Dec 21st, '12, 19:07

Mixing tea with yixings

by Hannah » Dec 21st, '12, 19:07

Ok so I'm making this thread at the risk of making purists and yixing aficionados cringe (sorry!) but it's just something that had crossed my mind whilst making some TGY with breakfast this morning.

Have any of you ever had a yixing dedicated to a certain tea and then on occasion made another tea in it? eg, shui xian yancha in a pot dedicated to high fired TGY?
I'm wondering if this would either:

A: bring something unique and special to the brew (on the good side if lucky)
or
B: ruin the seasoned pot for future 'pure' brews
(or perhaps both...?)

I'm curious to try it, but at the same time, I'm worried about 'tainting' my little mou lu ni.. And getting a lecture from Tim in the process :lol:

Would love to hear some success/failure stories on this if they exist!

Dec 21st, '12, 19:14

Re: Mixing tea with yixings

by wyardley » Dec 21st, '12, 19:14

I don't think doing it once or twice (even more than that) will really make any kind of noticeable difference. In fact, experimenting with a pot is the only way you're likely to find out if there's a tea that the pot works with particularly well. Also, the teas you're talking about in your example are already in the same general category, so using the same pot for them shouldn't be a big deal.

I would avoid brewing, say, a flower scented tea or artificially flavored tea in a Yixing pot, especially one dedicated to another tea, but other than that, I don't think it will make much difference.
Last edited by wyardley on Dec 21st, '12, 19:15, edited 1 time in total.

Dec 21st, '12, 19:15

by ImmortaliTEA » Dec 21st, '12, 19:15

Hannah wrote:Ok so I'm making this thread at the risk of making purists and yixing aficionados cringe (sorry!) but it's just something that had crossed my mind whilst making some TGY with breakfast this morning.

Have any of you ever had a yixing dedicated to a certain tea and then on occasion made another tea in it? eg, shui xian yancha in a pot dedicated to high fired TGY?
I'm wondering if this would either:

A: bring something unique and special to the brew (on the good side if lucky)
or
B: ruin the seasoned pot for future 'pure' brews
(or perhaps both...?)

I'm curious to try it, but at the same time, I'm worried about 'tainting' my little mou lu ni.. And getting a lecture from Tim in the process :lol:

Would love to hear some success/failure stories on this if they exist!
In my experience if you use teas that are relatively similar (in terms of oxidation and roasting degree) in the same yixing you should be just fine. In fact, if I remember correctly, either TJ or B (perhaps both) use the little blue for High Fired Anxi TGY OR Similarly high fired Yan Cha (Shui Xian). With that said, I definitely would never ever brew a light roasted Shui Xian in one of my high fired Yan Cha pots so I hope that helps a little. Also if you do happen to mess up and dont like how the pot is developing you can always re-boil the pot for at least one hour probably closer to 2 to bring it back to what I call "the uncarved block" or clean slate!

Dec 21st, '12, 19:16

by wyardley » Dec 21st, '12, 19:16

And, think of it this way. After rinsing out even the most porous of Yixing with hot water, you will almost never notice the fragrance of tea in there, even after brewing tea in it many, many times.

Dec 21st, '12, 20:43
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Dec 21st, '12, 20:43

Agree with the above: I use both TGY and SX in the same pot. I just tested it with a blend of shu and sheng pu erh out of curiosity--a good rinse and there won't be any pu aroma left whatsoever (none that I'll be able to detect anyway).

+ Post Reply