Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!


Discussion on virtually any teaware related item.

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

Postby tingjunkie » Dec 29th, '12, 00:44

Wow. Thanks bagua, that offers a lot of insight. I'd love to run some informal experiments on your theory, just for the fun of it. :wink:
User avatar
tingjunkie
 
Posts: 1373
Joined: Jul 8th, '0
Location: NYC

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

Postby TIM » Dec 29th, '12, 01:09

tingjunkie wrote:Wow. Thanks bagua, that offers a lot of insight. I'd love to run some informal experiments on your theory, just for the fun of it. :wink:


wow wow!
User avatar
TIM
Vendor Member
 
Posts: 2042
Joined: Apr 4th, '0
Location: NYC

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

Postby gasninja » Dec 29th, '12, 01:44

I am curious as to whether a pot made from aged clay would be considered in your (or your teachers) mind mature enough to handle the qi of an aged tea or does the pot have to be seasoned for decades or just aged after being fired?
User avatar
gasninja
 
Posts: 609
Joined: Mar 10th, '
Location: Mount Zion

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

Postby bagua7 » Dec 29th, '12, 03:21

Thanks guys, we are all a "little" family in here.

Gasninja, join us for a tea brewing session and you'll see that I am not making things up. Also some recommended readings for you:

City of Lingering Splendour

Chinese Art of Tea

Wisdom comes with age and experience, and so do older pots. The Buddha didn't become enlightened in one lifetime, really, he cultivated his mind for countless lifetimes.

Besides (and quoting from Blofeld's second book):

"The art of tea is artless in that it is practised with the maximum of informality and freedom from restriction. There are no rules to be observed other than those pertaining to making fine tea in such a manner that its flavour and aroma are at their best........Getting the fullest satisfaction from the tea requires special state of mind analogous to what the Buddhists mean by awareness. This is achieved by attending to the responses of all the six senses: hearing, smelling, tasting, seeing, touching and consciousness. Once it has become habitual, there is no need to bestow further thought on it."

:)
User avatar
bagua7
 
Posts: 1193
Joined: Jul 21st, '

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

Postby the_economist » Dec 29th, '12, 09:54

ImmortaliTEA wrote:I was of the opinion that if a Hei Ni pot had sand mixed in then it was to be referred as Hei-Sha so I apologize if that was incorrect. About the aroma: if these pots are in fact the same exact ones I got from Sample Tea, then yes they are clearly labeled as low medium fired and I realize some people only like high-fired pots but I personally have quite a few low and low medium fired pots that brew great cups of tea for me.


Ah that's the comparison? These are not low fired, in fact I think they are pretty high fired. Very smooth to touch, pretty high pitched for a dark clay.

In any case, I brewed a round of 3 stamp shuixian in it and it was lovely :)
User avatar
the_economist
 
Posts: 571
Joined: Sep 4th, '1

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

Postby brunogm » Dec 29th, '12, 10:47

I will try myself at this game. This will not be a "show off". I am keenly aware that my modest possessions do not hold a candle to some of the pots in this thread. Also, the pictures are taken with a phone, so they are poor quality.

However, these two pots give me satisfaction, because I feel they are achieving what I read proper pots should achieve: they keep the aroma intact and just seem to be altering the body by making it slightly "smoother" or "rounder", somewhat heavier. They also remove some bitterness and astringency.

1st pot

- Clay type: no clue. High fired. Teapot is made in Taiwan.
- Size of pot: 90 ml.
- What year/decade the pot was made: this looks like a recent pot.
- Thin walled.
- How long is the pour? about 10 seconds.
- Where you acquired the pot: local shop.
- What type of tea you make with it: this pot was supposed to be good for Gao Shan Cha, but I am using it exclusively for modern-style (low oxydation and light roast) Tie Guan Yin.

Color is changing with lightning so I took picture in two different rooms:
http://i1304.photobucket.com/albums/s53 ... ecfb54.jpg
http://i1304.photobucket.com/albums/s53 ... d662a8.jpg
There is something written on the bottom, probably a signature:
http://i1304.photobucket.com/albums/s53 ... 677b5b.jpg

Second pot is odd. I find the shape a bit weird. In the vendor's own words it is: "a pot made recently, but with a blend of old Yixing clays" and "not top clay quality, but good enough to brew a decent yancha". Which is exactly what this teapot does.
Beside its shape, this teapot has two characteristics:
- huge heat retention, this may be due to its thickness rather than to the clay.
- huge aroma retention. I tried some Tie Guan Yin in it. I had to wash and dry the teapot 3 days in a row to get rid of the Tie Guan Yin smell.
http://i1304.photobucket.com/albums/s53 ... c5c969.jpg
http://i1304.photobucket.com/albums/s53 ... ab2bd3.jpg

- Clay type: supposedly a blend of old Yixing clays. I cannot tell if it is medium or high fired.
- Size of pot: 100 ml.
- What year/decade the pot was made: this is a recent pot.
- Thick walled.
- How long is the pour? very quick, about 6 seconds.
- Where you acquired the pot: another local shop.
- What type of tea you make with it: Wuyi yancha (except Bai Ji Guan).
brunogm
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Dec 18th, '

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

Postby gasninja » Dec 29th, '12, 13:33

bagua7 wrote:Thanks guys, we are all a "little" family in here.

