Dec 31st, '12, 01:22

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

by Poohblah » Dec 31st, '12, 01:22

Those leashes are really easy to make yourself in case you find yourself needing to tighten or replace one. The knot is a standard alternating overhand macrame knot; those of us who went to summer camps as kids may have learned to make bracelets or necklaces in arts and crafts using the same technique.

Dec 31st, '12, 02:06

by wyardley » Dec 31st, '12, 02:06

tea_love wrote: not sure if there are other reasons, to me it is dangerous when it doesnt hold the lid. Once I poured hot water over my pot and the leash was loosen and didnt hold the lid when I poured. I was lucky because the drop didnt break my lid. From that moment I decided to cut the leash and try to be careful when pouring.
One problem is that the lid can swing and hit the pot itself, depending on the length of the cord. Also, the cord can make it hard to rest the lid somewhere safe, leading you to have to prop it against the pot in a way where it can fall. Too-short cords have their own problems, including making it very hard to take the lid on or off sometimes.

If you do have the cord, it's important that the length be exactly right -- not too short and not too long.

The string can be useful in a couple of ways, though. One way is the way Cloud suggested, to identify different pots that look the same (no need to actually have the "leash" for this, though, just some knotwork around the handle). The other is to help out your fingers a bit (in terms of temperature).

I have one pot with the cord, but for the most part, I don't use it.

Dec 31st, '12, 16:10
Vendor Member

by TIM » Dec 31st, '12, 16:10

Clay: Zisha (Purple Sand)
Size: 450 ml
Age/Year: 2005
Marks: Master Jiang Meihua
Walls: Thick (for the proportion). Med./High fired
Pour: Smooth / Strong & Straight clean / No drips.
Source: Master Jiang Meihua Studio Yixing
Tea Pairing: Traditional Yixing Kung Fu Red.
Info: Great for group session. Lid fit perfectly with great and fast strong pour. This perfectly fired pot soaks in heat like stone while retaining warmth, and slowly release the energy. Perfect for traditional yixing high oxidization kung fu red. The sand rounds up the structure, brighten the high notes and thicken the texture of the brew.

Classic example of the sand quality of Yixing Zisha (Purple sand). A jade glow with buttery texture develop with continues usage.

Dec 31st, '12, 17:48

by tingjunkie » Dec 31st, '12, 17:48

Masterful indeed. Nice one TIM!

Jan 1st, '13, 02:43

by ImmortaliTEA » Jan 1st, '13, 02:43

I've seen this shape with the thimble looking lid knob (that's the only appropriate analogy I could think of lol) hundreds of times and none of them ever seemed special. But this one here you can clearly see the difference in craftsmanship. Brandon you were definitely right on the money when you said that Master made pots were more about the "little details" or subtle nuances. What beautiful clay. I wasn't even aware Zi Sha came in that dark and it intrigues me now to go on a hunt to find more pure Zi Sha for myself and to learn to differentiate it better. Thanks Tim yet again. Another Masterpiece (literally)!

