of course this is a different brand and just one opinion but I though I'd share
http://blackdragonteabar.blogspot.com/2 ... k.html?m=1

Dec 12th, '12, 06:39

by MarshalN » Dec 12th, '12, 06:39

Exempt wrote:Black dragon tea bar did a review on one of these jelly bricks and it actually wasn't as awful as everyone is making it sound. Of course this is a different brand and just one opinion but I though I'd share
http://blackdragonteabar.blogspot.com/2 ... k.html?m=1
Indeed, but again, the point is - you really have no idea, whatsoever, of what's in this stuff.

Given that this is produced in China, the land of dodgy food items, the last thing you need is a mystery paste that tastes sort of tea-ish. At least I can identify the tea leaves and know the kind of poisons that can be in it.

Dec 12th, '12, 21:10
Vendor Member

by TwoDog2 » Dec 12th, '12, 21:10

Exempt wrote:Black dragon tea bar did a review on one of these jelly bricks and it actually wasn't as awful as everyone is making it sound.
It's not that they are awful, but most people on this forum are probably used to drinking things in a different weight-class

Dec 12th, '12, 22:06

Tea Essence or Tea Cream

by Exempt » Dec 12th, '12, 22:06

TwoDog2 wrote:
Exempt wrote:Black dragon tea bar did a review on one of these jelly bricks and it actually wasn't as awful as everyone is making it sound.
It's not that they are awful, but most people on this forum are probably used to drinking things in a different weight-class
Ya I understand. I would never drink it I just thought I should share the perspective of someone that's actually had some.

Dec 12th, '12, 22:28

by MarshalN » Dec 12th, '12, 22:28

Exempt wrote:
TwoDog2 wrote:
Ya I understand. I would never drink it I just thought I should share the perspective of someone that's actually had some.
I've had some before, not this brand though. Tead Off's picture makes his look really hard - like hard candy, for some reason, whereas the ones I've seen are softer, more like soft jelly

Dec 12th, '12, 22:49

by Tead Off » Dec 12th, '12, 22:49

MarshalN wrote:
Exempt wrote:
TwoDog2 wrote:
I've had some before, not this brand though. Tead Off's picture makes his look really hard - like hard candy, for some reason, whereas the ones I've seen are softer, more like soft jelly
It is hard and seems to melt slowly in hot water. Definitely not a jelly but not as hard as hard candy. I imagine there are variations on the theme.

Dec 13th, '12, 02:39
Vendor Member

by TwoDog2 » Dec 13th, '12, 02:39

They are two different types, but basically the same thing - I have some that are like what Tead Off has here. They are hard like a nugget, more dense than a bar of soap. When you pour boiling water on a small amount, it dissolves slowly. They are wrapped in gold foil, like a little candy. I pity the poor person who accidentally eats one. They look like a throat lozenge.

Dec 13th, '12, 19:53
Scrolling: scrolling

by Drax » Dec 13th, '12, 19:53

TwoDog2 wrote:I pity the poor person who accidentally eats one. They look like a throat lozenge.
:lol: Yikes!

The difference in hardness is probably just a matter of how much water was removed in the reduction -- remove more water, and the jelly will become harder.

Dec 13th, '12, 20:30
Vendor Member

by TwoDog2 » Dec 13th, '12, 20:30

Drax wrote:
TwoDog2 wrote:I pity the poor person who accidentally eats one. They look like a throat lozenge.
:lol: Yikes!

The difference in hardness is probably just a matter of how much water was removed in the reduction -- remove more water, and the jelly will become harder.

That sounds right.

The lozenge type is very highly concentrated. Scraping off a small chunk is enough to make a cup

Dec 14th, '12, 02:23

by Tead Off » Dec 14th, '12, 02:23

Opened up one of the sheng lozenges. This one was like hard, shiny candy. More aroma and flavor than the shu cha. Not satisfying at all. I would never buy this stuff.

Dec 14th, '12, 04:39
Vendor Member

by TwoDog2 » Dec 14th, '12, 04:39

Tead Off wrote:Opened up one of the sheng lozenges. This one was like hard, shiny candy. More aroma and flavor than the shu cha. Not satisfying at all. I would never buy this stuff.
This reaction is closer to my own :lol:

The shu is much more palatable - still, not great.

Here is a question:

You have a choice between tea bags and these tea lozenges, which do you take? (say you are in a hotel for an overnight and forget to pack anything better, the hotel mysteriously offers all 4 options. And the hotel is haunted)

I'd go with the lozenge for shu and bags for sheng.

Dec 14th, '12, 21:58

by Tead Off » Dec 14th, '12, 21:58

TwoDog2 wrote:
Tead Off wrote:Opened up one of the sheng lozenges. This one was like hard, shiny candy. More aroma and flavor than the shu cha. Not satisfying at all. I would never buy this stuff.
This reaction is closer to my own :lol:

The shu is much more palatable - still, not great.

Here is a question:

You have a choice between tea bags and these tea lozenges, which do you take? (say you are in a hotel for an overnight and forget to pack anything better, the hotel mysteriously offers all 4 options. And the hotel is haunted)
I'll pass on all of them. :D

I'd go with the lozenge for shu and bags for sheng.
I'll pass on all of them. :D

+ Post Reply