Gasninja, join us for a tea brewing session and you'll see that I am not making things up. Also some recommended readings for you:

:)

I was genuinely interested in the answer.
User avatar
gasninja
 
Posts: 609
Joined: Mar 10th, '
Location: Mount Zion

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

Postby ImmortaliTEA » Dec 29th, '12, 15:20

the_economist wrote:
ImmortaliTEA wrote:I was of the opinion that if a Hei Ni pot had sand mixed in then it was to be referred as Hei-Sha so I apologize if that was incorrect. About the aroma: if these pots are in fact the same exact ones I got from Sample Tea, then yes they are clearly labeled as low medium fired and I realize some people only like high-fired pots but I personally have quite a few low and low medium fired pots that brew great cups of tea for me.


Ah that's the comparison? These are not low fired, in fact I think they are pretty high fired. Very smooth to touch, pretty high pitched for a dark clay.

In any case, I brewed a round of 3 stamp shuixian in it and it was lovely :)


Did you not acquire them from Sampletea?
User avatar
ImmortaliTEA
 
Posts: 227
Joined: Apr 12th, '
Location: Sunrise, FL

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

Postby Ambrose » Dec 29th, '12, 18:16

80's factory 1 nian gao tu zhuni

size: about 75ml, super silky very tender material
source: tea friend from malaysia
tea pairing: yancha

Makes the brew smooth, soft, thick, very sweet and all the notes sing clearer with a very long lasting aftertaste on the tongue and throat.

*I found after more testing that this pot makes excellent roasted or oxidized fisted oolongs instead of yancha in my opinion.
Attachments
80's-factory1-nian-gao-tu.JPG
freshly cleaned teapot
80's-factory1-nian-gao-tu.JPG (45.33 KiB) Viewed 754 times
80's-factory1-nian-gao-tu-yancha.JPG
80's-factory1-nian-gao-tu-yancha.JPG (49.67 KiB) Viewed 754 times
Last edited by Ambrose on Dec 31st, '12, 17:33, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
Ambrose
 
Posts: 303
Joined: Jan 2nd, '1
Location: South Texas

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

Postby tingjunkie » Dec 29th, '12, 23:47

Nice Taiwanese pot brunogm!

Love that shui ping too Ambrose! Now you just have to cut that lid leash off. :wink:
User avatar
tingjunkie
 
Posts: 1373
Joined: Jul 8th, '0
Location: NYC

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

Postby Ambrose » Dec 30th, '12, 01:12

haha thank you TJ :) I usually cut them off, I've hesitated on this one for some reason but I'm sure I will cut it off soon :D
User avatar
Ambrose
 
Posts: 303
Joined: Jan 2nd, '1
Location: South Texas

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

Postby MarshalN » Dec 30th, '12, 03:11

Those things really are dangerous, the leashes.
User avatar
MarshalN
 
Posts: 2041
Joined: Mar 15th, '

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

Postby Tead Off » Dec 30th, '12, 23:40

MarshalN wrote:Those things really are dangerous, the leashes.

In over 20 years of using leashed pots, I've never broken one. The only lid I've broken was on an un-leashed zisha about 10 years ago. However, I have recently unleashed my teapots so we'll see how it goes!

Why do you think they are dangerous?
User avatar
Tead Off
Vendor Member
 
Posts: 3211
Joined: Apr 1st, '0
Location: Bangkok

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

Postby tea_love » Dec 31st, '12, 01:08

Tead Off wrote:
MarshalN wrote:Those things really are dangerous, the leashes.

In over 20 years of using leashed pots, I've never broken one. The only lid I've broken was on an un-leashed zisha about 10 years ago. However, I have recently unleashed my teapots so we'll see how it goes!

Why do you think they are dangerous?


not sure if there are other reasons, to me it is dangerous when it doesnt hold the lid. Once I poured hot water over my pot and the leash was loosen and didnt hold the lid when I poured. I was lucky because the drop didnt break my lid. From that moment I decided to cut the leash and try to be careful when pouring.
User avatar
tea_love
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Dec 12th, '
Location: Montreal Canada

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

Postby Tead Off » Dec 31st, '12, 02:11

tea_love wrote:
Tead Off wrote:
MarshalN wrote:Those things really are dangerous, the leashes.

In over 20 years of using leashed pots, I've never broken one. The only lid I've broken was on an un-leashed zisha about 10 years ago. However, I have recently unleashed my teapots so we'll see how it goes!

Why do you think they are dangerous?


not sure if there are other reasons, to me it is dangerous when it doesnt hold the lid. Once I poured hot water over my pot and the leash was loosen and didnt hold the lid when I poured. I was lucky because the drop didnt break my lid. From that moment I decided to cut the leash and try to be careful when pouring.

It sounds like yours was not tied properly or somehow loosened over time. All the ones I had were as tight and strong as they were 20+ years ago.
User avatar
Tead Off
Vendor Member
 
Posts: 3211
Joined: Apr 1st, '0
Location: Bangkok

PreviousNext

Instant Messenger

Permissions
You cannot post new topics
You cannot reply to topics
You cannot edit your posts
You cannot delete your posts
You cannot post attachments
Navigation