Jan 1st, '13, 05:37

by ImmortaliTEA » Jan 1st, '13, 05:37

Clay: Zi Sha
Size: 70 ml
Age/Year: Modern- late 2000's.
Walls: Thick.
Pour: +/- 6 sec. No drips. Perfect lid fit. Pour is akin to a beautiful stream.
Source: Christmas Gift (with the tray as well)
Tea Pairing: Wuyi Yan Cha (Especially of the higher fired varieties)
Info:Sorry Guys this was more of a show-off the new tea tray sneak maneuver lol. It just so happens that the holidays are a great time for giving. Especially in an Italian Family like mine. Receiving would also have to be expected as the obvious polar opposite or yang to giving's yin. I just happened to be on that side of the equation at that particular moment :D when this 50 lb. package from RB arrived at my front door marked "Merry Christmas Nick, from the family. We love you!" Sorry to get all gushy on you but it was an emotional moment :cry: (lol). and yes I was serious when I said it was a 50 lb. package. There seems to be an incredibly dense (by the sound of it) igneous type stone that originates solely in Qinghai, China (According to RB). This is where the 50 lbs. comes in. It is a single square slab of stone about 20 in. x 20 in. rounded out with a large circle carved in (symbolizing Heaven & Earth) with straining holes and a gradual tilt of the inner circle so as to direct the flow of runoff tea water into a drawer underneath or tube in bucket. I absolutely love every single aspect of this Tea Tray and I think I'll be able to use it forever. I am somewhat skeptical about how any stone can be this hard so as to sound like metal like this one but others have told me this is possible for some stones. All I know is that it was probably the most perfect Christmas gift I've ever received and I have so much more room to work with now. Sorry for yet another long post but I often find it difficult to convey my intense amount of emotion for something with such few words. Even this whole tray being not even 1/6th of the size of one of Tim's Extraordinary Tea Tables and is probably the closest i'm gonna get to the greatness of my favorite tables of his collection is a profound blessing and I am so excited to have received it. Oh yes by the way the Fang Gu is a wonderful Xiao Pin 70 ml Wide Opening, Fast Pouring, Thick Walled Zi Sha wonder pot that my uncle in China bought me as well for Christmas. Happy Holidays and a Happy New Year Tim and everyone else here in the TeaChat CommuniTEA! (Sorry Tim I know this phrase is yours it just fit so perfect here though I hope you don't mind!)

Jan 1st, '13, 14:55

by tingjunkie » Jan 1st, '13, 14:55

Nice tray!

Jan 1st, '13, 17:32
Vendor Member

by TIM » Jan 1st, '13, 17:32

tingjunkie wrote:Nice tray!
+1

Jan 1st, '13, 17:43

by debunix » Jan 1st, '13, 17:43

Nice yixing, and really nice tray. Wow. That was a heck of a gift. Just the shipping alone must have been quite a pretty penny.

Jan 1st, '13, 21:49

by tingjunkie » Jan 1st, '13, 21:49

ImmortaliTEA wrote: Clay: Zi Sha
Nice pot too! In light of recent discussions about the various meanings of zisha, I'm not sure your pot is the specific sandy purple clay. The texture looks too smooth and shiny. Still looks like good clay though. :wink:

Jan 2nd, '13, 05:52

by ImmortaliTEA » Jan 2nd, '13, 05:52

tingjunkie wrote:
ImmortaliTEA wrote: Clay: Zi Sha
Nice pot too! In light of recent discussions about the various meanings of zisha, I'm not sure your pot is the specific sandy purple clay. The texture looks too smooth and shiny. Still looks like good clay though. :wink:
Thanks everyone. Yes it's possible that its Zini or Pin Zini but there are many small sandy particles throughout so that's why I was thinking Zi Sha as well as what seems like a slightly buttery satin texture but either way it brews some of the best Yan Cha I've ever had especially with the newly special ordered Poland Spring water which is rare in south Florida but so amazing so I had to get it.

Jan 3rd, '13, 21:33
Scrolling: fixed

by TomVerlain » Jan 3rd, '13, 21:33

that is a great tea table - as a present it must add to the specialness of using it as well.

Jan 5th, '13, 18:50

by heliospace » Jan 5th, '13, 18:50

I've been learning as much as I can about Yixing teapots. I've made tea without knowing in silly mud clays. I've acquired some lead testing kits. I have some factory-1 pots as well as a CCCI pot. But then today, this one arrived...and I finally felt like I had something I could show off. I don't know what any of the writing means. But I sure find it pretty! And hope you all will like it as well. It's going to sit until I figure out what to pair it with. That's a learning process in all of itself. I have a tea guru friend who turned me onto tea a year ago who I will likely consult with and see what he says after he relocates his tea business this month.

Thanks for looking

Jan 6th, '13, 06:34
Scrolling: scrolling

by brandon » Jan 6th, '13, 06:34

Heavy lid, fat belly. Pairing with traditional da hong pao, 2007.

Jan 6th, '13, 09:58

by ImmortaliTEA » Jan 6th, '13, 09:58

brandon wrote:Image

Heavy lid, fat belly. Pairing with traditional da hong pao, 2007.
Nice b. what's the size of this one?

+ Post Reply